Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 401 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nurtuo
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Decide the fate of this newfangled Outrun DX. Should it have white or black letters on the tires?”

• White 64 votes
      73%
    • Black 5 votes
      6%
    • You choose, its you're stupid machine. 10 votes
      11%
    • This question is racist and i'll have no part of it. 9 votes
      10%

(88 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4312 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4314 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 8.25.04 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4268 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4266 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4265 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4263 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4267 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4264 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4262 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4211 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4215 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4214 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4201 (resized).jpg
    There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 8 years ago

Hi, I'm currently restoring an upright and was wondering if you would part with that slick steering wheel? My outrun has a non SEGA wheel on it. I have a spare shifter if you want it?
    Thanks Sean

#102 8 years ago

Amazing work on the plastics, those primed pics look so smooth. You may of come across my OutRun86 blog being interested in OutRun but if not there are some nice pics in the Gallery section of deluxe machines. Can wait to see how this turns out.

Here's my blog www.outrun86.wordpress.com

Cheers,

Sean

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

This is a cool project! Great work so far! Just curious, about how much does an average condition working version of this machine go for. I wouldn't mind one for my game room. How about an average condition working version of Afterburner deluxe?

A fully working unit I have seen go for between $500-800 over the past 20 years. Pristine examples $1,100+. Sadly allot of them got completely disassembled and dumped or left outdoors due to storage constraints.

#104 8 years ago

Yeah, I'll PM you, we can work something out.

Quoted from OutRun86:

Hi, I'm currently restoring an upright and was wondering if you would part with that slick steering wheel? My outrun has a non SEGA wheel on it. I have a spare shifter if you want it?
    Thanks Sean

#105 8 years ago

Yes I have actually - I love your website!!

Quoted from OutRun86:

Amazing work on the plastics, those primed pics look so smooth. You may of come across my OutRun86 blog being interested in OutRun but if not there are some nice pics in the Gallery section of deluxe machines. Can wait to see how this turns out.
    Here's my blog http://www.outrun86.wordpress.com
    Cheers,
    Sean

#106 8 years ago

These cleaned right up with just water. Wish all the other crap was so easy to clean.

IMG_5789_(resized).jpgIMG_5789_(resized).jpg

#107 8 years ago

Bummer, my Star Wars restore just got tossed down to the basement. Be warned that this might be too.

Time for an official "arcade restorations documented" section that's non-basement.

#108 8 years ago

Powder coating!!

IMG_5667_(resized).jpgIMG_5667_(resized).jpg

IMG_5669_(resized).jpgIMG_5669_(resized).jpg

#109 8 years ago

IMG_5653_(resized).jpgIMG_5653_(resized).jpg

IMG_5654_(resized).jpgIMG_5654_(resized).jpg

#110 8 years ago

Figures, a few whiners are very loud. I'll have my own site up soon so it won't matter. You can post there when its done

Quoted from seshpilot:

Bummer, my Star Wars restore just got tossed down to the basement. Be warned that this might be too.
    Time for an official "arcade restorations documented" section that's non-basement.

#111 8 years ago

IMG_5662_(resized).jpgIMG_5662_(resized).jpg

IMG_5663_(resized).jpgIMG_5663_(resized).jpg

IMG_5670_(resized).jpgIMG_5670_(resized).jpg

#112 8 years ago

IMG_5655_(resized).jpgIMG_5655_(resized).jpg

IMG_5656_(resized).jpgIMG_5656_(resized).jpg

IMG_5660_(resized).jpgIMG_5660_(resized).jpg

IMG_5661_(resized).jpgIMG_5661_(resized).jpg

#113 8 years ago

IMG_5509_(resized).jpgIMG_5509_(resized).jpg

IMG_5553_(resized).jpgIMG_5553_(resized).jpg

IMG_5554_(resized).jpgIMG_5554_(resized).jpg

#114 8 years ago

That game got a really good home !

LTG : )

#115 8 years ago

Just wanted to say I love your arcade restorations and I think those numbskulls over at KLOV who pop a rivet over replacing waterlogged cabinets are crazy bananas.

I mean, not to use a cargument or anything but you can buy complete '69 Camaro body shells and mount all brand new parts on them, and no one says it's not a restoration.

Keep up the awesome work, I can't imagine there are many people taking arcade game restoration to this level.

#116 8 years ago

Putting it all back together....

IMG_5744_(resized).jpgIMG_5744_(resized).jpg

IMG_5746_(resized).jpgIMG_5746_(resized).jpg

IMG_5745_(resized).jpgIMG_5745_(resized).jpg

IMG_5743_(resized).jpgIMG_5743_(resized).jpg

IMG_5506_(resized).jpgIMG_5506_(resized).jpg

#117 8 years ago

Did you have the base all media blasted or something? And body work? That was the part that looked most tattered to me and it looks fab now!

#118 8 years ago

I love powder coat!
    Really nice job, awesome!

#119 8 years ago

IMG_5729_(resized).jpgIMG_5729_(resized).jpg

IMG_5507_(resized).jpgIMG_5507_(resized).jpg

#120 8 years ago

Wow, what a great compliment. Thanks Lloyd

Quoted from LTG:

That game got a really good home !
    LTG : )

#121 8 years ago

"pop a rivet over replacing waterlogged cabinets"

LOL!

EXACTLY!

Quoted from jwilson:

Just wanted to say I love your arcade restorations and I think those numbskulls over at KLOV who pop a rivet over replacing waterlogged cabinets are crazy bananas.
    I mean, not to use a cargument or anything but you can buy complete '69 Camaro body shells and mount all brand new parts on them, and no one says it's not a restoration.
    Keep up the awesome work, I can't imagine there are many people taking arcade game restoration to this level.

