Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    XzUSs8O5Oj.jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

I have about 1200 into a sharp shooter i bought very early on into the hobby. I think 500 is fair (new mpu installed, spare parts ldu and ssdu are included). Not every toy you buy will be break even. At least i am not trying to get 2k for a de wwf. Dropping the price of an 900-1100 game to 1600 seems a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, not giving it away.
    Seriously, anyone want to buy a sharp shooter? 450 cash and carry. My overpayment is my issue, not the buyer.

pix ?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

so there is a glut, pretty bad of stuff available locally to buy. there is retailer locally who sells overpriced pins who buys stuff at fair market value and then jacks the prices up to un-reasonable levels. apparently there is enough people out there to pay absurd prices for games, enough to keep this guy in buisness. frankly i wish he would go under so he would have to liquidate his inventory at fair market prices..... recently i know of a firepower II and a Space Shuttle that one local seller had...... he bought both games. i looked at the Space Shuttle and he wanted $1,200. this guy bought it for $950 apparently chewed the guy down... i would have considered buying it myself but the playfield needed work and i wasnt willing to pay $1,200. this guy also bought a Big Guns for $1,000 ( i also looked at this game nice but not really a Big Guns fan) its now in his store for $2,600.... i went there and looked at his stuff and i thought the prices were absurd, frankly he doesnt want "my type" in his store.... i know what the stuff is worth and what its not worth. $2,600 for a Big Guns is an absurd price to pay for a mediocre game. he had a Revenge From Mars, in nice shape but at $4,000 that game is not worth it... he also had a getaway for $3,300...... with a bad DMD.
    so this brings two things to mind.....
    who ever the hell is paying these absurd prices for this games, stop. you are hurting the local market giving this guy more "fuel" (money) to remove games sold at fair market value and allowing him to screw people over
    stop selling games to this guy because he is trying to create a monoply on used pins and i dont like it. its one thing to buy multiple games as an individual and play them, if you own enough eventually you will probably sell something... there are people getting into this hobby that new to it and want to buy something inexpensive as a 1st or second pin.
    i wish this guy would go out of buisness so he would be forced to sell his pins at fair market value in a liquidation type of event.
    apparently he told me he has 1,000 games in a warehouse (i dont know if that's true). that's 1,000 games out of the hands of private individuals.

If you want bargains maybe your in the wrong hobby, try dolls or pez dispensers or something.

#53 9 years ago

even the book calls WWF RR a $1,400 game; $900 good luck finding one that cheap that actually works. if that guy bought my WWF it would probably be in his store in a week at $3,500 at the kind of prices he's asking

#54 9 years ago

My favorite part is how the OP went and looked at the game first for a reasonable price, walked from it, then went and looked at it for twice the price at the business and walked from it again.

Then goes on pinside and complains the guy's buying up all the deals and he doesn't have an opportunity to buy any....

A, then B, then C because A never happened

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

My favorite part is how the OP went and looked at the game first for a reasonable price, walked from it, then went and looked at it for twice the price at the business and walked from it again.
    Then goes on pinside and complains the guy's buying up all the deals and he doesn't have an opportunity to buy any....
    A, then B, then C because A never happened

2nd favorite... favorite is this...

Quoted from ad356:

even the book calls WWF RR a $1,400 game; $900 good luck finding one that cheap that actually works. if that guy bought my WWF it would probably be in his store in a week at $3,500 at the kind of prices he's asking

you complain that the guy buys every pin around at "reasonable price" and resells them for "more than you believe they are worth", yet you are also complaining that you have had a pin listed for a long time and it hasn't sold...

one would think that if the pin you are selling is "reasonably priced" (which you obviously think all pins should be priced at), you wouldn't be having so much difficulty selling it... after all, the "hoarder" should have been all over it...

#56 9 years ago

To add another data point: when I lived in that area, I bought at least ten pins locally at fair prices. These were listed on pinside, craigslist, and ebay.

2.1k WW, 3k NGG, 2.6k BSD, 1.2k SST, 0.3k Sharpshooter, 2.2k Nascar, 2.5k for Space Shuttle and Diner combo, 4.2k TSPP and shiner bock neon, and a 0.3k time warp for a friend.

I was patient, never really looked for specific titles, and usually had cash on hand ready to go

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok, so you want a hard working entrepreneur to go out of business? What do you think fuels the economy? It could be worse, he could be on welfare or whatever that would be called in the States.

