(Topic ID: 252837)

Seeking TZ clock problem guru... reward avail.

By Binger

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Binger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi,
    I have posted on other thread and PM’d others with similar issue to no avail.

Heres where I’m at:
    New Ingo clock board.... leds on board reacting properly.
    All game boards gone thru by coin op cauldron
    No other issues. All game switches and optos working.
    At start up clock does nothing.
    In test, all opto boxes indicate closed and clock just runs.
    +/- buttons in test make no change.
    All ribbon cables checked and rechecked... all connectors checked and rechecked. All board leds on.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Another pinsider that had same symptoms indicated that he solved his by disconnecting a connector for a bill taker that was not installed. I dont have that situation. Could really use some ideas.
    Thanks

#2 4 years ago

NONE of the optos open no matter how long the clock test runs? Are you sure the clock board is good? The opto driver board checked out ok too?

there should be SOME activity on the optos, sometimes the minute hand gets bent out of whack and misses the optos, but the hours part (the disc on the back) never does.

#3 4 years ago

So I know you said you checked the harness, but I had a somewhat similar problem. While in test mode, humor me and pull on the clock harness on either side and see if any of the optos open, even for a second. I personally had some shorts that were intermittent.

#4 4 years ago

Check your (clock) motor control board, its located underneath the playfield. I had a similar issue and a failed transistor on the motor control board was the problem.

#5 4 years ago

If wiggling the clock harness does nothing, all optos on the clock are on switch Column 9, by the 8-Driver PCB which is mounted up in the backbox. (Upper right for production, lower left wall for prototype/sample games.)

If all optos are showing as closed, then the problem could be the ribbon cable that feeds the 80driver board, the transistor on the driver board, OR the column wire from the driver board down to the clock.

#6 4 years ago

Update....thanks to all who offered help. I have spent the evening going thru your suggestions.

I pulled, wiggled adjusted and checked harness for continuity.... all seems good.

I switched ribbon cable end for end and replaced with one from working game... no help.

Driver wire seems good connection and continuity.

All voltages correct.

I checked transistors on 8 driver board... all seem fine. Q12 is the one associated with clock i believe.

I will have to dig deeper into motor board tomm.... but i think optos and motor are 2 separate issues.

I may not have put this in first post. When in clock test the dmd reads clock stopped... however it is running.

The clock opto board has an led to indicate power.... its on. It also has led lights to indicate the opto is being tripped. They all register when the beam is broken.

In my research people talk about IC’s latching on or such. That is a bit above my pay grade and knowledge.

I am beginning to think it is some board issue.... since i think all the wiring, voltages, connectors etc are checking out. I will look at that motor board tomm.

Any further thoughts?
    Thank you all

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-tz-clock-problem-guru-reward-avail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.