Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schematic keypad.JPG
Schematic switches.JPG
BackBoxCPU.JPG
SpecialForceSwitchMatrix(2).JPG
Special Force Switch Matrix (1).png
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Oh, and what setting on your meter are you using to test the caps and continuity? I prefer to use Resistance (ohms) vs continuity/diode...If there's a diode in the circuit depending on the orientation of the leads you may get a false negative. And diode mode won't work on testing the caps for short.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Please test for continuity between each combo of pins:
1,11,12,13,14,15...so put meter on pin 1, then 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. Then move to pin 11, and check 1, 12, 13, 14, 15 and so on.
and then 2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10...so put meter on in 2, then 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Then move to pin 3, and check 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and so on.
Make sure you're continuity is working by touching your two meter leads...I know sometimes I'm asking basic stuff, but a non-working meter has tripped us up before on these types of threads.

So this I did yesterday and found no continuity. Please don't worry about asking basic stuff. Nothing is basic to me. I appreciate the help and am learning a tremendous amount from you guys. I did make sure the continuity was working on the meter before I started.

Quoted from robertmee:

If you don't get any continuity, then close the "R" switch and repeat to see if that changes anything.

This I didn't do, but it is a good idea and will try it.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Oh, and what setting on your meter are you using to test the caps and continuity? I prefer to use Resistance (ohms) vs continuity/diode...If there's a diode in the circuit depending on the orientation of the leads you may get a false negative. And diode mode won't work on testing the caps for short.

So to test the caps I was going to use resistance.

To test continuity, I was using the setting with the audible indicator as it was too difficult for me to touch the leads on the connector and look at the meter at the same time. If this could give me a false negative depending upon the orientation of the leads on the meter, then maybe I didn't do this right. But I would think putting it on the resistance setting would do the same thing. Perhaps I should run through the test twice, switching the orientation of the leads between the two rounds? What do you think?

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Is the diagnostic keypad hooked up in your game? It shares a lot of the same switches as those in the game. I'm not sure how it is wired up, but maybe it could be the culprit?

Hey, winteriscoming, I took another look at the schematics, but I don't see the connection. The keypad looks like it is on a different matrix and goes to a different place on the board than the switches in the matrix I'm dealing with. Am I missing something? Thanks.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hey, winteriscoming, I took another look at the schematics, but I don't see the connection. The keypad looks like it is on a different matrix and goes to a different place on the board than the switches in the matrix I'm dealing with. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I'm not sure how it ends up getting wired into the game, but I'm pretty sure it shares at least some switches. Like if you were playing a game and pulled out that kepad and started hitting buttons, some in-game switches would register.

Might be worth ruling out the keypad by going in to switch diagnostics, unplugging the keypad and seeing if your original issue is still there.

#56 8 years ago

I just confirmed on my keypad that B, 4, 5, and 6 are registered as K, C, O, and R.

I haven't looked up schematics, but if the game has the keypad as a separate matrix, that may be the matrix with your issue.

#57 8 years ago

Ok, I have a feeling this might be important, but I don't know what I'm looking at. I found this other schematic in the manual. Note the upper right and how Bomb O and Rocket O and Bomb B and Rocket R are next to each other. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at and does it shed any light?

Schematic switches.JPGSchematic switches.JPG

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I just confirmed on my keypad that B, 4, 5, and 6 are registered as K, C, O, and R.
I haven't looked up schematics, but if the game has the keypad as a separate matrix, that may be the matrix with your issue.

You're absolutely right. Mine too. I pressed 5 on the keypad, and it registered as rocket O. However, it registered as rocket O and only rocket O. I then pressed actual rocket O, and it registered rocket O and bomb O. I then pressed 5 on the key pad and rocket O at the same time, and it registered only rocket O. I also unplugged the key pad and pressed rocket O, but I sill had the same problem. For what its worth, here is the keypad schematic.

Schematic keypad.JPGSchematic keypad.JPG

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

You're absolutely right. Mine too. I pressed 5 on the keypad, and it registered as rocket O. However, it registered as rocket O and only rocket O. I then pressed actual rocket O, and it registered rocket O and bomb O. I then pressed 5 on the key pad and rocket O at the same time, and it registered only rocket O. I also unplugged the key pad and pressed rocket O, but I sill had the same problem. For what its worth, here is the keypad schematic.
Schematic keypad.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

That's important in the sense that it confirms that your board should be ok and the short lies somewhere in the PF

#60 8 years ago

I just started going through and testing the caps, and I have a question before I continue. My multimeter is set to resistance. Some of the caps start low and quickly max out (go to infinity) the resistance reading on the multimeter. Some of the caps peak at a maximum resistance of 4 mega ohms. Should I consider 4 mega ohms as being sufficiently high as to indicate a functioning cap, or is there something wrong?

