A1156851-2B39-4D0B-BEBF-B506A11C15EA (resized).jpeg
7C099748-14F5-479B-B964-05B59F148CC3 (resized).jpeg
B51027AB-2FDB-40C7-8FE0-FAB7F1051C48 (resized).jpeg
DCCE135D-9AFC-452B-ACA8-1CFC5F61C844 (resized).jpeg
3EC1E29F-DA7D-4213-A88E-FE5B639A479B (resized).jpeg
27AE866E-0E42-49AE-81EA-5B34471AFBD8 (resized).jpeg
435A252E-E673-4148-81F1-2469D0891D72 (resized).jpeg
214E69B5-7B11-4213-8D3F-5A79BACF2676 (resized).jpeg
There are 426 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 5 years ago

No responses to my SW display issue, but no worries, let's try something else that makes the display issue take a back seat:

My Sega Star Wars Trilogy has picked up an annoying fault. Turn it on, get the "bloop", playfield lights come on, then after a couple of second, before anything else happens, the relay on the I/O Power Driver Board clicks, LED 204 comes on and stays on and the playfield lights die. Nothing else happens. All LEDs on the I/O and CPU/Sound board are lit so I have the power where I need it and it tests at a fraction over 5v where on the test point.

I've removed the various ROM modules and given them and their sockets a visual inspection and all appears OK. Tests in bridge rectifier 21 showed something was amiss so I replaced it only to find out when off the board it tested fine :/ I can't see where the issue is and there is very little I can find online to point me where to look next. Any ideas?

#302 5 years ago

Sorry that no one has responded to your issues. I wish I could help you with your pin but I am not experienced enough to give you advice. So let’s treat this as a bump and hopefully someone with expert knowledge help you get your issues resolved.

Btw- For the display, did you try reseating the display roms on the boards? They are real tough to get off but maybe there is a pin broken or bent somewhere. Also I had a display issue on my Frankenstein and there was a service bulletin with an updated cable from Sega. Good luck.

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Sorry that no one has responded to your issues. I wish I could help you with your pin but I am not experienced enough to give you advice. So let’s treat this as a bump and hopefully someone with expert knowledge help you get your issues resolved.
Btw- For the display, did you try reseating the display roms on the boards? They are real tough to get off but maybe there is a pin broken or bent somewhere. Also I had a display issue on my Frankenstein and there was a service bulletin with an updated cable from Sega. Good luck.

Thanks Scoot. I did remove and reseat the display ROM in order to give the pins a light clean and check over but it didn't help, unfortunately. I've checked all pins on all ROMS and the CPU and all look good. I've checked continuity from each pin to the board to discount fractures and they're all good. Can ROMs just corrupt over time or is that unusual? I think I need to get myself a spare set of ROMs and a CPU just so I can swap them out to eliminate them in this situation and (no doubt to follow!) other situations.

#304 5 years ago

I have never heard of them corrupt or going bad, and it seems you have a good understanding of basic electronics. The only other suggestion that I have experienced is cold solder joints. I always reflow the solder joints on a circuit board when i cant find any other issues. Sometims its hard to see these and has gotten me out of a jam from time to time. Good luck to you.

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have never heard of them corrupt or going bad, and it seems you have a good understanding of basic electronics. The only other suggestion that I have experienced is cold solder joints. I always reflow the solder joints on a circuit board when i cant find any other issues. Sometims its hard to see these and has gotten me out of a jam from time to time. Good luck to you.

I'm beginning to think this may be a way forward. How's best to do that? Individually reflowing each point? I had a laptop that had a known problem with solder joins facturing on the motherboard. Did some research and ended up wrapping it in tin foil and placing it in the oven at about 180 degrees celsius for 15 mins. Left it cool, rebuilt the laptop and it worked perfectly. Is this a reasonable approach to the CPU board? Not sure it would be a good idea with the I/O board because of things like the relay which may not like 180 degrees.

#306 5 years ago

I have had to reflow solder joints in the past and sometimes you can’t see cold solder joints by a visual inspection. There are a few posts on here about that but it is pretty simple and a little time consuming. You are correct and not recommended to stick boards in the oven, but a hot iron and a little flux paste will work well. Also reseating all the the ribbon cables and connectors on the boards may help too. Look for discolored or burnt looking connectors and any loose wires in and around them. Lastly, this may be obvious but check the fuses since the slow blow kind are hard to tell visually.

#307 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I have had to reflow solder joints in the past and sometimes you can’t see cold solder joints by a visual inspection. There are a few posts on here about that but it is pretty simple and a little time consuming. You are correct and not recommended to stick boards in the oven, but a hot iron and a little flux paste will work well. Also reseating all the the ribbon cables and connectors on the boards may help too. Look for discolored or burnt looking connectors and any loose wires in and around them. Lastly, this may be obvious but check the fuses since the slow blow kind are hard to tell visually.

Thanks again. Top tips. Hopefully I'll be able to report back when I get a few hours to mess about with it again.

#308 5 years ago

Whats the part number for the backbox hinge bolt and the cabinet hinge pivot bushing? Or does anyone know the dimension? (Sega Baywatch)

Skärmavbild 2018-05-30 kl. 21.38.28 (resized).pngSkärmavbild 2018-05-30 kl. 21.38.28 (resized).png

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#309 5 years ago

Just got a beautiful Maverick, but the paddle wheel is sticking every now and again (especially when bringing up a pinball). Does anybody know if this needs to be lubricated, or if there is a common issue that might cause this? I was going to dismantle everything and poke around, but thought I'd check in to see if anybody has experienced the sticking before I get in there.

#310 5 years ago
Quoted from MifflinMutant:

The game starts up normal and will go in to attract mode but after a small amount of gameplay it will power off and then restart.

Test the bridge rectifiers. My Baywatch had a reset issue that was caused by a bad BR. I've had a few Segas that had issued caused by a bad BR.

1 week later
#311 5 years ago
Quoted from ScruffyLookingNH:

No responses to my SW display issue, but no worries, let's try something else that makes the display issue take a back seat:
My Sega Star Wars Trilogy has picked up an annoying fault. Turn it on, get the "bloop", playfield lights come on, then after a couple of second, before anything else happens, the relay on the I/O Power Driver Board clicks, LED 204 comes on and stays on and the playfield lights die. Nothing else happens. All LEDs on the I/O and CPU/Sound board are lit so I have the power where I need it and it tests at a fraction over 5v where on the test point.
I've removed the various ROM modules and given them and their sockets a visual inspection and all appears OK. Tests in bridge rectifier 21 showed something was amiss so I replaced it only to find out when off the board it tested fine :/ I can't see where the issue is and there is very little I can find online to point me where to look next. Any ideas?

By "playfield lights" do you mean everything, just GI, or just inserts? I had a similar thing happen on my Batman forever as I was using the Xpin power board from my Jurassic Park. I could play a game without the GI and it turns out the fuse that controls GI had weak clips so the fuse was just sitting there but it looked to be firmly inserted. I just happened to squeeze the clips together and everything was back to normal. It's weird because I've never messed with that fuse.

1 week later
#312 5 years ago

I am having a little issue with some of my GI LEDs not staying on. I can push on them and they will turn on but if left alone they are either fully off or very dully lite. Anyone else come across this on any of their sega cabinets? Should I reflow the solder on the sockets or should I just replace the socket all together? Maybe something else needs rework?

light issue (resized).jpglight issue (resized).jpg
#313 5 years ago

A different issue on my X files is the opto lights in front of the filing cabinet need rework. Anyone know what I need to replace to have them all on just light the one of the right

file cabinet sensors (resized).jpgfile cabinet sensors (resized).jpg
#314 5 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

I am having a little issue with some of my GI LEDs not staying on. I can push on them and they will turn on but if left alone they are either fully off or very dully lite. Anyone else come across this on any of their sega cabinets? Should I reflow the solder on the sockets or should I just replace the socket all together? Maybe something else needs rework?[quoted image]

Have you tried cleaning the sockets, sometimes they get corroded and you get a poor connection.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-clean-old-4447-lamp-sockets

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

I am having a little issue with some of my GI LEDs not staying on. I can push on them and they will turn on but if left alone they are either fully off or very dully lite. Anyone else come across this on any of their sega cabinets? Should I reflow the solder on the sockets or should I just replace the socket all together? Maybe something else needs rework?[quoted image]

Also, try pulling the springs up. Sometimes that works for me.

2 months later
#316 5 years ago

Just a follow up from my previous post on my SW Trilogy issues:

Isolated the fault to the CN6 circuit. If you unplug CN6 (flipper switches, memory protect switch and the three service/diagnostic door mounted buttons) it starts up pretty much as normal and goes into attract mode. However, hit the start button and you get no new game or ball loaded and the “Negative” sound bite each time you press is until finally you get Vader saying “You have failed me for the last time”. Amusing but not helpful! Subsequent presses of the start button produce nothing.

I’ve checked continuity from each of the pins on the CN6 plug to the flippers and the door service/diagnostic switches and even the memory protection switch and all appears well. Checked the flipper buttons and they test good.

Had a repair guy out who brought a new board with him and that gave the exact same results so it’s fair to say there’s not fault in the board, I think.

I’ve exhausted all ideas as to what it could be. If CN6 is somehow causing the original fault then how can all the items on that circuit be testing good?

2 weeks later
#317 5 years ago

Picking up Frankenstein today my first pin. Jiust hope I don’t regret getting a Sega pinball everyone says its great and lots of fun and Sega pins are not underrated. So count me in.

#318 5 years ago

Very underrated pin. Durable and easy to work on. The ramps are unobtanium so be careful with them. The dmd is problematic and needs the updated harness if not installed already. If your display resets or is out, look for the service bulletin replacement harness to fix your problem.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6326-00

#320 5 years ago

Wow, good for him! I started that game back in September and the video scenes broke me. Looks like we had similar palette choices and that always makes me feel better about the picks I made. Can't wait to see some videos of it in action.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3702-mary-shelleys-frankenstein/

#321 5 years ago

Hi all,
Currently have a Twister that I've had for a couple years, the spinning disc is not spinning, which seems to be a common problem.

One solution was to replace the main ROM, which I'm finally getting around to replacing. I initially had trouble pulling out the existing ROM chips which is why I took so long to replace as I didn't want to break anything. Finally was able to figure out how to extract existing chips without causing damage.

Here are the chips I got:
TWISTER (SEGA) EPROM U210 GAME A4.05
TWISTER (SEGA) EPROM ROM0 DISPLAY A4.00

I replaced both in the game, but when I turned back on on game doesn't appear to boot. PF Lights come on, but game doesn't start. Removed the new main ROM (but left display) and replaced with original, and game booted after asking me to open door.

Question 1: Is there something I should be doing to help it boot with new ROM chip, or is it missing something else that needs to be added for the new ROM chip to work?

Question 2: Aside from display working as expected, how can I check that updated ROM is functioning properly, what has changed?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

twister1 (resized).JPGtwister1 (resized).JPGtwister2 (resized).JPGtwister2 (resized).JPG
#322 5 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I replaced both in the game, but when I turned back on on game doesn't appear to boot. PF Lights come on, but game doesn't start. Removed the new main ROM (but left display) and replaced with original, and game booted after asking me to open door.

At any time did you turn the game on with the game ROM 4.05 in upside down in the IC socket? If so, that would damage it.

Can you post a picture of the MPU board?

#323 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

At any time did you turn the game on with the game ROM 4.05 in upside down in the IC socket? If so, that would damage it.
Can you post a picture of the MPU board?

Thanks PM,
I'll try to post a picture tonight.

Regarding the chip, I don't believe I installed it incorrectly, I was aware of the notch, but I can't definitively say I didn't. Maybe I'll order a new chip to be sure, only $10. Should I grab new sound chips as well? I'm assuming there is a breakdown somewhere showing what changes/fixes are in each ROMset?

