(Topic ID: 11293)

Sega Starship Troopers - anybody familiar with it?

By examiner

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Discuss, ridicule, praise (unlikely I know).

Anybody have time on one? Sometimes things fall into your lap that aren't even remotely on the radar, and this is one of them. I have a good idea of what it's worth, just not sure it's really worth it (if you know what I mean). Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

I played this pin several times. It's got some really cool toys on the machine and great sound effects. From what I understand it's kinda a sleeper pin (if you get it at a good price). I liked the theme, but since it's made by Sega it won't get too much love in the pinball community. Good luck on your choice!

#3 12 years ago

Fun game! Fast, nice flow, good variety of shots, the mini flipper adds an extra skill factor.

Not crazy about the art package as a whole, but the cabinet art is one of the worst ever.

#4 12 years ago

Great input, I totally agree. This is a sleeper, great pin, great shots, art lacks. If the price is right and you do not like it, I think you would be able to sell it pretty quickly at the right price. I would enjoy having SST in my collection someday.

#5 12 years ago

I used to play one on route near me all the time. Some of the Michael Ironside callouts can get a little grating after a while, but I really like the game overall. It's probably my favorite Sega.

#6 12 years ago

Sell in the 950-1200 range. Fun game odd theme to me.
Cant get past the look of the PF and that back box.
Always fun to mess with at auctions.

#7 12 years ago

Owned it..Played it.. Sold it.

#8 12 years ago

Awesome game.. great lightshow. Brainbug shot is cool, and the "Live Fire Exercise" multiball gets the blood pumping. This game gets progressively harder as you make it through the planets.. sorta like AFM that way. Hate the convex head though.. makes it a real pain to move if it doesn't have the lockdown brackets.

Great flow as well. I'm looking to get another one someday.

Why do people hate Sega pins? They're just DE/Stern pins with a Sega logo on them. I don't get it.

#9 12 years ago

...They are horrible to work on!

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Why do people hate Sega pins? They're just DE/Stern pins with a Sega logo on them. I don't get it.

Haters are going to hate. Just look at what the guy is saying below me.

#11 12 years ago

Out of 147 machines I have.. The only DE i have is.. Guess what?!

In for repair.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Out of 147 machines I have.. The only DE i have is.. Guess what?!

In for repair.

I only have only one DE, and it breaks less often than any of my others.

#13 12 years ago

Excellent.

You're one lucky pin owner.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

...They are horrible to work on!

Actually I'll give you that.. shopping SST was worse than shopping a STTNG.

#15 12 years ago

TFTC - HORRIBLE!

#16 12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I own a TFTC, so I'm used to the "feeling" (I'll refrain from using the word clunky) and I'm also used to seeing a burnt out GI bulb buried beneath 20 layers of topside things. And yes, on occasion I've had to completely pull the playfield out of the cabinet to work on something that shouldn't really be that difficult to get to. Despite those annoyances, it's been 100% rock solid since I went through it and got it going. I do find the B/W pins easier to work on, but you do what you gotta do I guess.

I figure dismembered bodies on the playfield and blood splattered pop bumper caps will sit nicely next to the TFTC. And in general I think it's hard to go wrong with a late '90's DMD pin in this price range (OK, I know that usually means they suck bad, but it seems to have it's fans). Anyway, sounds like it's worth a rotation through the lineup at a minimum. Thanks again.

#17 12 years ago

Tftc is a great game...as is jp gnr Tommy msf. Sst. Bf ...

Keep up with your de/Sega ignorance and bias...means less competition

#18 12 years ago

I think he just means TFTC was horrible to shop / work on.. but.. I could be wrong (it's been known to happen).

#19 12 years ago

I think he just means TFTC was horrible to shop / work on..

That was my take on it as well. That's the main problem with a forum like this. It's easy for someone to misinterpret what you're trying to say.

#20 12 years ago

I don't see how I could misinterpret the statement he has 147 machines and only ONE of those is a DE/Sega, and that ONE is broke. That's a pretty biased statement towards DE/Sega and hard to imagine it is even true. As for shopping TFTC, he said his one DE was IN for repair, which indicates to me he doesn't shop his own games...so how would one conclude that TFTC horrible was referring to TFTC was horrible to shop? I've shopped one TFTC to the bare bones and about to do another one, and it was no where near as difficult as ST:TNG or even CFTBL, two WMS/Bally machines I did complete tear downs on.

