(Topic ID: 73771)

Sega - Mary shelley's frankenstein (MSF) - Whats youre reference?

By mima

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by housty1820
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I might pick up a Mary shelley's frankenstein, however I would like your input on the pin first.

1. What is your opinion of the quality of the game
2. What is your opinion of the "playability", and why?
3. What is your opinion of the ease of serviceability?
4. What to look out for in that specific pin?
5. What to look out for in that generation of SEGA pins?
6. What is a reasonable price-range (price vs finish) according to you in your region of the pin-world?

Really looking forward to your feed back

Thanx for reading
/mima

#2 7 years ago

MSF is one of the better Sega pinballs. Excellent shots and multiball. Services like all Stern/Sega machines.
Need to make sure large display is working fully and check for plastics to make sure all is there as well as ball drop areas where franky throws the ball on the playfield.

Prices run from $1600-$2400 roughly - all depending on condition.

#3 7 years ago

MSF is a really good and fairly deep game in my opinion, that being said none of the people that visit my home have any interest in it. Kids are afraid of it and a lot of the adults that visit just aren't into it. I have a 5 pin collection and MSF is one of my favorites, it has a permanent spot. You have two music choices and it has great light shows. Mine is a reimport from Germany besides the fact that it smelled like stale beer the only issue I've had is frankensteins head stopped working. Probably the servo motor I hope. Make sure to install cliffs on the sarcauphogus and Geneva holes. Make sure frankensteins arms work properly, make sure his head turns the servos are reasonable if its not the servo the servo chips costs around $200 I believe. Make sure the Dmd works properly, Marco specialties has a upgraded wiring harness that's easy to install to keep 5v going to it. The big dmds need consistant power. They also seem prone to flipper button wear. I've heard of other people having trouble with MSF but mine has held up well. It's definitely a darker theme. 1600 to 2200 is what I've seen them priced at recently, don't know what they sold for though. If you can find a nice one priced well I'd go for it!

#4 7 years ago

No offense but I hated it. Could not sell it fast enough. Had to mute the music after a short time, it was soooo annoying. Price now is 1500 to 1800 IMHO. There are games that are much more fun for that price. Not a fan of Sega playfield art either.

#5 7 years ago

I'd rank it right in the middle of the Sega games overall.
Dmd and Frankenstein are the two areas to check.
Are all frank's fingers still attached?
Does his head turn?
Most games have flipper cab wear too.
Good depth but overall not a keeper for me.
Better Sega games in that price range IMO
Starship Troopers
Goldeneye
Apollo13
Baywatch
Batman Forever

#6 7 years ago

Like others have said, make sure the DMD is nice, otherwise very expensive to replace with a new one (or the new alternate route of putting a TV in w/ mini pc). The board that control's frank's head movement is up to $200 if missing/busted. Underneath the Playfield, by Frank, make sure its there.

MSF is my favorite Sega pin and i've had quite a few of them. Part of why I like it so much is the theme, which I think is implemented perfectly between the artwork, music/callouts and animations on the DMD. It has a really common layout, but many of the other games that use it are much more expensive (Funhouse, Tron, Xmen), Jurassic Park is the only one in a similar price range.

#7 7 years ago

I just bought one last week. This game was in mint condition and bought it for a very fair price. I LOVE this game...challenging enough, but not going to get bored with it. This is my newest of my collection of 4 pins...

All in all, everyone has an opinion, buy it for a fair price and if you don't like it after a year, sell it, you will get most, if not all of your money back....

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from 1452spunky:

I just bought one last week. This game was in mint condition and bought it for a very fair price. I LOVE this game...challenging enough, but not going to get bored with it. This is my newest of my collection of 4 pins...
All in all, everyone has an opinion, buy it for a fair price and if you don't like it after a year, sell it, you will get most, if not all of your money back....

And what would a "fair price" be?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'd rank it right in the middle of the Sega games overall.
Dmd and Frankenstein are the two areas to check.
Are all frank's fingers still attached?
Does his head turn?
Most games have flipper cab wear too.
Good depth but overall not a keeper for me.
Better Sega games in that price range IMO
Starship Troopers
Goldeneye
Apollo13
Baywatch
Batman Forever

I agree, mostly, but I rather keep MSF over SST and Baywatch...

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from mima:

And what would a "fair price" be?

We paid $1600 for ours around this time last year. It is in very good shape with one cracked ramp a few scuffs on the cabinet that we touched up pretty easily. I've seen them go between $1400 and $2200, depending on condition and of course location. It's the cheapest pin we've bought and honestly gets more play than the more expensive ones from non-pinball people.

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

can you find plastics for these anywhere? Geezzz

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

can you find plastics for these anywhere? Geezzz

No

#13 7 years ago

Nope. Mine has great plastics but a broken plastic ramp, and I've looked but can't find anything anywhere. So for now it is fixed with a zip-tie and seems to work just fine.

#14 7 years ago

Check the ramp that feeds frankenstein's hands, many are usually cracked, very hard to find a replacement. Check for wear/chips on the playfield where the ball lands from HIS left hand.

#15 7 years ago

You can always make your own. Need some scans?

#16 7 years ago

We have a FEW spare, used plastics for this pin. PM needs. Otherwise, hate, hate, hate this pin. DMD looked great on ours until it decided to catch on fire. Nobody has (& I do mean NOBODY) an answer for a non-working monster motion control board with corrupted data on the ROM chip. Sound quality is brutal. Very bad. It's so muddy that it's almost indecipherable. Other than being an expensive, difficult to impossible pin to service... It's a pinball machine. Favorite Sega - ID4. Not that it's the greatest pin ever but... Sega's are (in my opinion) almost all bad.

#17 7 years ago

Wow I enjoy a little MSF. To each their own.

Rock

#18 7 years ago

I would say $1400-1800. there is one around here for $2500 or something but all of their stuff seems overpriced by 40%

#19 7 years ago

Great game. Good shot selections and the multi-ball intro is as good as any. Personally, I like the ruleset and the scoring variety on the MSF. If there is a downside for me, it's the artwork. But it is in the Sega style so you either like or don't.

#20 7 years ago

I owned one last year was in great shape.I had to replace the servo in in Frankie's head but was not a big deal. I loved the theme very cool to look at.The game play got boring to me after a while but still a good game.The dmd is something to watch out for it is costly .

#21 7 years ago

It was my first pin several years ago and still has a permanent place in my collection. I've got a sub hooked to it and man does it rock! My girlfriend is adamant that it will never leave.

#22 7 years ago

Lots of different opinions on MSF- I think if you like horror/monster stuff that helps. Layout is fun with some things Borg would revisit with Tron. The one ramp puts some people off but if you like modes and crazy 6 ball action it's a great one.

1 month later
#23 6 years ago

Just to keep you posted, the MSF got sold before I had a chance to look at it. How ever I am pretty happy about that, since I only have room for two pins in my game room and I ended up getting my self a Addams Family instead at pretty good price. It has had a pretty rough routed life (as most of them) but it still is not in to bad shape.

#24 6 years ago

Wow a TAF, that's a big step up brother...

1 month later
#25 6 years ago

Looking at trading my whirlwind for a msf. Clean fully working but he said that 3 out of the 128 vertical lines are out of the display. Should I be worried?

#26 6 years ago

You will find the DMD hard to find and expensive ($500.00) to replace. If you really want the pin you can use that as a bargaining chip. I would suggest using the DMD extender to replace the DMD with an LCD. It's cheaper and you can change colors or even go with a multi-color display. If your Whirlwind is nice I would expect to get the MSF + cash for it.

#27 6 years ago

Its a recent of rout gamegame players whirlwind sounds fair deal to me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Boards
PinSound
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Jacksonville, NC
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 85.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside