• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmklunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I am working on a different pin after being out of the game for a few years. Looking for some pointers on a Sega Harley-Davidson.

The game boots up, but the raising/lowering bike just runs constantly (assuming the limit switches aren’t working). None of the ball trough switches work so the game is constantly saying “4 balls missing.”

Once in a while I can finally get it to start a game, but when it starts, it will auto-launch a ball around the upper loop and promptly shoot sparks from the CPU board in the backbox out toward the player if the backglass is removed. I was able to replicate this issue twice (and I don’t really want to try it again). It appears to be originating around the connector “Switch Columns” which checks out since other switches are having issues. I have already replaced the CPU board so I am not sure where the issue could be. I do not see anything glaringly obvious like a staple caught behind the CPU board or anything like that. How can I test for this issue with a multimeter?

Thanks,
Derek

#2 3 years ago

I don't know about the sparks or the switch matrix issues. The game has a diagnostic function for testing the motorcycle in the menus, it has information about the limit switches. I think the motorcycle has membrane switches that detect balls. If it thinks balls are in the bike then it will go up and try to remove them before a game can be started. You might start there.

3 weeks later
#3 3 years ago

All,

I sent the boards out for testing & repair. Several transistors, a bridge rectifier, and a few capacitors were tested and replaced where needed. The sparking is gone, but the switch matrix issues persist.

The bike test was a good idea. The limit switches don’t work though... even if I actuate them manually.

In fact, in reviewing the switch matrix, I find that columns 2, 4, 5, (and maybe 6?) are not operational. The switch transistors were proactively replaced, so I know it is not them.

Any recommendations of what else to look for or some direction of where to poke around with the multimeter?

Thanks in advance!

#4 3 years ago

Bump... Any thoughts anyone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-harley-switch-column-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.