Thanks,

#324 5 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Thanks PM,
I'll try to post a picture tonight.
Regarding the chip, I don't believe I installed it incorrectly, I was aware of the notch, but I can't definitively say I didn't. Maybe I'll order a new chip to be sure, only $10. Should I grab new sound chips as well? I'm assuming there is a breakdown somewhere showing what changes/fixes are in each ROMset?
Thanks,

If you are referring to the phrase cutting out when you turn on the game, I am sure that is normal from what I remember when I had my game.

If you purchased the game ROM from someone, I would message them about it. They may send another without charging you. Testing it in a game or in an Eprom programmer would be only 2 ways to test it.

I never had an issue with my spinning disc, so I may not be of help there. I will have to check the manual and see what turns it on.

#325 5 years ago

Hi guys I hope you can help me on this one ...I'm looking for all the boards for a Sega space jam pinball ...any help would be appreciated.... thanks

4 weeks later
#326 5 years ago

I’m in I just bought a MSF and it’s pretty fun and it’s my first pin. Had a few issues and iced them all surprisingly you can still get parts. Even fixed the monsters head. May have to get another Sega since they aren’t outrageously priced. Stern

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

I’m in I just bought a MSF and it’s pretty fun and it’s my first pin. Had a few issues and iced them all surprisingly you can still get parts. Even fixed the monsters head. May have to get another Sega since they aren’t outrageously priced. Stern

Congrats. You'll like it even more with a ColorDMD.

#328 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Congrats. You'll like it even more with a ColorDMD.

Yes I have seen that but want to put in a LED kit first any ideas which is the best LED kit to buy and where?

#329 5 years ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

Yes I have seen that but want to put in a LED kit first any ideas which is the best LED kit to buy and where?

All personal pref. I like the coin taker kits, but maybe you want to make your own with colors or white?

#330 5 years ago

I like choosing my own color LEDs from Comet. Cool or warm white LEDs in the GI depending on the game and colored non-ghosting LEDs for the inserts.

#331 5 years ago

Get the natural white bulk packs from comet. I put them in my Frank and they looked great. Kits are good but you can save some $$ by doing it yourself.

#332 5 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Get the natural white bulk packs from comet. I put them in my Frank and they looked great. Kits are good but you can save some $$ by doing it yourself.

I bought the same thing, helped declownpuke my TMNT

1 week later
#333 5 years ago

Anyone know a source for the sega dop target 2 pin connectors? .100 IDC I believe... I can't seem to find them anywhere :/

20190201_164647 (resized).jpg20190201_164647 (resized).jpg

#334 5 years ago

Im not positive of where you can buy them. But I do know I have used wire snips to cut longer ones (to sizeish.) may not look factory but gets the same desired effect.

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Anyone know a source for the sega dop target 2 pin connectors? .100 IDC I believe... I can't seem to find them anywhere :/
[quoted image]

I don't know where to get the original connectors but the female 2 pin jst connectors fit. I have some from an ebay order error, if you need them just send me a pm and I can mail you some.

Ebay listing: https://tinyurl.com/yct7gpjl

There's a picture of the fit here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/south-park-club-come-on-in/page/7#post-4073595

#336 5 years ago

thanks for the reply, i have a couple molex from GPE coming, i am going to see if they fit and if I can try to put 2 wires into one connector. Surprising this was never reprod, seems easy enough.

3 weeks later
#337 5 years ago

I noticed that some machines have the production numbers while others do not. IPDB did not have numbers either, is there a good place to get an estimate for these machines? SST in particular.

Thanks

#338 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

I noticed that some machines have the production numbers while others do not. IPDB did not have numbers either, is there a good place to get an estimate for these machines? SST in particular.
Thanks

I'd like to know for Baywatch too out of curiosity. I've always heard 2500 but nothing concrete.

#339 5 years ago

Anyone know the point of these two caps? On the bottom of the large sega dmd driver board?

While on the subject of this board, what was the purpose of the unpopulated caps, large diodes and what looks to be another 5v connector?

