Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Fishbeadtwo
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 3 years ago

For all the info on the web for pinball, there is suprisingly very little about Sega Pinball machines from the 70s. They made EMs and eventually went to SS but there are very few in the U.S. I've been digging looking for some examples and gameplay video. There is (was?) a Japan Pinball Museum located in Osaka that has quite a few examples.

Here's a EM bowling game that is pretty neat.

They look at a few more Sega pinball backglasses and machines before playing a EM driving game and a pretty neat mechanical music machine at the end.

The one EM game has an 8 track running the sound.

The pinballs look like they have pretty simple gameplay but have some neat gimmicks like the slalom in Sapporo.

#2 3 years ago

There was an in-depth article on the Sega Japan EM pins on Pinball News a while back:

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/japanesepinballs/index.html

#3 3 years ago

I've been trying find one FS in the US for years. I even posted some WTB adds without a single response.

I'm pretty fascinated by not only the machines but the artwork and the names they came up. Just a really cool period in pinball history that there's not much information about.

If someone has one of these games FS in the US, please send me a pm!

#4 3 years ago

I'd kinda like one too. How much is shipping from Japan?

#5 3 years ago

They're not here anymore, mostly. All the pins in the country seem to have left, either to the dumpster or to overseas. Silverball Planet, our one big arcade, is mostly full of games imported from the US; the other machines here-and-there are all being hoarded by about two operators.

You can't even get the flyers for the old Segas...

#6 3 years ago

Sega made some of the best EM arcade games. Most are very hard to find and command very high prices . here is a pic of my Sega Pro Bowler. Similar to A Williams Mini Bowl. This has regulation scoring. image.jpg

#7 3 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4560 this is one that I would really really want

#8 3 years ago

Monte Rosa was the first one that I saw. I was struck be the art but the playfield is pretty bare. A lot of their EMs had some really neat features and seem more interesting than their SSs.

Surfing
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2467&picno=59760
This game has a magnet under the right side of the playfield that makes the ball rock back and forth. I guess to simulate surfing. It's in one of the videos.

Sapporo
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2052&picno=59749&zoom=1
This is based on the Olympics in Sapporo and is skiing themed. It has a ski jump feature. I like the art on this one especially the snowman on the left who's not impressed. I also noticed how Sega's machines have glass that lifts up instead of sliding out which is really neat.

On the subject of foreign pinball, I've started reading up on Taito from Brazil. Maybe those would be easier to acquire since they seem to be more available.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Sapporo
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2052&picno=59749&zoom=1
This is based on the Olympics in Sapporo and is skiing themed. It has a ski jump feature. I like the art on this one especially the snowman on the left who's not impressed.

In the article linked, this is the machine that really caught my eye as well. The Ski "ramp" looked like an exciting feature for an EM machine, and I was also noticing the bumpers by the flippers had a pretty unique look as well.

#10 3 years ago

It seems we got quite a few Sega EM Pinballs in New Zealand. They come up every now and again. Most are multiball and have some quirky feature. The playfields have a hard finish and are mostly in excellent condition but the backglasses fair the same as other makes.
They have small cube ( think old flash bulbs) with miniaturised coils inside.

#11 3 years ago

I don't know if anyone noticed the cabinet. I love the shallow design.

#12 3 years ago

Cool--but finding parts must be next to impossible, at least here in the U.S.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Cool--but finding parts must be next to impossible, at least here in the U.S.

The EMs could have standard parts. I don't know much about EMs. Is that how they work?

#14 3 years ago

plus 1 on wanting a Japanese Sega pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 199.00
Lighting - Interactive
Medisinyl Mods
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 0.35
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside