IMG_0589_(resized).JPG
IMG_0588_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_0577_(resized).JPG
IMG_0578_(resized).JPG
IMG_0575_(resized).JPG
IMG_0574_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Sold my Maverick a few months back and the gent that bought it said the DMD stopped working yesterday.. Well after having him check boards etc, he sent me these pics.
Not sure what could've caused this, but does it look repairable? Hopefully it is, those are pricey!!
Thanks

Wow, I've never seen one fail like this before. Usually the panel will just die with no visual indication on the board. It appears you have at least two component failures, a capacitor and something else on the far right in that photo that looks burned to a crisp. Maybe a resistor? The electrolyte leaking from the capacitor looks to have done damage to the board. Vishay does repair these, but only certain contacts will allow you to do this. And that's if it's a Vishay, which I doubt. His only option at the moment is a DMD Extender. Have him look at this thread, it steps you through every detail. If he's not into a DIY solution then he needs to sell the game. This is literally the only option until the simpler PinballSP LED display kit becomes available.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd

Quoted from Jvspin:

Looks like something in the supply blew in a very bad way. If the glass is good, electronics should be repairable but don't know how hard it is to get to the backside of the board (ie, do you have to remove the display from the board?). Also, is there a schematic of the display driver circuitry?

Repairing these yourself is impossible because the glass will have to be removed, which is hundreds of tiny little connections. And I can't imagine it's cost effective either to have Vishay do it (again, it doesn't look like a Vishay) compared to a $250 DMD Extender solution.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So it seems the DMD extender will be a good choice here. I hope it is still available.

It is. David can now be reached easily, you will be put on a short waiting list for about a month.

Quoted from Harvs:

If not he will have to grab a new one.. Ouch!

That won't be an option, these have been out of production for a long time and nobody has one, even for $500+. At that price it's nearly half the value of the machine.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I also worry that something may have been damaged on the power supply.

I doubt this, the display generates its own high voltage (+60v/+100v) from a low voltage +18v source coming from the game's power supply.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Yep, can still play blind.
Crash - It's a Babcock. - Doesn't PBL sell them? Their site is down but here's the cached version.
Not sure what a Mav would go for without the DMD? - And the guy really likes the game. What a shh!tty part to take a dump.. Rather it be any other board..

I've seen cases where these are listed as available but if you call them or add it to your cart they are not. Having a blown DMD is a big turn off to buyers. I can't exactly say what impact it will have value wise but the loss will probably exceed the value of the DMD.

Even if PBL has them for some reason they are not taking orders until the end of the month. He can order an Extender and have all the other parts in hand by the time the Extender board ships/arrives.

SmartDMD is an option too but the software is very buggy. It's been a big problem for me.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Can it be tested on a LOTR or Road Show so it's plug and play for him, or is Mav necessary to do this?

You can test it on any of the games you have. Just be sure to change the display setting to Sega large 192x64 using the configuration utility on the SD card before disassembling the kit and sending it to him. You just won't be able to physically do a test fit because it's a larger 17.3" screen.

#25 7 years ago

Check out my thread, I list all the parts and assembly details.

#29 7 years ago

PinballSP has a large display kit in the works.

#46 7 years ago

I'm pretty much the DMD Extender go-to guy. If you need any help shoot me a PM. I see these large Sega DMD threads about once a month and have become quite familiar with things.

1 month later
#48 7 years ago

Bump. What did you end up doing?

10 months later
#52 6 years ago

Curious, did this ever work out?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sega-192x64-dmd-is-this-fixable?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.