#122 8 years ago

Went with black for the pedal assembly. I know its not stock but whatever. I'll put anti-slip tread on them as well to keep them from wearing.

IMG_5726_(resized).jpgIMG_5726_(resized).jpg

IMG_5756_(resized).jpgIMG_5756_(resized).jpg

IMG_5757_(resized).jpgIMG_5757_(resized).jpg

#123 8 years ago

IMG_5730_(resized).jpgIMG_5730_(resized).jpg

IMG_5731_(resized).jpgIMG_5731_(resized).jpg

IMG_5732_(resized).jpgIMG_5732_(resized).jpg

#124 8 years ago

DOH! Thread dropped into the basement as i was typing. The Pinside middle finger. Guess this will be the last post since nobody will ever be able to find this thread. See ya later Pinside.

#125 8 years ago

It is still coming up in my feed. Not sure if that is because I already viewed and commented though.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

DOH! Thread dropped into the basement as i was typing. The Pinside middle finger. Guess this will be the last post since nobody will ever be able to find this thread. See ya later Pinside.

still shows here for me
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/restoration-showcase

and we are watching.. please continue!

#127 8 years ago

A friend of mine own the Deluxe cab too (originally it was me that bought it first to save it from being junked when the local arcade closed down here, but he bought it from me on the way home ) and its a fun game.

I will forward this thread to him.

#128 8 years ago

Yeah, it's not in the basement for me.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

It's not in the basement for me either. Shows as Forum » Restoration » Restorations documented » SEGA OUTRUN Deluxe Moving Cabinet Restoration

I love what you're doing here and really enjoy the updates. Please keep them coming. I'll follow the thread no matter where it ends up.

#130 8 years ago

Please keep the updates coming, this is gonna be awesome when it's done. I love your attention to detail.

#131 8 years ago

this is why the whole basement thing is kinda ridiculous. things we are seeing here can be applied to pinball and just because it is not a pinball machine does not mean that it is off topic.

thread is great, keep it up.

-c

#132 8 years ago

Everything is looking stellar PACMAN!!!! You need anymore parts for this thing? I may have a source

#133 8 years ago

Love it. Please continue to post updates.

#134 8 years ago

Thanks Pacman, I've been struggling to get a wheel. Your doing an amazing job on this dude, those powder coated parts look so nice. Great work on the pedal assembly, did you spray paint the springs? I need to do the pedal area next.

#135 8 years ago

Well that was weird, everything went black and it said it was in the basement. I shall proceed.

#136 8 years ago

Nice, I wonder how many survived.

Quoted from Luzur:

A friend of mine own the Deluxe cab too (originally it was me that bought it first to save it from being junked when the local arcade closed down here, but he bought it from me on the way home ) and its a fun game.
    I will forward this thread to him.

#137 8 years ago

Thanks, i'll know pretty soon as it gets put back together. I may need a decent looking dash but i want to see if the spare one i have will polish out first. Besides that my shifter plate is destroyed. Cutting a new one next week. Probably print the graphics right on to an aluminum plate the clear coat it.

Quoted from sohchx:

Everything is looking stellar PACMAN!!!! You need anymore parts for this thing? I may have a source

#138 8 years ago

Time to paint!

I only use auto paints.
    I learned awhile back the hard way that using non auto clear on white paint will YELLOW it.

Not pictured is the grey paint. I was going to just use the silver paint (wheels) for the seat too but decided to keep the seat color the same as the original.

IMG_5741_(resized).jpgIMG_5741_(resized).jpg

#139 8 years ago

RED!

IMG_6310_(resized).jpgIMG_6310_(resized).jpg

#140 8 years ago

IMG_6312_(resized).jpgIMG_6312_(resized).jpg

#141 8 years ago

IMG_6313_(resized).jpgIMG_6313_(resized).jpg

#142 8 years ago

IMG_6309_(resized).jpgIMG_6309_(resized).jpg

#143 8 years ago

IMG_6311_(resized).jpgIMG_6311_(resized).jpg

#144 8 years ago

The transformation. A few side by side before/after shots.

#145 8 years ago

Gross to Gorgeous.

Screen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.22.23_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.22.23_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.25.04_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.25.04_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.28.22_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.28.22_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.33.44_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-04_at_3.33.44_PM_(resized).png

#146 8 years ago

Yes it all got blasted!

Yes, some body work - nothing major though luckily. My Space Harrier was another story.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Did you have the base all media blasted or something? And body work? That was the part that looked most tattered to me and it looks fab now!

#147 8 years ago

Just posted up the 2 Space Harrier DX's I'm restoring. They are pretty similar under the hood.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-space-harrier-deluxe-moving-cabinet-restoration#post-3011980

IMG_4538_(resized).jpgIMG_4538_(resized).jpg

IMG_4612_(resized).jpgIMG_4612_(resized).jpg

#148 8 years ago

My jaw is on the floor. This is amazing stuff.

#149 8 years ago

I gotta ask. Did you actually start on this project only 6 days ago, or before that and you just started posting 6 days ago?

Because if you're barely a week into it, I'm jealous with all the progress you're making!

#150 8 years ago

No no no, I'm not that fast, this has been about 3 weeks into the Outrun. And even that is much quicker than usual. It's getting my full attention right now because it's taking up a good chunk of my workspace. Not only that, having all the parts I need (mostly) expedites the process even more.

There are 401 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-outrun-deluxe-moving-cabinet-restoration/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.