Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just bought a Baywatch and can't hit the tower ramp so first thing I thought I would check the coil types to determine any mods / incorrect coils installed. I also have the coil power turned up to the max and still can't do the tower ramp.

left bottom flipper is meant to be a 090-5030-00 (23-1100) but is a 090-5032-00

right bottom flipper is meant to have a 090-5020-30 (23-900) but is a 090-5032-00 but is physically much bigger and not original

upper left flipper (rescue buoy thing) is meant to have a 090-5025-00 (24-1570) but is a 090-5030-00

upper right flipper (shark fin) is meant to have a 090-5030-00 (23-1100) and is a 090-5030-00 = a correct one

So I have 1 out of 4 with the right coil installed in the right place but all the others are different - how do I tell what is a stronger or weaker coil installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

the first number is the guage. 2nd number is the number of windings. So, I think the more windings and thicker the gauge, the more resistance and the weaker the coil? I might have it backwards, but I think that's how it goes.

Did you rebuild the flippers? Make sure your cabinet switches are making good contact and not charred. You should have no problems making shots on baywatch. My BF is actually too strong and the ball actually gets some air on the ramps sometimes, which misses the switches occasionally.

#3 11 years ago

Order the 5020, put the 5032 where it goes and get rid of the 5030. The 5030 is weaker than a 5032. The 5020 is stronger than a 5032. The upper, I'd leave if it works ok.

Most the flipper strength issue are the need to rebuild the flippers. Once the coils are right, if the flippers aren't great, rebuild with stern parts and use vid1900's guide for help. It covers how to properly gap aswell as replacing the nylon bushing that's not in most kits - two of the most important factors in flipper strength.

6 years later
#4 4 years ago

STOCK (correct?)
Bottom left: 5030
Bottom right: 5020
Upper left: 5025
Upper right (shark): 5030

Mine is wrong as well, as I can't really make it up the lock ramp
found mine:
BL 5030
BR 5030
UL 5025
UR Shark 5020

Are most people going with stock coils as listed above?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

STOCK (correct?)
Bottom left: 5030
Bottom right: 5020
Upper left: 5025
Upper right (shark): 5030
Mine is wrong as well, as I can't really make it up the lock ramp
found mine:
BL 5030
BR 5030
UL 5025
UR Shark 5020
Are most people going with stock coils as listed above?

with doing a full shop out and coil correction the skill shots etc worked perfect

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

with doing a full shop out and coil correction the skill shots etc worked perfect

Thanks swinks! I’ll go stock as well man this game may be a whole different beast with new flipper coils

#7 4 years ago

A few years ago I put Pinball life's Guns and Roses special(stronger) coils in my Baywatch and it is a "whole different beast". You can actually make all the shots!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Thanks swinks! I’ll go stock as well man this game may be a whole different beast with new flipper coils

I posted this video after a shop out and coil correction and brought all the settings back to standard - check out the skill shot on each ball, as one of these is a pain if your settings aren't stock and mechs set properly and back to factory.

#9 4 years ago

ordering new coils for lower right and upper right. FYI the coil needs a diode on it. I saw some that didn't at PBL.

4 months later
#10 4 years ago

Finally went back to this. So my upper right and lower right were just swapped. I swapped them and now they are correct. Hitting the ramps with the lower right flipper is pretty easy now

#11 4 years ago

great to hear that correcting the coils made the difference

2 months later
#12 4 years ago

I know this is an older thread but is there a reason the lower left flipper has a weaker coil than the right? Wouldn’t putting the same flipper coils on both help make the right ramp?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I know this is an older thread but is there a reason the lower left flipper has a weaker coil than the right? Wouldn’t putting the same flipper coils on both help make the right ramp?

using the recommended works fine and the nright needs to get the ball up the lhs ramp so needs to be a bit stronger

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

using the recommended works fine and the nright needs to get the ball up the lhs ramp so needs to be a bit stronger

Ya I agree. The right side of the pf has close targets and ramps, so not a strong coil needed. Shots off the right flipped to the left are far back and the life guard ramp shot is pretty darn steep

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-coil-strengths-baywatch-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.