Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JeffF
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3-2.JPG
photo 1-2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2-2.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Just picked up a Batman Forever. Having DMD issues. Lines are out but not burnt out. I can push on the top edge of the DMD and get the vertical lines to reappear or go away.

Any suggestions? Is this typical for a DMD on it's way out or something else?

The pics show the display in test mode.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Typical for the thin leads going into the DMD that are cracked or broken. If outside the glass you can VERY carefully solder or fix with electrical conductive epoxy ( auto stores ) if inside the glass you are pretty much screwed.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I have a used one with some fad, I would let go cheep if you decide to replace.

#4 7 years ago

Or just go with a color LCD using DMD extender.

#5 7 years ago

If LTG's suggestion doesn't work Vishay/Dale will replace the Glass on that (& any other Vishay/Dale) Display.

I did this for a customer in Feb. of 2013, IIRC it was about $300 (for the 192 x 64) with shipping both ways - not cheap but significantly cheaper than a new one & comes with a 1 year warranty. Only other downside is the lead time for the new Glass, I think it was 10 weeks as they don't stock anything - it's all built to order.

Re-Glassing the standard DMD Displays were like $88 + shipping both ways.
Pretty sure they re-glass the half height DMD's as well - as used in Data East's Checkpoint (FYI - the first Plasma DMD used in a Pin).

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

#6 7 years ago

That's odd, when I called Vishay nearly a year ago they said they don't repair the large DMDs. But in my case the display was internally fried and didn't work at all. But I didn't get a chance to explain that before he said they don't repair. If you guys can re-glass these things then can a new PCB be installed in the process?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Or just go with a color LCD using DMD extender.

I am really thinking about going this route.

#9 7 years ago

After seeing the DIY DMD project I started working on replacing my Baywatch DMD. (That's why I had one to sell cheap) Didn't get to touch the project today but at this point I just need to work with the colors.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-sega-baywatch-color-dmd-project

#10 7 years ago

I know this isn't your pin, but check this out anyway it might help? see at 1:00

#11 7 years ago

Ugh! Hope you can fix it. I had a Maverick and the DMD went out. Those extra large DMD's look nice when they're working. What a nightmare when they're not.

Best of luck.

#12 7 years ago

Great writeup!! I really think this is the way to go. Now just need to start ordering parts.

#13 7 years ago

I just ordered the Extender and am looking to order the other parts. Has anybody found a good display controller here in the U.S.? I see some are in the UK and some in China. Not sure how long it will take to get these in? Any suggestions?

#14 7 years ago

You can also try reseating the cables going to the DMD. When you are at it, reseat the ROMs as well...in my BF that did the trick and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

#15 7 years ago

I heard they are remaking this display.. Look for it in 6 months..

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

I just ordered the Extender and am looking to order the other parts. Has anybody found a good display controller here in the U.S.? I see some are in the UK and some in China. Not sure how long it will take to get these in? Any suggestions?

aliexpress has really good deals on LCD panels. Got a replacement for a tablet for like $40 recently. Not sure about the controller.

#17 7 years ago

I did not find a local US one. It takes about 1 week for China shipment.

This is what I ordered (keep in mind Kevin from Dr Pinball said customers have used 18.4" screens - see my Baywatch posting)

LG PHILIPS LP173WF1
amazon.com link »

HDMI+VGA+DVI+Audio LCD controller board for 17.3 LP173WF1
ebay.com link

#18 7 years ago

I've got a line on a US seller that I had purchased a controller board from. For some reason his eBay account just got shutdown, but I can confirm that he's a good seller and worked with me on some issues I was having on the first one I ordered from him. He ended up sending me a different one and it works great.

Edit: Looks like he has a website: http://kenode.com/ (Seller says he's still working on this website, and that he's on vacation this week, so you might get a delayed response. Even still, it would probably get to you sooner if he shipped next week than one from China shipped out this week.)

#19 7 years ago

That's the controller Doctor Pinball recommends for these LG 17.3" screens.

#20 7 years ago

Someone did their Baywatch so this will give you an idea of what to expect.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-sega-baywatch-color-dmd-project

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

I heard they are remaking this display.. Look for it in 6 months..

Who is doing the remake?

1 month later
#22 7 years ago

Received all the parts in last month and finally got time to install today. Everything went very smooth thanks to Dr. Pinball's great documentation.

To start off with, I used Crash's color pallet from his TAF. I really like the colors with everything except when Nicole Kidman's image and a couple Two Face images.

Here a few pics for viewing pleasure. Really happy to go this route.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1-2.JPG

photo 3-2.JPG

photo 2-2.JPG

#23 7 years ago

Couple more pics.

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

#24 7 years ago

Awesome, nice job.

#25 7 years ago

Looks great!! Though I may suggest a deeper green.

#26 7 years ago

What would you say is the total cost for going color on a Sega DMD?

#27 7 years ago

Less than $300. I think it was around $275 on my setup.

#28 7 years ago

That looks GREAT. Makes me wish all my dmd games were like that.

2 months later
#29 6 years ago

pinballwiz - Can you post the colors used on your setup for Batman? Many thanks...

#30 6 years ago

They are the ones for Addams Family:

image.jpg
#31 6 years ago

Thanks Crash. I was getting ready to go back through your post for these. I think I monkeyed with the green a little afterwards as well.

2 months later
#32 6 years ago

Just ordered the parts to convert our Batman Forever over to a LCD. Thank you for posting everything you did during your conversion. I'll be using it as a guide once everything gets here.

Can't wait!

2 weeks later
#33 6 years ago

Got ours finished last night... thanks to all that shared thier experience and tips!

Next up will be our MSF.

[Edit]The second video is with better coloring and better video.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 224.99
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside