New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 200506)

Sega SST - No GI and other issues -need help please

By Matt_johnson

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Matt_johnson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a Star Ship Troopers. Most everything is working fine but I don't have any GI. I have checked the voltage coming in to the board at J14 and it's 7vac. If I have checked correctly at J15 (going out to GI) I get 5vac. Not sure what to check next?

Also F7 was blown but when I replaced it the green flashers came on and stayed on. Pretty sure that's not right so I pulled the fuse. I have no idea what could be causing that. something shorted I assume.

I'd really appreciate any help or ideas on where to start looking to solve these issues.

thanks guys,

#2 3 years ago

GI bulbs good ? AC power at the sockets ? If you don't have AC power at the sockets, work your way back to the board and see if you can find where it stops.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

GI bulbs good ? AC power at the sockets ? If you don't have AC power at the sockets, work your way back to the board and see if you can find where it stops.

Yeah, I'm getting continuity to the sockets I have checked but no voltage. I guess it's getting grounded. You're right I have to work my way thru. Damn! LOL. I always get confused with AC.

#4 3 years ago

So on the flashers it's not any different then a locked coil I suspect a bad TIP - had a few of those on segas / data easts I have owned in the past. The manual will get you yo the right board component rather fast. Do you know how to test them if not PINwiki will hook you up.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So on the flashers it's not any different then a locked coil I suspect a bad TIP - had a few of those on segas / data easts I have owned in the past. The manual will get you yo the right board component rather fast. Do you know how to test them if not PINwiki will hook you up.

Okay, I found that it's a TIP122 Q27. I'll pull the board tomorrow and check that. I think I have replacements. I can check them but I always have to have instructions in front of me

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Matt_johnson:

Okay, I found that it's a TIP122 Q27. I'll pull the board tomorrow and check that. I think I have replacements. I can check them but I always have to have instructions in front of me

Same half the time they are split wide open.

#7 3 years ago

I'm an idiot, I just remembered when I got this home and played a couple games I noticed the left sling wasn't working and discovered that there was a ball stuffed under the sling plastic and tightly wedged against the sling switch and a broken GI bulb. I guess I'll have to check what happens when those are shorted together to find my problem. The switches do work. seems odd that all GI is out.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Blow a fuse ?

Nope. I pulled and checked all of the GI fuses and all were good.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Thanks Guys! A bad TIP122 at Q27 was causing both issues. All fixed.

I'll probably find some other issues while shopping it out, but this was the main one.

#11 3 years ago

On a side note: the game is fan friggin' tastic. I'm glad that I finally picked one up.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Matt_johnson:

On a side note: the game is fan friggin' tastic. I'm glad that I finally picked one up.

First game loved it millions of plays three right guesses and two killed them all's enjoy! Also when shopping keeping an eye on the shaft for the warrior bug he bends and is hard to find a replacement for. Also the switches seem to break the big plastic housing ones Marco had them a few years back.

#13 3 years ago

Thanks for the tips

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
PinSound
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sun Valley, NV
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 26.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside