4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a homebrew game and I am deciding on the slingshot design. I could get a pair of used slingshot assemblies from a Baywatch or Playboy 35th for pretty cheap. I tend to like that design better than the separate kicker and switches, but I don't know if there is any inherent weakness in the design. Any thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

The one downside is you can't play around with the positioning of the mech as much. If you've got space constraints it might be an issue. Otherwise I don't think there's any mechanical/performance difference?

On the subject of slingshot mechs, I wonder how linear mechs compare?

#3 4 years ago

I've never dealt with the linear mechs. I was looking at the new mechs from Pinball Life, when I found some for a lot cheaper. The playfields in question are rethemes, so the holes are precut and are the standard size/spacing(one a Williams Flash and one a Scared Stiff). When I could buy a set for $30 and whatever parts might be worn, it seems to make sense to go with the older Sega/Data East mech.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

On the subject of slingshot mechs, I wonder how linear mechs compare?

Linear mechs aren't great - you have to get the opening exactly correct since the actuator is a lot wider than the normal pivoting type. I don't think they perform as well either since there's more mass to get moving (just like Bally's crappy linear flippers).

These were GREAT for operators because they tended to work for a long time without any maintenance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-and-data-east-slingshot-designs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.