2D0F31D2-BB3F-4B98-B7B4-A9F5E468140B (resized).jpeg2D0F31D2-BB3F-4B98-B7B4-A9F5E468140B (resized).jpeg
#340 5 years ago
IMG_20180621_173622 (resized).jpgIMG_20180621_173622 (resized).jpg
#341 5 years ago
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-05 at 17.41.33(1) (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-03-05 at 17.41.33(1) (resized).jpeg
#342 5 years ago

Does anyone need a new ID4 Alien Head?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#343 5 years ago

Very happy to finally join the club! Picked up a lost world for a great price, and I have to say I am really enjoying it! Put some led strips in (trough, scoop, shooter lane, and backboard) and in my opinion, they look amazing. I would also highly recommend the led pop bumper rings from comet. The way they fade in and out with an LED OCD board is amazing. For some reason, the drop target can’t drop itself, so I have the snagger disabled. I suspect it is the coil.

Going on a bit of a Sega streak. Going to be picking up a LiS and an XF here pretty soon. Will post pics!

71B53676-8A5C-411E-A77B-89BF0F31A895.jpeg71B53676-8A5C-411E-A77B-89BF0F31A895.jpeg28BF0902-B53C-41AD-BE67-66DB2F0C5E88.jpeg28BF0902-B53C-41AD-BE67-66DB2F0C5E88.jpeg4F2BE7CE-3B7F-4C99-B6E3-455BF7E368BB.jpeg4F2BE7CE-3B7F-4C99-B6E3-455BF7E368BB.jpeg51935E51-1F80-4840-837E-E4B596781CD7.jpeg51935E51-1F80-4840-837E-E4B596781CD7.jpegAA3418CC-5E53-4FD3-B5BC-2DC5B6265E3D.jpegAA3418CC-5E53-4FD3-B5BC-2DC5B6265E3D.jpeg
#344 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Very happy to finally join the club! Picked up a lost world for a great price, and I have to say I am really enjoying it! Put some led strips in (trough, scoop, shooter lane, and backboard) and in my opinion, they look amazing. I would also highly recommend the led pop bumper rings from comet. The way they fade in and out with an LED OCD board is amazing. For some reason, the drop target can’t drop itself, so I have the snagger disabled. I suspect it is the coil.
Going on a bit of a Sega streak. Going to be picking up a LiS and an XF here pretty soon. Will post pics!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

what is is the part number for the pop bumper rings

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The snagger drop target and snagger itself are a main and common issue with these. I’ve made a club thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-world-jurassic-park-club

Here’s one of my snagger issues
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lwjp-switch-and-coil-issue

You’ll have to dive in and check it out! Hopefully it’s easy like a wire came off. Otherwise it honestly isn’t that bad to redo but troubleshooting it is hard since so many actions require certain conditions

#347 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The snagger drop target and snagger itself are a main and common issue with these. I’ve made a club thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-world-jurassic-park-club
Here’s one of my snagger issues
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lwjp-switch-and-coil-issue
You’ll have to dive in and check it out! Hopefully it’s easy like a wire came off. Otherwise it honestly isn’t that bad to redo but troubleshooting it is hard since so many actions require certain conditions

Awesome, thanks! I’ll take a look at that!

#348 4 years ago

Added a Lost in Space and X Files to the collection!
Putting a flipper fidelity speaker upgrade in the X Files.
Quick question, is it normal for X Files to take a couple tries to boot up? Everything works fine, it just takes 1 or 2 extra times to boot.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
#349 4 years ago

Got one the wife loves it.

IMG_20190322_205916 (resized).jpgIMG_20190322_205916 (resized).jpg
#350 4 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Added a Lost in Space and X Files to the collection!
Putting a flipper fidelity speaker upgrade in the X Files.
Quick question, is it normal for X Files to take a couple tries to boot up? Everything works fine, it just takes 1 or 2 extra times to boot.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Had a LIS for s week , then parted with her, diddnt rock my boat.
But man i freaking LOVE my Sega Baywatch!!!
Realy realy underrated game
Easely a top 20 pin!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 426 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-club/page/7?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.