• Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Finishing up my x files and realized I am getting no sound from the single crappy speaker. Want to add 2 nice speakers but need this figured out first. I have checked what I thought would be basic stuff...Connector has continuity to each wire end. Connector pin has continuity to wire as well...Am I missing something obvious to check? A connector that controls the single speaker? ribbon cable? Cab speaker sounds great with ne speaker I added.

Cant imagine a board problem since all it does is runny that crappy original speaker. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

The whitestra audio system has two audio amps: one for cabinet and one for backbox. First you need to rule out a bad speaker. You can hook a 9v battery to the speaker leads and verify you hear tone. Once you determine its the board, you should make sure the header pins are ok. And if so , you may need to swap the tda2030 that runs the backbox.

When you install the new speakers, make sure you don't drop under 4 ohms. This means standard car speakers for the backbox will need to be wired in series.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

When you install the new speakers, make sure you don't drop under 4 ohms. This means standard car speakers for the backbox will need to be wired in series.

When I changed the cabinet speaker for STTNG I noticed the backbox speakers are 4 ohms each, and they are wired in parallel. That would result in 2 ohms in total. This was installed like that from the factory and more WMS games have it that way.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

When I changed the cabinet speaker for STTNG I noticed the backbox speakers are 4 ohms each, and they are wired in parallel. That would result in 2 ohms in total. This was installed like that from the factory and more WMS games have it that way.

The fact that Williams sound engineers were idiots doesn't change the fact that the tda2030 amp is a 4 ohm stable amp only. It says so clearly in the part data sheet. I haven't looked at the schematic for the Williams DCS sound board but perhaps it has a resistor inline to prevent impedance dropping too low. Many 4 ohm speakers are actually closer to 6 ohms and often tweeters have such little draw that in practice they don't strain the load (Williams games have a mid range and a tweeter). It is wrong to wire two matching 4 ohm car speakers in parallel in a Sega game. Why would you want to put extra stress on a 20 year old sound board that's no longer available to replace?

#5 10 years ago

Thanks. Looks like the output transistor for the bb speaker is cracked and looks like it could be culprit. My new speakers will be wired in series. Ill post a pic of trans. in a bit.

#6 10 years ago

You mean the 5 pin amp? Just order and solder in a new one

#7 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
Looks like toast?

#8 10 years ago

That looks pretty bad. So yea get a new one. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/TDA2030A

Make sure your speaker isn't shorted before testing the new one. Looks like something blew that up like a direct short.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-backbox-speaker-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.