8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

matrix_(resized).JPG

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on Sega Batman that has a switch matrix issue. There are several switches that need to remain closed for a long period of time(like 1 whole second or more)to register. I thought I had dirty or sticking switches so I replaced those and still the same problem. So I removed connectors cn8 and cn10 and using an alligator clip and a diode I jumpered every row and column in the matrix and sure enough the problem switches were registering slow. All other switches register immediately upon jumpering but switches 44,45,46 and 60,61,62 have a lag in time to register. Does anyone have advice on why or what could be causing this? Any help much appreciated.

matrix_(resized).JPGmatrix_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

I have a Batman Forever. Still working out the bugs with my batcave - damn switches are temperamental.

I have the same delays with the switches in the batcave - 60, 61, 62. Not sure sure about the 44, 45, 46 but I'm guessing it's the same as yours.

I believe this is by design. You don't want the switches in the batcave going off especially Lock 3 and Lock 2 as the first ball passes those to get to the Lock 1 position. For it to be Locked, it needs to close the switch for about a second. The first time I was working on the batcave switches, I thought something was wrong too.

#3 8 years ago

Sounds like maybe your issue is just the switches bigbadmiker? I agree they are a pain to adjust. Make sure you have the right switches in there. I'm pretty sure those switches come in different actuating strengths measured in grams. I remember reading somewhere that the little button color has to do with how many grams of force the switch needs to trigger. I find it hard to believe that switch timing would be designed in but maybe. Curious to hear from others.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Sounds like maybe your issue is just the switches bigbadmiker? I agree they are a pain to adjust. Make sure you have the right switches in there. I'm pretty sure those switches come in different actuating strengths measured in grams. I remember reading somewhere that the little button color has to do with how many grams of force the switch needs to trigger. I find it hard to believe that switch timing would be designed in but maybe. Curious to hear from others.

Yep - you're right about the switches. I don't want to steal the thread from the OP, but I even ordered new switches from Pinballife after making the mistake of using roll-over switches I picked up at Radio Shack. The Pinballife switches are still to strong. Damn ball gets stuck on lock 2 switch, when there is a ball on Lock 1 -then it gets kicked out, then sometimes the solenoid will kick hard enough that the ball releases from lock 2, but half the time, not. I continue to fine tune, could really just use the lightest roll-over switches possible, haven't found any better yet.

Back on OP's topic --- Yes, hope others will chime in about the switch timing... just made sense to me that they would be that way to allow the ball to pass by Lock 3 and Lock 2 without closing the switch every time just to get to Lock 1.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-batman-slow-registering-switch-closures and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.