Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by woody76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gallatinfly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello All,

I’m seeking input from the Pinside community. I currently own 5 Bally/Williams pins and I’m looking to add another game to my collection. My wife and I are considering adding a Sega. I’ve searched through past posts and have seen a bunch of threads favorable to sega and data East games, but what I’m really hoping to learn about is build quality. Specifically, information on overall quality, electronics, cabinets, etc. I’ve read they feel different from Bally/Williams games but are they significantly inferior or just different? Are there common issues which plague them?

#5 3 years ago

Thank you all, great info. I’ve played a couple of Sega games in the past but they were in rough shape and I couldn’t get a fair assessment.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Look at my collection. Lots of B/W and baywatch and batman forever. I think the large dmd era sega games are built very well. All play the same as my other games when all set up right.

Baywatch is a title we’re considering. Glad to see it resides among a bunch of B/W games and you enjoy how it plays.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I had a Data East Jurassic Park and Last Action Hero. Both were built like tanks. The build quality of both machines was fantastic from a cabnitry point of view, and the machines were actually substantially heavier than a standard Bally Williams. I want to say a DE is closer to 300#s while a B/W is usually closer to 250#s. Art and sound are subpart to B/W machines. I am still haunted by newman's fingers on my JP. Electronics and reliability wise... I think they are pretty interchangeable. I think keeping a DE pin working requires the exact skillset that a B/Ws one does. As far as bang for your buck, DE is pretty solid. Think about what comes on a JP or a LAH. JP had a moving dinosaur that ate the freaking ball. LAH had 2 captive ballse, 3 magnets under playfield, a moving crane that interacted with the ball, and the worst art package in pinball. On paper it beats TAF, but in practice it falls short. Would not hesitate to buy a mid-90s Data East.

They definitely seem to have a lot of bang for the buck, especially as B/W prices keep climbing and climbing. I like how Sega and Data East weren’t afraid to mix things up on games. For example, 13 ball multi ball on Apollo 13. From a playing point of view it’s too much, but I respect how they took the chance to do something totally different.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from per3per3:

I had a nice baywatch that I recently sold...but agree with others that's it's a great game with a lot of fun shots and plenty to do. The large format colorDMD looks awesome for that machine. I also agree that shopping them out and/or installing LEDs (mainly the GIs) is not super fun. You basically have to disassemble the entire playfield to get to most of the GI bulbs which are buried under ramps, wireforms, plastics, and other things. For the DE and Sega games, the GI sockets are stapled in from the underside of the playfield vs. screwed in like B/W games...no bueno. I'd suggest getting one where the LEDs have already been redone to save you the hassle
    Also, if you can find one, the enerGI maestro board is a nice thing to have. They were kinda like the LED OCD boards (these don't work for DE/Sega games), but also have the added benefit of eliminating the annoying flasher relay clicking that these games all have.
    Finally, if you get something like a Baywatch, I'd definitely install the chad code from pinballcode.com. His code updates cover several more popular DE/Sega games and definitely great additions to your gameplay experience.

Great intel on the bulbs, board and code!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

I have a DE JP and a DE TFTC and several WMS/Bally games in my collection as well as a JJP and a Stern. Honestly they are all excellent games.
    I am a huge fan of TFTC and it gets as much play as any of my WMS/Bally games. The same skillset that is required to successfully troubleshoot WMS/Bally games will transfer over to supporting your DE/Sega titles.
    I was a little apprehensive when I purchased my first DE title (JP), but that was unwarranted. For the most part pinball is pinball and as long as the manufacturer was reputable and in business for several years you can find parts and repair your machines as needed.
    My DE machines are very, very solidly built and sit right next to my WMS/Bally titles and look and play great.
    Gord

With yours and everyone else’s comments here I feel far more comfortable taking the leap. It’s extremely helpful hearing detailed first-hand information.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

The DE/Sega games do feel different and alot of people don't like that. I own a DE JP and it's one of the few DE titles I like enough to own (and the theme is top 2 for me, which helps). I owned a Baywatch and liked it, it was just the low man on the totem pole unfortunately when something needed to go to buy my Road Show.
    I think the biggest gameplay differences you will notice are the flippers as has been mentioned alot and the playfield design and shot feel. DE and Sega games tend to not shoot as smooth as B/W games IMO and feel clunkier. Some are worse than others for sure, and of course on any game it helps when you are consistently making your shots, but I notice a pretty big difference in the way the games shoot. At least to me, the Sega games tend to feel a bit better and have better rules that are closer to 90s B/W rule sets. The art and theme on alot of these titles isn't great either, and the sound leaves alot to be desired.
    You will hear the "bang for the buck" thrown around alot with these games, but there is a reason they don't command as much money or desire as the B/W games, and it's not because they are top secret games no one has heard about . Yes, LAH does have like 18 magnets, a crane, two spinners, etc. - but when the game isn't fun to play, does it really matter how much crap they crammed into it?
    It probably sounds like I hate these games, which isn't true, I will likely have my JP for ever, and I'd own Baywatch again, and I'd like to have a Goldeneye at some point - heck, Lost In Space of all games I have a good time playing, but they do have a different feel to them.
    That all said - if you want a DE/Sega game just because you don't own one, you will probably be disappointed. If you've played one and you know you like it...then there ya go!

Is the flipper clunkiness something that happens over time or is it that way right out of the box? Do you think a complete flipper rebuild would make a difference? I had a B/W Black Rose and the flippers didn’t have that typical smooth B/W feel, they were a bit clunky. It didn’t really bother me because they were strong and did not affect gameplay.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gallatinfly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-vs-bally-williams?tu=Gallatinfly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.