Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have just picked up an X-Files with no sound. I have checked voltages going into board and all ok, and the voltage reg chip that the +5V and -5V are there. Looks like someone has tried to repair it as the chip socket had been replaced. If you put your finger on the capacitors next to the Amp's you hear a loud hum from the relevant speaker so confident this part of the circuit is ok. Have ordered new sound / music / speech ROM's so waiting on those in case they are the problem. Any other pointers or testing help much appreciated, I do have a scope; logic probe and meter to do testing.

Cheers
Brian

1 week later
#2 10 years ago

Any help please as not getting anywhere currently. I have installed a new set of sound / speech ROM's and tested as previously. The 6mhz signal is there from the BMT chip as is the 24Mhz signal from crystal oscillator.

#3 10 years ago

Hope you figure it out. Sadly, I am of no help...

There are some who feel that no sound from an X-files is a slight improvement over the stock sound system, however...

Sorry

#4 10 years ago

This may not exactly help, but it could be a potentially useful tangent. I've done the Stereo Mod on both my X-files and Star Wars Trilogy. With my skills, I usually order at least double of everything needed. You may want to do the mod, and see if you get output on the new channel.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/speaker/index.html

Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any other way.

#5 10 years ago

Just to check the CPU / Sound board is a 520-5136-00 but the Stern website states it should be a 520-5136-10?

4 months later
#6 10 years ago

Did you ever get anywhere on this? I've had an X-Files for a while now, and the sound was working just fine up until recently. The game had been powered off for a while. Since then, it powers up, I hear humming from the speakers, but there is no sound. Foo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods
Rubber/Silicone

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-x-files-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.