Do I need to get the leads of on the multimeter right on the legs of the cap, or is it sufficient if they touch the lugs that the caps are soldered to since with an open switch, the cap should be the only connection between the two points?

#61 8 years ago

As long as the switch is absolutely open, then using anywhere the cap connects is fine. 4 Mohms should be fine as long as the resistance starts low and moves towards infinity/high ohms.

#62 8 years ago

Big clue everyone!!!

I was doing the switch test again after checking some things, and I noticed that when I held the rocket "O" target only that target registered. I then moved to try something else, and rocket "O", bomb "O" and some other switches in that send row registered. I moved again and only rocket "O" registered. What could it be about my movement, I wondered. [Pause for suspenseful build up. . . .]

I noticed that every time more than one switch registered, I was leaning on the metal side rail of the pinball machine. Every time I took my arm off the metal side rail, only one switch (the proper switch) registered. I repeated this enough times to be sure.

So, I need your help again. Does this mean I have a short to ground? If so, how do I go about finding it? Or, does it mean something else? Perhaps I just need to play with rubber gloves from now on . . . .

#63 8 years ago

Are there any metal ramps or habitrails in this game? I had a switch that was touching a habitrail once. Sometimes the habitrail would vibrate enough to touch the metal hinge bolt in the cabinet that was grounded. The metal habitrails acted as a ground path to the switch and caused all sorts of switch matrix issues.

So it would appear you've got a switch leg somewhere touching a ground path...something metal or ground itself.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Are there any metal ramps or habitrails in this game? I had a switch that was touching a habitrail once. Sometimes the habitrail would vibrate enough to touch the metal hinge bolt in the cabinet that was grounded. The metal habitrails acted as a ground path to the switch and caused all sorts of switch matrix issues.
So it would appear you've got a switch leg somewhere touching a ground path...something metal or ground itself.

No metal ramps or habitrails. I'll spend my next round of free time checking all of the switches for something along the lines of what you describe.

I did check all of the caps, and they were fine. But that may be a moot point now.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Exactly this^^^

But just in case, make sure the cabinet has a good ground. In the situation above you would be providing a path to ground. The opposite possibility is that the cabinet ground is floating/shorted to something besides ground and you are injecting a signal into the switch matrix.

Also be aware that based on this info when we tested whether the board was bad by jumpering that was an invalid test. I still think Robert is right on, but we now know that we did not eliminate any possible board issues.

I'm just thinking out loud.

#66 8 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the continual follow-up.

I have more clues based on some tests I ran after reading your comments. First, I measured resistance between the cabinet side rail and the ground braid throughout the machine. In all cases, there was continuity, so the cabinet appears grounded. Then I measured resistance between various switches and the cabinet side rail. Again, in all cases continuity. That seems wrong. Finally, I removed CJ4 and measured resistance between the switches and the cabinet side rail. No continuity that time. I plugged CJ4 back into the board and measured resistance again between the switches and the cabinet side rail. Continuity again.

This seems bad to me. How do I interpret this? Are we back to this being a board issue?

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Then I measured resistance between various switches and the cabinet side rail. Again, in all cases continuity. That seems wrong.

It is.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Finally, I removed CJ4 and measured resistance between the switches and the cabinet side rail. No continuity that time.

Remove CJ4 and check continuity from the board side of the connector to ground. Check all send and receive lines.

#68 8 years ago

I'm betting a switch strobe trace is shorted to ground behind the MPU.

#69 8 years ago

There is connectivity between every pin for CJ4 on the board side and the ground braid for the cabinet. I also found the ground braid that goes to the board. It appears to be separate from the cabinet braid. I checked connectivity between the board ground and the cabinet ground and found connectivity.

