• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Ok, I'm i need of some assistance here.

I have a problem getting the display board on my baywatch to work, Ive been reading alot about how these things can cause lots of trouble with the slightest deviation in the 5 volt line.

Now when its powered on, without the display board connected I measure a steady 5 volts, but with the board connected, it drops to around 3 volts.

any help would be appreciated

#2 5 years ago

check the bridges and the caps, most of the time it is the capacitor leaking causing lower voltages. I have had to do this on 2 baywatch machines and one frankenstein

#3 5 years ago

So you mean the caps on the display board, or power board?

#4 5 years ago

These are the Power Supply Board in top left.

#5 5 years ago

Wel that's the strange thing, all my voltages are ok.

I hooked up an external 5 volt to my display board, and as soon as I connect it power drops to 3 volts again, this thing is driving me nuts :p

#6 5 years ago

Have you done the upgrade kit to the power wire yet? http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1379

I realize they are out of stock, but Pinballife usually has them, but their website is down until the end of the month.

Here is a link to the bulletin: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb106.pdf

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PTHermes:

Have you done the upgrade kit to the power wire yet? http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1379
I realize they are out of stock, but Pinballife usually has them, but their website is down until the end of the month.

Yes, the kit itself takes 5 minutes to make yourself if you have some wire and IDC or molex connectors. Resolves some of the reset issues.

#8 5 years ago

Kit is already installed, yet the problem persists, nice 5 volts when not connected but a drop when connected.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Brandje:

Kit is already installed, yet the problem persists, nice 5 volts when not connected but a drop when connected.

5v cap replaced on PSU?

#10 5 years ago

Does the game even boot when the display board is connected? If the voltage drops to +3v, the CPU probably won't boot either

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Brandje:

I hooked up an external 5 volt to my display board, and as soon as I connect it power drops to 3 volts again, this thing is driving me nuts :p

If the external power supply provided sufficient current to the DMD then something on the DMD board is pulling the voltage down.

#12 5 years ago

ordered some new caps for the power board, but I'm still convinced the problem is in the display board.

Quoted from Hana9so:

Does the game even boot when the display board is connected? If the voltage drops to +3v, the CPU probably won't boot either

Yes, boots just fine, i can play without any problems, just no display

Quoted from terryb:

If the external power supply provided sufficient current to the DMD then something on the DMD board is pulling the voltage down.

My thoughts exactly, but i cant figure out what.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Brandje:

My thoughts exactly, but i cant figure out what.

This type of issue is not easy to narrow down. It's often easiest to cut the 5 volt traces to narrow down the issue to a general area and then narrow it down from there by removing components.

#14 5 years ago

found a new display board, and things are up and working again, no clue what caused the other boards problems. thanks for all your help!

#15 5 years ago

Good to hear.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 24.00
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Verne, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside