• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GVONM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

hi all

working on a friends baywatch. here is the weird issue. after getting the game to boot and start a game and launch a ball and the games plays as normal and then all of a sudden there is no power to any of the switches and the flippers do not work. i am stumped to even what to call this issue. it has an XPIN power board and a rottendog mpu004 board. on the mpu board i noticed that when everything is working fine the 5volt light is one and the light labled "blank" is on. There is a third light labeled "P!A" that comes on at boot briefly.

when the switches stop working i noticed that the "blank" light goes out.

I am at a lost. not sure where to start on this one.

Thanks for the help

#2 8 years ago

Do you have an original Sega MPU board to try?

#3 8 years ago

I would look at your power supply voltages. Remove the Power Supply and the PPB board and check the solder joints on the connectors and the fuse holders. Resolder as necessary.

Also look at the connectors and look for any burnt ones to fix on either of these boards while you have it out.

Your +5 volts is probably low when this happens to your game.

Download the manual here for reference:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2848/Baywatch_Manual.pdf

#4 8 years ago

If the machine is not resetting entirely (ending the game and going back into attract mode) I would not suspect the 5v power supply. Cold solder joints are not going to be a problem considering both boards are new. I've used X-Pin power supplies in several games and have not seen an issue like this. Does the sound still work? If so the 12v power supply that drives the switches (I think it's 12v in Sega games) is fine.

#5 8 years ago

i dont have the original board to check. i did check the power at the rotten dog board. called rottendog and they said they will check the board. i think he stated it was a safety feature to protect the chip

i will keep updating the thread as i find out info

#6 8 years ago

the music plays but the the "blank" light goes out the switches and the music stop. the led indicators for the voltage on the XPIN board are still illuminated

#7 8 years ago

How does sega monitor the blanking. Is it the same theory as Williams?

Basically if the blanking goes low, a circuit (typically a pia output) stopped cycling for a certain interval of time. When this happens it triggers the blanking. Blanking normally can be treated as a symptom of a non working board, not a cause.

If the power supply board is outputting good voltage, have the MPU serviced. Hopefully it is under warranty.

#8 8 years ago

Or buy a used original board that has worked for 20 years and will continue working.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

How does sega monitor the blanking. Is it the same theory as Williams?
Basically if the blanking goes low, a circuit (typically a pia output) stopped cycling for a certain interval of time. When this happens it triggers the blanking. Blanking normally can be treated as a symptom of a non working board, not a cause.
If the power supply board is outputting good voltage, have the MPU serviced. Hopefully it is under warranty.

that is how it works. i couldnt remember all of the details. it is warranted so hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

4 years later
#10 4 years ago

Did you ever find the issue with this? I'm having the same issue on Time Machine with MPU004. Blanking LED goes out. Music still plays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-baywatch-wierd-issues?hl=gvonm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.