I haven't removed the board yet. I can, but would like to know what I should be looking for. Please feel free to talk in very simplistic terms to me. Thanks!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

There is connectivity between every pin for CJ4 on the board side and the ground braid for the cabinet. I also found the ground braid that goes to the board. It appears to be separate from the cabinet braid. I checked connectivity between the board ground and the cabinet ground and found connectivity.
I haven't removed the board yet. I can, but would like to know what I should be looking for. Please feel free to talk in very simplistic terms to me. Thanks!

When you say connectivity do you mean dead short? Or are you reading some resistance at all? Dead short is not good...but you may have eventual continuity through various logic chips and pull up resistors to ground. I can't imagine every pin is dead shorted...matrix wouldn't work at all.

#71 8 years ago

So, I cracked open the schematics on IPDB....They're so small and fuzzy it's hard to read, but it does look like that all the switch returns go through a resistor and then a capacitor to ground. All the switch strobes are through two resistors to ground. So depending on how you are measuring with your meter, you would be getting continuity to ground. Just not a dead short to ground which would be a problem.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Also be aware that based on this info when we tested whether the board was bad by jumpering that was an invalid test.

Not following you here...I'm still thinking nothing is wrong with the board. Everything is pointing to a grounded switch in the playfield. If the board passed the jumper tests, but doesn't with CJ4 connected, and now its repeatable by touching ground and the switch with his body, to me that's a PF problem.

I assume during testing you are deflecting the leaf switch with your fingers while touching the side rail? That's grounding the switch through your body. Wear some rubber gloves and see if that makes a difference.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

When you say connectivity do you mean dead short? Or are you reading some resistance at all? Dead short is not good...but you may have eventual continuity through various logic chips and pull up resistors to ground. I can't imagine every pin is dead shorted...matrix wouldn't work at all.

There was definitely resistance. Not a dead short if that means no resistance.

Quoted from robertmee:

I assume during testing you are deflecting the leaf switch with your fingers while touching the side rail? That's grounding the switch through your body. Wear some rubber gloves and see if that makes a difference.

I wasn't touching the leaf switch with my fingers, just the tip of the probe on my multimeter. The other probe was on the cabinet rail. I had resistance but connectivity with CJ4 plugged in. Infinite resistance, no connectivity, with CJ4 unplugged.

Next steps? I'm happy to take off the board but would like to know what to look out for. Thanks again everyone.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Not following you here...I'm still thinking nothing is wrong with the board.

If the problem relates to current flowing through his body to ground, that would not likely have occurred unless when doing the CPU jumper test he was touching the paper clip (or whatever the OP ended up using) and also touching ground. In fact this would be a good test, by the way. I don't mean to sidetrack things, just wanted to mention that our earlier thought may have been invalid based on the additional info.

I'm off on the road for a few days, then at a wedding and then back on the road, so I'll leave it in Robert's very capable hands. I'll try to check in, but no promises.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

If the problem relates to current flowing through his body to ground, that would not likely have occurred unless when doing the CPU jumper test he was touching the paper clip (or whatever the OP ended up using) and also touching ground. In fact this would be a good test, by the way.

Hmmm. I think that might require me to have three hands . . . .

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

There was definitely resistance. Not a dead short if that means no resistance.

I wasn't touching the leaf switch with my fingers, just the tip of the probe on my multimeter. The other probe was on the cabinet rail. I had resistance but connectivity with CJ4 plugged in. Infinite resistance, no connectivity, with CJ4 unplugged.
Next steps? I'm happy to take off the board but would like to know what to look out for. Thanks again everyone.

No I meant when you were testing playfield switches by closing them. Were you leaning over the side rail and closing the leafs with your fingers?

Can we reset a minute so we know where we are...closing playfield switches isolated from the side rails either with your gloved finger and a pencil or something....what multiple switch problems are you having now? Is it just the R switch now and no longer the O switch etc.

#77 8 years ago

Oh, I see. I was pushing on the targets with my finger. The targets are plastic, but tomorrow I'll mess around some more and push them closed with a plastic rod to ensure there is no connection there.

#78 8 years ago

The plastic targets often are riveted to leafs so if pushing rivet with your finger you could have been shorting to ground.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

The plastic targets often are riveted to leafs so if pushing rivet with your finger you could have been shorting to ground.

Yep, they do have a rivet in the center. That was probably it. I'll report back after trying again.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I'm off on the road for a few days, then at a wedding and then back on the road, so I'll leave it in Robert's very capable hands. I'll try to check in, but no promises.

