Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JP (resized).jpg
board (resized).jpg
file-12 (resized).jpeg
file1-5 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum and also fairly new to the pinball scene .

I have a question regarding the Jurassic Park pinball from Sega.
Before I do any further investigation, I just would like to read your opinion to it if my assumption is correct.
When I try to start the pinball, it constanly reboots. You can hear the booting sound that the Sega machines do at the start and after a few seconds you can hear it again and again.
Looking at the backbox, I saw that 2 LED were not on on the I/Q Power Driver Board, L200 and L201. L204 keeps flashing. All other LEDs are working.
Could this be a watchdog issue? On the CPU Board the L201 is on though for the 5V.
I also noticed that U210 (DS1232) Pin 3 has already been clipt off by the previous owner. Need to check if U218 has also been clipt on PIN 3... I forgot to check this.
I assume I would need to measure certain components were the 5V goes through and replace if needed.
Could it be also a different problem?

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Wishing you all a wonderful day

file1-5 (resized).jpegfile1-5 (resized).jpeg

file-12 (resized).jpegfile-12 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Hi there,This sounds like a power supply issue and my best guess would be a bad/burnt connector or cold solder joints but lets try the easy stuff first.
There are 2 ribbon cables have you tried reseatting them?These ribbon cables do go bad due to heat coming from the boards.
Edit-I was looking back at some of my notes and found more info for you,On the random reset problem, on almost every Whitestar system, the problem has always been the CPU board’s CN2 connector. This brings +5 and +12 volts from the power driver board below it to the CPU board.Here's a pic,Let me know if this worked or not I have more notes on file

board (resized).jpgboard (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Hi pinmike

Thanks for your reply!
I will test that and let you know the result

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Hi pinmike
Thanks for your reply!
I will test that and let you know the result

Ok,Sounds good

#5 6 years ago

Unfortunately that didn't solve it. It's still resetting

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Unfortunately that didn't solve it. It's still resetting

Ok,Let me ask you this just to rule it out while i look through more notes.
Is the game plugged into the power outlet by itself or with other things?
Are the boards in the backbox in good shape?Any signs of hacks/burns/repairs ect.?
Any signs of battery corrosion?anywhere in the area where the 3 AA batteries are at.

#7 6 years ago

Ok,The Whitestar board system is a very reliable system the only other thing that would cause resets besides the connector is in good/not burnt shape would be
replacing BR21(bridge rectifier).But here's the ass kicker about BR21 sometimes testing this bridge with a multimeter will test good/proper working order,Changing/Replacing BR21 would be the next best move.

#8 6 years ago

Here's a few videos of the Whitestar system,Keep in mind Sega and Stern in many of their games use the same exact Whitestar system.Watch the videos and see if it relates to some of the problems your having(Videos made/provided by Clay..Thank You Clay).

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Here's a few videos of the Whitestar system,Keep in mind Sega and Stern in many of their games use the same exact Whitestar system.Watch the videos and see if it relates to some of the problems your having(Videos made/provided by Clay..Thank You Clay).
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Video #2 not a whitestar system. Have you tried reseating the game rom and the ram next to the game rom? l200 and l201 do you have the coin door open? If coin door is open these will go out, If it is shut these will be on or should be on.

#11 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Once I receive the components I will take the board out and replace them. I will also replace the components such as DS1232 on U210 as the PIN 3 has been clipt off. Will get back to you once I have an update!

#12 6 years ago

Sorry wrong thread.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Thanks guys. Once I receive the components I will take the board out and replace them. I will also replace the components such as DS1232 on U210 as the PIN 3 has been clipt off. Will get back to you once I have an update!

driver board u210 pin3 is cut by the factory.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

driver board u210 pin3 is cut by the factory.

Oh I didn't know that! What about U218? Pin 3 is also clipt.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Code:

Oh I didn't know that! What about U218? Pin 3 is also clipt.

u218 on cpu No pin 3 is not cut off. I have 2 cpus so on my end they are both present at u218 cpu/sound pcb

#16 6 years ago

With the flash I noticed corrosion at the U210 Chip coming from the battery holder. I think this is the issue

JP (resized).jpgJP (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Code:

With the flash I noticed corrosion at the U210 Chip coming from the battery holder. I think this is the issue

I asked in post #10 about reseating the game rom This is the first thing you should have checked

#18 6 years ago

And your game ROM and socket need to be replaced too. Note the alkaline corrosion.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

7 months later
#19 5 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that the pinball is working again
It was the alkaline damage which prevented it from booting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-jurassic-park-whitestar-board-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.