Quoted from ad356:

so there is a glut, pretty bad of stuff available locally to buy. there is retailer locally who sells overpriced pins who buys stuff at fair market value and then jacks the prices up to un-reasonable levels. apparently there is enough people out there to pay absurd prices for games, enough to keep this guy in buisness. frankly i wish he would go under so he would have to liquidate his inventory at fair market prices..... recently i know of a firepower II and a Space Shuttle that one local seller had...... he bought both games. i looked at the Space Shuttle and he wanted $1,200. this guy bought it for $950 apparently chewed the guy down... i would have considered buying it myself but the playfield needed work and i wasnt willing to pay $1,200. this guy also bought a Big Guns for $1,000 ( i also looked at this game nice but not really a Big Guns fan) its now in his store for $2,600.... i went there and looked at his stuff and i thought the prices were absurd, frankly he doesnt want "my type" in his store.... i know what the stuff is worth and what its not worth. $2,600 for a Big Guns is an absurd price to pay for a mediocre game. he had a Revenge From Mars, in nice shape but at $4,000 that game is not worth it... he also had a getaway for $3,300...... with a bad DMD.
    so this brings two things to mind.....
    who ever the hell is paying these absurd prices for this games, stop. you are hurting the local market giving this guy more "fuel" (money) to remove games sold at fair market value and allowing him to screw people over
    stop selling games to this guy because he is trying to create a monoply on used pins and i dont like it. its one thing to buy multiple games as an individual and play them, if you own enough eventually you will probably sell something... there are people getting into this hobby that new to it and want to buy something inexpensive as a 1st or second pin.
    i wish this guy would go out of buisness so he would be forced to sell his pins at fair market value in a liquidation type of event.
    apparently he told me he has 1,000 games in a warehouse (i dont know if that's true). that's 1,000 games out of the hands of private individuals.

this calls for government regulation... Not. We have a dealer here in rochester that snaps up a lot of games. He is a customer of mine. I had a meteor and a blackout on mr pinball. I had done a bunch of work to both both repair wise and cosmetically. Playfield touchups, legs derusted, coin doors painted, cabinets filled and touched up. He payed me 1250.00 each and he has them in his pretty impressive showroom for 2695.00 each. Someone will buy them eventually. He will continue to be a customer too because he knows I will provide him with a solid product that he can flip without too many headaches and keep his business profitable. I'm sure this happens alot. I could have gotten a few more bucks by selling to an end-user but I covered my costs and enjoyed fixing and playing these games while I had them. Turn your problem into your solution...

#58 9 years ago

I know everybody loves car analogies:

Your local "Classic Car Showroom" charges 2x the price for a 1967 Mustang that someone would pay on CL.

The reason the Showroom does not go out of business, is because the kind of customer that buys from them, is a totally different customer than someone who buys from CL.

The Dealer provides handholding that a private seller can't provide. Warranty, delivery, scheduled service, CarFax, detailing, electronic ignition, hardened valve seats so it runs on normal gas.....

Is the dealer ripping people off? No way.

A busy executive or even a housewife is not going to have time to wrench around with an old car.

#59 9 years ago

again, I don't think the original OP was saying people that pick up restored machines for their store or people that pick up poor condition machines and restore them to sell are the problem. meh, I'm draining this thread, far too many people that can't seem to read through the posts before casting aspersions

edit: posted before Vids comments are up, vid I agree. I'd pay a premium for a game if the dealer is reputable and there was something inherent to the value of the machine (ie warranty, restoration work ect ect)

the OP mentioned a few times that the machines were not in top working order. again, only taking his word for it (then again why post here at all if he didn't feel compelled?) but that doesn't feel like a reputable dealer that's providing a service for that additional cost. Then again to use the car analogy there's always used car dealers that buy the beat up used insurance cars that are written off, they do the bare minimum and charge a premium for them in the hopes that their customers don't notice. (Carfax has really helped with this over the years) so this isn't new. Though I'm still puzzled why anyone would defend any dealer that would offer shoddy products at a premium. How is that helping anyone in the hobby?

Personally if I knew someone was looking for a machine, I'd steer them clear of that type of person and put the word out for them then offer them to check out sites like this to get a better idea of what their getting into and make a better decision (I'd do the same thing if someone was going to purchase a hot rod or muscle car)

#60 9 years ago

I know the games in the showroom worked great.

The tech that used to work there is now the arcade conservation engineer at the national museum of play.

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from anubis2night:

the OP mentioned a few times that the machines were not in top working order. again, only taking his word for it (then again why post here at all if he didn't feel compelled?) but that doesn't feel like a reputable dealer that's providing a service for that additional cost.

Even "Classic Car Showrooms" have some lesser vehicles out back behind the building that they have taken in trade.

They are not Showroom quality, but they run, have a warranty and may provide a valuable price point for some customer.

We can't fault them for serving that market too. Financially, not every car is worth restoring.

#62 9 years ago

multiple games had bad dmd's, games that were offered at a very high premium at the prices i wouldn't buy but if i had money burning a whole through my pocket i still would expect perfection... a faulty dmd is an obvious defect and at double prices is something that shouldn't be in a retail store.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

a faulty dmd is an obvious defect and at double prices is something that shouldn't be in a retail store.

