Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by clg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Freq (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Due to crazy NZ pinball pricing I will be importing SW and future titles to save a few $$$

To get around the USA to NZ conversion I will be using a step-down transformer with frequency converter.......

However, in the latest Stern factory tour it makes me wonder if any transformer is needed? The worker is setting frequency at 50hz. Maybe once these settings are entered at the factory they are set in stone but it's food for thought and I've never seen this menu.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

The frequency is like a clock. It's only slightly different but enough for appliances like an oven to run slow. It could very well work without changing the frequency but most step-down transformers have this as a feature these days.

Simple enough to place it inside the pin so from the outside its still very much plug-n-play.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

See if you can get a Euro machine. No step down and hertz converter needed. Just change the plug.
    What is your plan if there is a warranty concern? The postage to sort out issues will more than likely exceed your saving. If you use a step down transformer and hertz converter, every time you have a voltage fluctuation the machine will more than likely reset and come up country error.
    Good luck!

I've saved a few dollars in the past with SAM. Easy done and nothing needed. I'm not talking about a few hundred in savings, it's about $1,500 per pin. Our LE cost is $14,990.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Except it's not nearly accurate enough for a computer to use for a clock. The only reason they seem to use it is just to screw people

Agreed, that's why I found it so interesting watching that lady set the machine for the country of destination. Obviously the software can do it and no hardware change is needed, well I couldn't see a volts setting so maybe just the frequency is built in.

I bet old oga83 with pinball browser could crack it.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

I doubt Stern would continue turning a blind eye if Pinball Browser could be used to remove the import restrictions.

I don't know if it's so much a restriction or just the requirements set for each country. At the end of the day a cheap transformer as mentioned can beat any "restriction" Stern has.

However, it would be a great feature built in to the machine. Most appliances now days I own, shaver, phone charger etc can use either 110-240v 50/60hz no problems. If travelling I just take a universal wall adapter.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

Bear in mind that your warranty will be invalid if it's a grey import, but saying that the warranty is pretty crap to start with.

With one distributor in NZ our warranty is minimal.

I do have a US distributor that I would like to support as he's done so much for the community. I've been waiting for an excuse to use his services so here's my chance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seen-this-spike-2-diagnostic-menu?tu=grg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.