Lastly, it was more of a joke my comment than an attempt to slam him. I've tired of the whole DE/SEGA vs WMS fanboy arguments over the 10 years I've been in this hobby so I don't even let it bother me anymore....Again, more great games for me

#21 12 years ago

I played it at one of the Pinball Shows. It was pretty cool. I could have bought it for $950. But, a guy pulled me aside and said they were hard to work on and hard to get parts for. That did it....I got the T2 instead.

#22 12 years ago

I have a SST and I think it's a fun game. Not the most deep game, but a good shooter with some decent flow with the ramps and orbit shots.

I did put in leds when I pulled everything apart to shop it. Some of those bulbs are really buried in there and there is no easy way to get to them.

Screeching bugs can also get on your nerves. Good game for the price.

#23 12 years ago

I really enjoyed my SST and I'm sorry I sold it. Never really had any major problems with the pin but the one issue I hated was all the GI is stapled to the playfield rather than screwed. If you need to change a bulb you have to change it from the top side of the playfield.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from fxdwgmb:

If you need to change a bulb you have to change it from the top side of the playfield.

Which AIN'T easy at all.. ugh.. the nightmares..

#25 12 years ago

The play field looks like a child's playroom floor. Never tried it thou, seems fun.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

BVM said:TFTC - HORRIBLE!
Tftc is a great game...as is jp gnr Tommy msf. Sst. Bf ...
Keep up with your de/Sega ignorance and bias...means less competition

I was disputing the game play..

#27 12 years ago

I think he just means TFTC was horrible to shop / work on.. but.. I could be wrong (it's been known to happen).

Correct

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't see how I could misinterpret the statement he has 147 machines and only ONE of those is a DE/Sega, and that ONE is broke. That's a pretty biased statement towards DE/Sega and hard to imagine it is even true. As for shopping TFTC, he said his one DE was IN for repair, which indicates to me he doesn't shop his own games...so how would one conclude that TFTC horrible was referring to TFTC was horrible to shop? I've shopped one TFTC to the bare bones and about to do another one, and it was no where near as difficult as ST:TNG or even CFTBL, two WMS/Bally machines I did complete tear downs on.
Lastly, it was more of a joke my comment than an attempt to slam him. I've tired of the whole DE/SEGA vs WMS fanboy arguments over the 10 years I've been in this hobby so I don't even let it bother me anymore....Again, more great games for me

P.s Do not assume, son.. It makes an ASS out of U and ME!

You have an opinion & so do i..

How large/small is your collection?

P.s Why on Earth would I shop a customers pin if they only want it fixing?

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I've tired of the whole DE/SEGA vs WMS fanboy arguments over the 10 years I've been in this hobby so I don't even let it bother me anymore....Again, more great games for me

Yet you type an essay.. Interesting contradiction.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from Snurdley:

Just look at what the guy is saying below me

Great edit.

#31 12 years ago

#32 12 years ago

You contradict yourself in two consecutive posts....nice job

"I was disputing gameplay".....

"Correct" re:I think he just means TFTC is horrible to shop / work on....

As for the size of my collection, you have a complex? I play my games...By your admission, you have customers, so you do you even play your "145" games?

No worries...admire your 144 NON-DE games, and I'll admire my two DE/SEGA games and we'll all be happy

#33 12 years ago

Typo.. *wasn't instead of was.

Yes, we have to play our 145 tables.. Moving parts & all.

Simple Physics

I'm English.. I'm always happy.

#34 12 years ago

Jeez.. Anyone would of thought by your stance that i'd come into your house on Xmas day & groomed your kids (if you have any).

Chill..

#35 12 years ago

Toys are cheap looking, but the game is fast and a ton of fun. Need a few machines for lasting ability. My friend has one, and this is what i look forward to playing the most at his place. The flashers are INSANE on this game. I actually don't mind draining as the flashing light show is uber cool.

The toys are just that, kids toys, and make the game look cheap. It's a better Sega machine though. I may buy his one day. You don't see them come up for sale much.

#36 12 years ago

...Where as across the pond (England)

3 are listed on ebay.co.uk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-starship-troopers-anybody-familiar-with-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.