You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A13flashers (resized).jpg
44786435_2133911986859330_2563122742928867328_n (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Sega Apollo 13, whitestar.
Bought the game with a broken Q32 this drives the 4 rocket flashers (#89s: 2 under the rocket, 2 in the backbox)

The flashers under the rocket looked like this (see image attached).
Luckily I had this in spare so I replaced that part including the cable and connector towards the playfield below.
I measured from the connector (without lamps) and I had no short on that plastic with 2 flasher sockets

When I reinstalled the power board with the replaced TIP122, everything worked including those flashers for a few minutes. So when I did solenoid and flashers test, all worked ok. Also in game.
Then suddenly, they started being locked on again.

Ok so replaced the TIP122 and the driving IC U4 (HCT273). Checked resistors R215 and R32 their values but again the same thing happened.
The last time was after 3 full ok games with all the flashers operating. I shoot the ball in the right saucer and play the video mode. When video mode is over and ball is kicked out the flashers are locked on.

Any help please, I'm really stuck now what to look for.

The strange thing is that they work for a while, even after the moving parts moved (like rocket flasher, moon, ..)
Is 4 flashers too much for a TIP122? Should I led them or what else could be the problem?
(semi) shorted flasher sockets? Bad #89 bulbs ..?

44786435_2133911986859330_2563122742928867328_n (resized).jpg44786435_2133911986859330_2563122742928867328_n (resized).jpgA13flashers (resized).jpgA13flashers (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I replaced the busted TIP122 with a TIP102 today (8amps instead of 5amps).

I replaced all backboard insert flashers and disconnected the connector at the rocket for the rocket flashers.
So now I operate 2 of the 4 flashers on that driver.

After ten games still ok.

Now I will swap the operated flashers: disconnect the backpanel insert flashers and instead play my next games with the 2 playfield flashers under rocket connected.
After thoroughly investigating the rocket flashers below the rocket.

I do know that:
- the origin isn't my powerboard pcb but somewhere a short in the playfield. Actually must be at the rocket because the playfield wire harness and backboard harness was still there for the last 10 games. Only the last part towards the rocket was disconnected.
OR
- my replacement tip122 was too soft to be able to operate those 4 flashers?
OR
- I had a bad bulb?

My assumptions are correct or any other advice?

#3 5 years ago

Guess this answers all my questions...:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/apollo-13-notes-and-question#post-4655477

I just don't understand why the other flasher combinations don't suffer from the same issue then..

#4 5 years ago

Playing my games with only the playfield rocket flashers now... backbox flashers taken out. all still ok.

Ps: is my post visible? As there are a lot of people here but zero response...

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Playing my games with only the playfield rocket flashers now... backbox flashers taken out. all still ok.
Ps: is my post visible? As there are a lot of people here but zero response...

It's an uncommon game with an uncommon problem, so not many can offer a concrete solution. But you are not alone...

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

Update... been playing lots of games with the tip102 and all four flashers installed, no problems so I guess we can conclude the tip122 being the wrong component for these four flashers.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Update... been playing lots of games with the tip102 and all four flashers installed, no problems so I guess we can conclude the tip122 being the wrong component for these four flashers.

Thanks for following up. Someone will appreciate this resolution being posted a year or two down the road!

#8 5 years ago

On many tutorials said to put TIP102 instead TIP122.TIP102 have better specification than the original TIP122.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-apollo-13-strange-rocket-flasher-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.