(Topic ID: 331985)

Sega Baywatch screen always showing 0 for score?? SOLVED!!

By Soulrider911

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2432 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey, friends. Well, I need your help. I have never seen this before. I'll cut right to it.

Everything works in the game as it should, you would assume it's all functioning until you play a game and notice the score never changes and is stuck at 0?? The game does have a colorDMD in it.

Here is what I have tried/inspected so far:
- Service update to the display harness to ensure good 5v
- Swapped out roms, to ensure it was not a rom issue
- Tried the original dot matrix display and has the same issue.
- all ribbon cables are oriented properly,
- all ribbon cable headers have no missing pins.
- I have a new ribbon cable on the way, but the one that is in the game currently appears to be fine.

I literally am at a loss, the only thing I can think of is something wrong with the video driver board, or maybe the CPU board.

I would love any direction, as I literally have no idea where to go from here. thank you !

#2 1 year ago

Thinking more about this i wonder if this could be a memory issue... not storing

#3 1 year ago

Have you tried doing a factory reset for all adjustments? It's a long shot, but there could be a bug in the game's software.

#4 1 year ago

thanks I have... and from my tech tells me system memory is stored differently than in game... so it would be the 6264 chip on the CPU... I have ordered and VNram to see if maybe that helps.

#5 1 year ago

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure that NVRAM is going to fix your problem.

1 week later
#7 1 year ago

installed NVRAM, and a new ribbon cable... sadly did not fix the issue... so there has to be a bad chip or something on one of the boards, wow this is frustrating

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

Looking at your video it looks like you have a Pin2DMD? (I do have one in my Baywatch)
If yes, then you could try updating the color files to the latest version.
I could imagine this is an old version of the color file. Latest version = V1.1

#9 1 year ago

Thank you I actually have a Color DMD, Its so sad the game is basically not playable. My only hope is my tech works his magic. Apprecaite it!

#10 1 year ago

Wouldn't it be better to contact colorDMD?
Maybe they have seen this behavior before on other machines.

(I'm surprised to hear it's actually a colorDMD, given my colors on my Pin2DMD are pretty much the same. Maybe you could post a picture of the DMD?)

#11 1 year ago

Thanks, yep I have already had extensive talks with colorDMD. it is not the display. I actually have the original dot matrix display I plugged back in, and though it does not really work, I got it working long enough to determine the score problem was persisting on the old screen as well. I also tried replacing the power board, same issue. LIteraly the last thing I can think of is a chip, or something on the CPU... So I bit the bullet and ordered a rotten dog replacement to try. If it is not the CPU... I give up and it becomes an over-sized paper weight.

2 weeks later
#12 1 year ago

Ok, wow. We have it fixed. My Tech, who is very good, had never in all his years seen something like this. After hours and hours of testing, debugging, and manually triggering scores, my tech finally noticed that the culprit was a chip on the CPU. Most of us had come to the conclusion it was something on the board. Here is the summary from my tech:

"Problem from the factory! Auto insertion (“pick and place”) machine failed to bullseye a couple of pins on this chip into their holes.  The bent under legs made good enough connections to their pads that the board worked, probably for decades that way. Eventually, the one on pin 1 made a poor connection, since it is not actually soldered. Because the memory protect switch was all busted up and failed to make a connection, no one could even tell there was a problem, since the problem only happens when the computer sees the door closed. Replacing the bad memory protect switch revealed the problem, and now we can SEE the problem, without even using test equipment. These bent legs are the inputs to the quad NAND gate that determines if the ram is being addressed. "

Amazing. I wanted to share in the rare case someone else runs into this

IMG_2432 (resized).jpgIMG_2432 (resized).jpg

#13 1 year ago

That is simply insane!! Once in a lifetime occurrence. Passed factory testing and nearly 30 years of vigorous playing, moving, temperature differences, board repairs, etc. Simply amazing. This should be an official wonder of the world. LOL

#14 1 year ago

Way to stick with it, I am so happy you got it figured out!!! I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

These bent legs are the inputs to the quad NAND gate that determines if the ram is being addressed. "

My guess is the address space used for the score was not being written to because that pin on the chip was reading low (open circuit).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-baywatch-screen-always-showing-0-for-score-help?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.