Some DMDs are unobtainum.

If the customer is hung up on the DMD not being perfect, it may provide the perfect haggling point to make the sale.

"I'll tell you what. Buy the game, and I'll have my tech replace the DMD this afternoon. No extra charge. How does that sound?"

Bang! Objection overcome, sale made. Dealer looks like hero.

#64 9 years ago

I thought the prices were outrageous too, but I watched the games come and go with regularity. I have still never seen a nicer space shuttle, high speed, or comet

#65 9 years ago

To some people a slightly higher price might also be worth the relationship/service they get.

A couple of examples:

Everyone typically has "their mechanic" for their car. He may not be the cheapest around, but they trust him to never do them wrong.

I get gas at a more expensive station that's even a little out of my way. It's always clean, I like the people inside, and they have a car wash.

If people shopped purely for price in every transaction, Target would be out of business.

XzUSs8O5Oj.jpgXzUSs5Oj.jpg

#66 9 years ago

Does this guy buy within a 200 mile radius or what? I've only bought one pin in the state I reside. The others were bought in Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin (2). I'd say you should be willing to drive a little further to get what you want or ship the pin (as someone else suggested) if you find a good deal.

#67 9 years ago

I can't find cheap pin deals and when I do a flipper beats me to it.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #68 9 years ago

Anyone that goes to a retail store looking for a bargain will be sorely disappointed. People go there for the convenience not the deals.

Many people buy one pin just to have one. They aren't looking for deals as they are not hobbyists or collectors. If you are looking for a deal at a retail store is the last place I'd go.

My suggestion is to get up early, peruse the classifieds, CL, Mr. Pinball, etc before the store owner does and beat him to the cheap deals. Then you can flip them; but be sure not to mark them up so we all can buy them from you cheap.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

multiple games had bad dmd's, games that were offered at a very high premium at the prices i wouldn't buy but if i had money burning a whole through my pocket i still would expect perfection... a faulty dmd is an obvious defect and at double prices is something that shouldn't be in a retail store.

A lot of retailers have games on their sales floor with some issues, or needing to be shopped out. But, they typically shop them out and fix the issues once they have a buyer lined up.

It appears clear that you see the retailer as a villain, and you want everyone else to agree that he is a monster that must be stopped. But the reality is that there are buyers who want to do business with retailers.

#70 9 years ago

Theres hoarders in every area believe me its a shame because most just buy and sell without even touching a pin at least if I get one I completely tear it down and make it beautiful again for a new person in the hobby . Ive did this numerous times after I was done playing the pin and have many happy clients but I cant find any more pins to save my life

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Just keep an eye out for Rob,(Gwaxt72,) or Eric's,(eabundy,) deals. Just save up and wait until they post another.

I recently picked up a Getaway from Rob. Pin was decent/good and price was fair/reasonable. He's a good guy. If anything, Pinmail him to ask if he has a certain pin your're looking for.

#73 9 years ago

Here's the thing. I've paid higher prices before from similar "man cave store" type markets. Why? I couldn't find a game to buy, and shipping a machine if I found one would have made up most of the price difference. I could see and play the game, which is a luxury I wouldn't have gotten if i'd chosen to ship.

Do I do it often? No. Have I been guilty of it? Yes. Sometimes I'm just willing to pay more to be able to go get it myself and get my impatient hands on the machine I want rather than waiting for one to surface. Not all retailers are bad people. Some are, but you find bad people in every profession.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Hoarders don't sell.

Exactly, end of discussion!

#75 9 years ago

Toronto is pretty much tapped out on cheap games from CL, but I've still managed to pick up a couple of decent deals on older machines. You just have to keep an eye out and be ready to go with cash.

The best way to compete with that guy is to beat him to the deals.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

Exactly, end of discussion!

That appears to be the way IPB was....

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

i looked at the space shuttle and he wanted $1,200. this guy bought it for $950 apparently chewed the guy down... i would have considered buying it myself but the playfield needed work and i wasnt willing to pay $1,200.

Pretty sure you are going to offend some Chewish people with that comment.

1 week later
    #78 9 years ago
    Quoted from ad356:

the market here sucks, i dont imagine its too much worse in your own area. there is not much for sale here, dont kid yourself NY all-together sucks. i live here because i have a family

If you are looking for low cost, fixer upper, junk in your area...
    Look no further than the following seller from NJ on ebay. He has a warehouse
    full of crap. Broken, missing parts and water damaged.

ebay.com link: barrywnj

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from chrisram22:

If you are looking for low cost, fixer upper, junk in your area...
    Look no further than the following seller from NJ on ebay. He has a warehouse
    full of crap. Broken, missing parts and water damaged.
    ebay.com link

But maybe give this thread a read before you bid:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-ever-dealt-with-barrywnj-on-ebay

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seems-like-we-have-a-hoarder-in-the-area/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.