(Topic ID: 119126)

Sega trough opto question

By tp

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So my sega was acting up,where as when it came to me to start 2nd ball the ball wouldn't eject from the ball trough. I tracked the problem down to the receiver opto. If I pushed on a certain part of it ball would pop up like normal and work for awhile.
I ordered a new receiver opto. When I plug it in it says 2 balls are in when none are. When I align it where it's suppose to go the transmitter shines on it but says balls are still there. No matter what I do it does not recognized that balls are not there. If I start a game it says to many balls even if the correct amount are installed. Is this a case of the new opto being bad? If I plug in old opto balls register switch 14 15 just like new opto but goes away when I align it....with no balls in trough. Thanks for any help.

#2 9 years ago

This is a link to the technical service bulletin for troubleshooting and repairing the optos:
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb67.pdf

#3 9 years ago

Hi I also had a similar problem on my starship troopers....It drove me nuts when I finally installed a new reciever opto and it still did not work. The old one I could put my finger on a it worked.

In the end I also ordered a transmitting opto......that worked right away! I guess you cannot use the old and new optos mixed.

hope this helps,

Bas

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from BasD:

Hi I also had a similar problem on my Starship Troopers....It drove me nuts when I finally installed a new reciever opto and it still did not work. The old one I could put my finger on a it worked.
In the end I also ordered a transmitting opto......that worked right away! I guess you cannot use the old and new optos mixed.
hope this helps,
Bas

I've heard this also, almost bought both when ordering and wayout thanks for the link.

#5 9 years ago

I had to push on the switch every once in a while to stop the ball ejector from constantly working even though no balls were present. Using a magnifying glass, I found cracked solder on the transmitter. Once I reflowed the solder, all was well. Good luck!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-trough-opto-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.