• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-1.jpeg
image-2.jpeg
image-2.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballflare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have recently bought a Baywatch machine that I am trying to trouble shoot a display problem. From what I can tell, all four large display games should be the same in this regard. The game starts up and plays fine for about 45 minutes then the display goes blank. The rest of the game still works fine. During trouble shooting I realized the 7amp sb fuse on the power supply has a slight glow of red and the +12V is dropping to 8.5V as soon as the game is powered on. Trying to figure out what is pulling my +12V down and what the display issue is I started looking at the repair guides and schematics for the game.

Both imply that the display driver board should have a diode bridge, 5 amp fuse, and three capacitors, the regulated 5 Volts from which would be provided out via the J4 on the display driver board. The reason I bring this up, my board does not have any of the components on it, but it does have the outline of where they would be, and the board does not look like it was ever soldered to. In addition two separate you tube videos show that the boards in frankenstein and maverick also do not have these components on them. Not sure why they are listed in the schematics or repair guides.

The current configuration of the power is that +12V from the power supply goes to the Display power board and to the DMD N/C connection. Neither of these seem correct. The DMD is a Dale and has a label on the pins identifying that the pins are to be 12V, gnd, gnd, and N/C. Mine is wired as 18V, gnd, gnd, and 12V. Once again, this seems incorrect.

I am trying to figure out how this should be wired hoping that will fix the stress on the power supply and the eventual blanking of the display.

Couple of questions.
1. Can someone verify that I should not have these components on the display power board or a J4 output from the board
2. Can someone verify that is it indeed 5V to the display power board and if so, does that come from the CN6 connection of the powersupply?
3. Do I need the 18V from the Bridge Rectifier mounted to the back box? Could that have been for the babcock display?

Thank you.

Thank you for any help.

#3 10 years ago

Here are two pics one of the connectors to the DMD and the Display power board, and the other of the power supply. The two red wires from the power supply are the 12V that connects to the DMD N/C pin and the Display power board. The purple wire that supplies 18V to the pin marked 12V on the DMD comes from the upper of the three bridge rectifiers mounted to the back box. Please let me know if any other pics would help. Thank you for your help.

image-2.jpegimage-2.jpeg

#4 10 years ago

Here are two pics one of the connectors to the DMD and the Display power board, and the other of the power supply. The two red wires from the power supply are the 12V that connects to the DMD N/C pin and the Display power board. The purple wire that supplies 18V to the pin marked 12V on the DMD comes from the upper of the three bridge rectifiers mounted to the back box. Please let me know if any other pics would help. Thank you for your help.

image-2.jpegimage-2.jpeg image-1.jpegimage-1.jpeg

#5 10 years ago

Sorry the power supply picture is sideways. It does also show the bridge rectifier directly under the power supply that supplies the 18V. Also, I know the power supply connector with the 12V has been replaced. I did that to put new pins in as the ones in the insulation displacement connector were burnt. I reverified that the insulation displacement was wired the same way, coming from the 12V and not the 5V as the remnants of the wires were still in the old connector. Thank you again.

1 week later
#6 10 years ago

Just figured this out. The power supply had an issue. I ended up replacing the power supply with a rotten dog and everything works fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballflare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-large-dmd-issue?tu=Pinballflare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.