New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240616)

Sega Lost world display problems

By mrossman5

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mrossman5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

550D74C9-DA21-4895-953A-C8B22F093ADC (resized).jpeg
6E173BD1-7E5D-446A-A612-48DC761484E5 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Having some odd issues with my Sega lost world’s dmd. The dmd is perfect. No burnt out lines or anything, but for some reason, some parts of the display animations are missing. I replaced both the Display and game ROMs and nothing worked. As a matter of fact, after replacing the main cpu rom, each time I start a game, the shaker motor and animations don’t line up, and it seems like the game is lagging. Not sure what else to check.

Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Just noticed something else. For some reason, the modes never time out. They did before I installed the new rom. I think I am going to get another set of new roms.

#3 1 year ago

Make sure the display rom version matches the game rom version

#4 1 year ago

Another update: for some reason the 1.01 cpu rom works with the 2.02 display rom, and the 2.02 cpu rom doesn’t work with the 2.02 display rom (modes don’t time out, drop target doesn’t work). Display animations are still weird.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Another update: for some reason the 1.01 cpu rom works with the 2.02 display rom, and the 2.02 cpu rom doesn’t work with the 2.02 display rom (modes don’t time out, drop target doesn’t work). Display animations are still weird.

Hmmm have you tired reseating the ribbon cables?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Hmmm have you tired reseating the ribbon cables?

Tried this. Unfortunately nothing worked.

#7 1 year ago

I think you have the right idea in getting all new roms. It would at least eliminate that as a possibility

#8 1 year ago

I agree, if the problem started with the new chips I'd get a fresh set.
meloyelo51 doesn't have them listed on his website www.mattsbasementarcade.com but I'm sure he could rip you a good set if you contact him.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I agree, if the problem started with the new chips I'd get a fresh set.
meloyelo51 doesn't have them listed on his website www.mattsbasementarcade.com but I'm sure he could rip you a good set if you contact him.

Hey thanks!
Yep I sure can burn a lot more than I have time to list!

Quoted from mrossman5:

I am wondering if there's an issue with that rom. The major versions should always match (ie 1.X or 2.X) or you can run into issues, some games won't even boot...so it's odd that your works better backwards. I always recommend replacing as a set.

What exact chips are you using for both CPU and DISP? I know all games after Maverick require 120ns or faster for the display roms.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Hey thanks!
Yep I sure can burn a lot more than I have time to list!

I am wondering if there's an issue with that rom. The major versions should always match (ie 1.X or 2.X) or you can run into issues, some games won't even boot...so it's odd that your works better backwards. I always recommend replacing as a set.
What exact chips are you using for both CPU and DISP? I know all games after Maverick require 120ns or faster for the display roms.

I replaced the cpu and display ROMs with the same versions, and that’s when I started to get the odd software glitches (shaker lagged and modes never timed out). Put the old cpu chip in and left the new display chip in, and everything worked like before. I still have the weird display problems. I got the chips from action pinball (http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS193). I am really hoping I happened to get bad chips. I bought a new cpu and display ROM chip from Marco that is going to arrive Friday.

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Replacing the chips did nothing. I did notice that when the game is on for a while, the display seems to get a little better. Could it be a cable I need to replace?

1 week later
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Replacing the chips did nothing. I did notice that when the game is on for a while, the display seems to get a little better. Could it be a cable I need to replace?

Yeah I would try the ribbon cable at this point. Sorry they Roms didn't fix your problem

#13 1 year ago

You could swap it with another dmd game if you have it

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Yeah I would try the ribbon cable at this point. Sorry they Roms didn't fix your problem

This one?

550D74C9-DA21-4895-953A-C8B22F093ADC (resized).jpeg6E173BD1-7E5D-446A-A612-48DC761484E5 (resized).jpeg
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

This one?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would suspect either that one or the one that runs from the dmd controller board to the dmd itself.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I would suspect either that one or the one that runs from the dmd controller board to the dmd itself.

Great. Thank you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 209.99
Boards
PinSound
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside