Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm considering purchasing a Sega MSF, but there is a large piece of mylar covering most of the playfield. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience removing mylar from Sega playfields. Does it carry the same risks as removing it from a machine made by any other manufacturer?

#2 11 years ago

I had a MSF and removed the mylar quite easily with the freeze method, go slow.

#3 11 years ago

I also removed MSF mylar with great success. Freeze method worked great. Naptha for the glue cleanup. The big question, are you going to replace it?

#4 11 years ago

I've done a lot of smaller pieces on diamond plated games & a Capcom and it was pretty easy and painless. Never done like a huge playfield sized piece though.

#5 11 years ago

The biggest problem on large pieces of mylar, using the freeze method, is trying to keep too large an area of glue frozen all at once. While one frozen area will lift up fine, the area next to it that isn't frozen can cause problems.

Go at it logically and try to figure out a way to keep the area you're working on as small as possible. So you might start at one corner and work until the size is getting un-manageable and then move to another corner and start from there.

I have not tried this yet, but you might be able to lift the mylar while cutting it with scissors to maintain say a 4 wide inch strip.

#6 11 years ago

Freezing mylar off Segas works great! They were clearcoated pretty nicely, so you don't have to worry about art or paint coming off if you use the freeze method. I froze off my A13 mylar...and there's a beautiful brand new shiny clearcoat under it. I also froze the mylar off my Austin Powers when I had it...Stern game, I know...but right on the tail of the Sega years, so - same thing, really.

Now - keep in mind these games had mylar for a reason. A13 because of the 13 ball Multi, Austin Powers due to the laser-cannon shot, and Frankenstein due to Frank throwing the balls. So, even though I took off the dingy mylar, I put a nice shiny piece right where the balls all dump out on A13 to protect that area. I'm not sure if Frank always throws the ball to a similar spot....but if so, it might be good to just put a small new mylar piece there.

#7 11 years ago

Just my 2 cents, I would replace the mylar. It's a PITA considering it's so big but it's worth it..... Franky's balls go everywhere :>. Best to protect with that guy's weapon(s).

Make a template before you remove the old stuff.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from temlog:

Just my 2 cents, I would replace the mylar. It's a PITA considering it's so big but it's worth it..... Franky's balls go everywhere :>. Best to protect with that guy's weapon(s).
Make a template before you remove the old stuff.

If you remove it in one piece, you can make your template w/ the old piece.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from temlog:

The big question, are you going to replace it?

I wasn't planning on it, but I hadn't considered that all the ball throwing would probably do a number on the pf without it. It's probably why it was installed in the first place. I might try and clean it up first and see if i can live with it. I just hate the look of mylar...

I keep my machines well waxed-- usually wax it up every 2-3 weeks. Is this enough to keep Frankie's wrath under control?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I wasn't planning on it, but I hadn't considered that all the ball throwing would probably do a number on the pf without it. It's probably why it was installed in the first place. I might try and clean it up first and see if i can live with it. I just hate the look of mylar...
I keep my machines well waxed-- usually wax it up every 2-3 weeks. Is this enough to keep Frankie's wrath under control?

Wax isn't going to protect a playfield from a flying ball - however, if the ball isn't hitting the exact same spot - I think you'll be alright in home use. Remember, mylar was a machine that would get 10,000+ plays in an arcade. When I took the mylar off my Austin Powers, there wasn't any damage from the balls shooting out of the cannon...it never hit the same exact spot repeatedly like a kickout or ball drop.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-mylar-removal-anyone-try-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.