Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150817_225551_edit.jpg
IMG_20150817_225555_edit.jpg
IMG_20150726_100354_edit.jpg
IMG_20150722_215110_edit.jpg
IMG_20150722_002055.jpg
#1 8 years ago

IMG_20150722_002055.jpgIMG_20150722_002055.jpgHi! My Sega Frankenstein started developing a strange behavior. 1 in each 16 columns is out!

Is a cherry dmd

Could this be a controler board problem or bad dmd?

Many tks
Jose

#2 8 years ago

The display was working 100% ok until yesterday...

#3 8 years ago

Checked controller board J1 and all data pins are alive...

#4 8 years ago

The fact that there is a pattern in the number of missing column (1 ,17,33,49,65...161,177) makes me think this could be an address problem...again don't know where to start. Controller board or DMD.

Columns involved are driven by different chips (hv7708) so I'll discard any problems with dmd chips

#5 8 years ago

Man i wish i could help, but no ideas. Im watching this thread to learn what it turns out to be though.

#6 8 years ago

This is a common problem if there is a bad connection with the short 14 pin DMD cable. Did you reseat this cable? Do you have another DMD game you can swap cables from?

#7 8 years ago

Thank you Crash!!
I did reseat all cables and also inverted the position of 14 pin cable. I would expect that if the cable was defective at least I would have a different behaviour on my dmd

I'll try with a different cable as per your suggestion just to make sure!!!

Tks

#8 8 years ago

Just to add one detail. This image is from display test. During game play all animation are working ok, just missing those same columns!!

#9 8 years ago

IMG_20150722_215110_edit.jpgIMG_20150722_215110_edit.jpgAll cables ok! Tested with good working cables and the same problem.

Now after several reboots SURPRISE !!!!

The problem inverted! Now the allways off columns are allways on!?!!?!?!!!!!!!

#10 8 years ago

Could this be a RAM issue?

#11 8 years ago

Do you have another large DMD Sega game to test with?

#12 8 years ago

I don't have another sega game but I have tried with smartdmd and the signals leaves the controller board with the vertical lines.

Also tried with different mpu.

Now I am sure that the problem is in the controller board.

#13 8 years ago

Send the board to Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron and email him. He will repair it for $88.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks Crash!

I do this for fun!!!

Replaced both RAM same problem!!!

Any suggestions??

#15 8 years ago

The same output with smartdmd

IMG_20150726_100354_edit.jpgIMG_20150726_100354_edit.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Like I said, you'll need to have the board diagnosed. Clive is the best person to do repairs.

#17 8 years ago

Thank you Crash!

I though that the idea behind this forum was to help each others and learn how to solve this kind of problems. I guess I was wrong!
Now I see why the majority of questions ends with someone pointing a repair service guy eheheh

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ze7:

I though that the idea behind this forum was to help each others and learn how to solve this kind of problems. I guess I was wrong!
Now I see why the majority of questions ends with someone pointing a repair service guy eheheh

ze7 it is and if this was a normal problem people would chime in and help to get you on your way. Problem is this isnt a very common problem and it will prob have to be traced down on the board level. When we get to that point it is very hard to diagnose over the internet. Someone may still be able to help but this isnt a common problem and i have no experience with it so i cant help.

#19 8 years ago

You started a thread asking for advice, and I gave it to you. Trust me if there was a real way to fix this, I would be happy to help. But the reality is repairing these 192x64 display systems is extremely difficult if not impossible simply due to their design. Can't help you.

#20 8 years ago

Hi there. Due to your diagnosing you can be sure the problem lies with the controller board. Did you try to unseat the processor and re-seat it ? I read once that solved some problems.

Personally I also would do the same with all other IC's that are not soldered to the board and on the ones that are look for bad solder points.

As it reversed suddenly I would think it is in one of the IC's and not any other component.

Does this happen immediately after turning the machine on ??

#21 8 years ago

Looks like a stuck bit. I'd start with the schematics and probe around with a logic probe. You could get lucky and see something stuck high or low.

#22 8 years ago

Thank you guys!!!!

I have already removed the processor and put it back again. Nothing changed...and yes it starts immediately on boot.

I have already chased the data lines in almost every ic and haven't found stuck lines. I'm going to double check just to make sure.

And crash don't get me wrong! I do believe that 99% of any pinball problem as already happened to a bunch of people before. I've been repairing boards for only 3 years and never gave up any repair !!

Logic probe on my other hand while i'm writing!!!

#23 8 years ago

Couldn't find any stuck signal...

#24 8 years ago

Unfortunately I'm logic analyzer dumb but it seems like that could help. You may be able to pick out the pulse with an oscilloscope, but again that'd probably just be luck.

And I totally agree with having fun with these types of repairs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained(even in failure).

Good luck!

#25 8 years ago

I'm going to take my controller board to test in baywatch...I'll post the result!

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

So...

#27 8 years ago

Not yet...

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

I decided to pick the logic probe and schematics and start all over again looking for stuck signals. All data and address lines where moving so I went to the output of other ics. Found a stuck high output at U23 a 74LS273 and U29 a 74LS166 both on the same path ... piggybacked a 74LS273 and BINGO!!!!!

Thank you all for your help!!!! Never give up heheheh

Back to repair and a new FUTABA S3003 servo (€8!!!) solved the static frankenstein head!!! Working at 100% now!!!

IMG_20150817_225555_edit.jpgIMG_20150817_225555_edit.jpg

IMG_20150817_225551_edit.jpgIMG_20150817_225551_edit.jpg

#29 8 years ago

Persistence pays off! Well done.

And I agree that this would be a useless thread if it ended with 'well I shipped it off for repair'. Now that ze7 has posted back with his diagnosis and fix it may help someone else in the future. Good result I say.

#30 8 years ago

Wow that was exciting, it was like watching an episode of Star Trek. Introduce technology problem...enter antagonist to induce conflict...just when all hope is lost the Chief Engineer comes through and saves the day. Epic!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Wow that was exciting, it was like watching an episode of Star Trek. Introduce technology problem...enter antagonist to induce conflict...just when all hope is lost the Chief Engineer comes through and saves the day. Epic!

Lol...priceless. You are spot on!

#32 8 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 36.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-large-dmd-columns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.