Safe travels. Both you and Robert, as well as the others who have chimed in, have been great. My guess is that I'm still at this when you get back as I may only have a few minutes each night or every couple of nights to test things during the work week.

Quoted from robertmee:

Can we reset a minute so we know where we are...closing playfield switches isolated from the side rails either with your gloved finger and a pencil or something....what multiple switch problems are you having now? Is it just the R switch now and no longer the O switch etc.

Robert, once I have a chance to run this test, I'll try to lay out a summary of what is happening and what I've tried.

#81 8 years ago

So, I did some more testing tonight, and here is a summary of where we are:

**The problem lies with multiple switches registering in a single send row. It is never switches in a different send row. So, rocket "R" can cause it or rocket "O" can cause it, or some other switch in another row. The key is there needs to be a connection to the ground. When I was testing in switch test mode, my finger on the metal rivet and my arm on the rail created this connection. When I tested in game, me pushing the metal ball into the target with my hand on the rail also created the connection. If I push a switch without having my hand on the metal rail, or push a switch with a non-conductive plastic rod, then only that switch registers, no others. (Interestingly, the problem seems worse / more pronounced when I am testing in an actual game instead of switch test mode, but that could be my imagination.)

**If I unplug CJ4 and test resistance of the board pins to ground, I get around 50 k ohms.

**If I unplug CJ4 and test resistance of a switch lug to ground, there is no continuity.

**If I plug in CJ4 and test resistance of a switch lug to ground, I get continuity with a resistance of about 50 k ohms.

**I decided to try to play an actual game since it had been a while since I had done anything but tests. (This is where it gets embarrassing.) The game, I think, functioned normally. Even though my hands were on the rails near the flipper buttons, I didn't notice any weird switches going off. This is probably because my body wasn't making a direct connection between the switch and ground. The embarrassing part is that I can't remember the issue I was having that caused me to do the switch tests in the first place. I know it was something along the lines of a switch misfiring, but I can't remember exactly what.

I don't want to leave this alone, because it seems like everyone agrees that this is not normal behavior for a pin. So, I guess the question is where is the short -- on the board, on the playfield? What should I do to find it or to test further.

I hope this was a good summary. Let me know what else you would like to know.

#82 8 years ago

It is quite normal...you are grounding out each switch row which causes the multiple issues. It would be no different than taking a wire and holding it to ground and touching a switch connection. The problem was exasperated because you are dealing with leaf switches that are conductive...had you been pushing on micro switches you'd have never seen the issue. So in short nothing is wrong with your game. Put the glass on and enjoy some pinball.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It is quite normal...you are grounding out each switch row which causes the multiple issues. It would be no different than taking a wire and holding it to ground and touching a switch connection. The problem was exasperated because you are dealing with leaf switches that are conductive...had you been pushing on micro switches you'd have never seen the issue. So in short nothing is wrong with your game. Put the glass on and enjoy some pinball.

Well, I'm really embarrassed if that is the case. So, measuring some connectivity between a single switch lug and ground is normal? I thought Terry said that was wrong. I'll play a bunch of normal games to see if any problems occur, or if the issue I experienced way back when reoccurs.

If everything is normal, I feel really guilty. That said, you guys have been great! If nothing else, I learned a tremendous amount from both of you and am now much more skilled with these things.

I'll report back after getting a bunch of games in to just let you know how this is going.

#84 8 years ago

A short is bad. Some continuity is normal since youre reading through other components. Sorry if i wasnt clear earlier. Roberts right--no problem. Dont worry about it. You, and anybody following along, now better understand the switch matrix.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

A short is bad. Some continuity is normal since youre reading through other components. Sorry if i wasnt clear earlier. Roberts right--no problem. Dont worry about it. You, and anybody following along, now better understand the switch matrix.

Thanks for being so understanding.

For my own edification, what exactly is happening? The current is coming in through the send row and down the receive column corresponding to the switch, so that the switch registers. The current is also coming down the send row, going through me, and into ground. Why does that then register some of the other switches in the send row? Somehow the current going through me is hitting some of the other receivers in the receive column?

I'm a very visual person, but I'm not sure I get it by looking at the matrix.

#86 8 years ago

All of the rows are held high. The columns are then sequentially pulled low. If a switch is closed then the column pulls the row low. When you touch the switch yow are providing a path to ground which pulls the row low. Since your finger does not provide a pulsed signal the cpu thinks multiple switches are closed.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

All of the rows are held high. The columns are then sequentially pulled low. If a switch is closed then the column pulls the row low. When you touch the switch yow are providing a path to ground which pulls the row low. Since your finger does not provide a pulsed signal the cpu thinks multiple switches are closed.

I've now played a few games and determined that the pin is playing fine. So whatever the issue was that made me check the switch matrix in the first place, it may have just been a weird one time thing. The pin is old, and sometimes things happen. So, I guess I was really creating the problem when I tested the matrix by closing the switches with my finger.

If I can indulge your patience for a bit longer, I think it would really help me and any other newbies following this thread understand what is going on. So, I'm trying to follow what you are saying above, Terry. I get the basic idea of the voltage at each column and row being kept high. The machine then pulses the columns low one by one. If a switch is closed, what do you mean by pull the row low? How does that physically take place, and what does the ground have to do with it? Also, I'm not really sure how a column can pull anything with a blocking diode in the way, but I'm clearly missing something. Perhaps "pull" is just a term of art.

Also, if I interject myself by touching the switch and ground what do you mean by pull the row low? Somehow connecting something held high to ground makes that row go low? I kind of get that, but I'm having trouble seeing how it then affects the whole column. Perhaps it is how the CPU is programmed to interpret things?

Anyway, if you have time (obviously no rush), it would be great to close this thread out with a bit more explanation. I read your webpage on the subject and found it very informative, but there is still some basic concept that I'm missing. I'm feeling dumb, and I hate that. Thanks again!

#88 8 years ago

simplify the switch matrix to 1 by 1. You have a strobe line and a return line. Low is 0VDC, high is 5VDC. The normal state of both the strobe and the return is +5VDC. These "lines" have pull-up resistors that keep them at the known state of +5VDC. When the processor "pulls" the strobe line low. It looks to see if the return line has also been pulled low via the switch. When you are grounded and touching the switch, you are pulling the return line low.

Now for a non-1x1 matrix to work correctly, you need diodes on all the switches or the strobe's "low" will be pulling down other return lines whenever a switch is down. Thus resulting in false positives.

#89 8 years ago

I think I know why I'm being a bit slow in getting what is going on. I was imagining the switch matrix as a simple tool where current is sent down a column one by one and the rows are read to see if any switches are closed that correspond to the column that is pulsed. While that simplistic idea is accurate in general terms, there appears to be a lot more going on. I just googled pull up resistors, for instance, and found a whole other layer of complexity behind this that I wasn't aware of. I'm making my way through some basic electronics texts but haven't gotten to that level yet. I'm a fairly scientific person, but also need to imagine what is going on (like visualize the electrons traveling along wires, etc.). I haven't been able to get my head around how the ground, pull up resistor and switch matrix all work together yet. I'll keep working on it and studying up. Once I think I get it, I'll post a simplified explanation and let you guys tell me if I got it right. In the meantime, thanks again for all of the feedback!

#90 8 years ago

Continuity = Zero resistance = Zero ohms.

Same as a short, but the term "short" indicates continuity where there should not be.

If you are measuring 50kohms, that is not continuity. That is just the resistance of the circuit.

Anyway, I hope you can solve your problem. Switch matrix problems can be a beast sometimes.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Continuity = Zero resistance = Zero ohms.
Same as a short, but the term "short" indicates continuity where there should not be.
If you are measuring 50kohms, that is not continuity. That is just the resistance of the circuit.
Anyway, I hope you can solve your problem. Switch matrix problems can be a beast sometimes.

That's not accurate at all. Continuity in electrical terms is a complete circuit...In most cases there will be resistance. Continuity infers that there is current flow meaning there is a return path and no open circuit. Continuity in no way refers to zero resistance. That is reserved for the term short.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-electrical-continuity.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_test

#92 8 years ago

Well, in the real world that is how the term is used!

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Well, in the real world that is how the term is used!

I'm afraid not....I've been an electrical engineer in the real world for 26 years and running my own systems integration firm for 15 years. I can assure you in the real world continuity is not referred to as zero ohms or a short. I will concede that many have used the terms interchangeably but it's not accurate.

Here's a better link that clears up some of the confusion as to why some might think continuity refers to zero resistance only.

http://www.siber-sonic.com/electronics/ContTestRead.html

If you break it down to it's simplest terms the definition of "Continuity" means continuous...from A to B. Well, A to B doesn't have to be just a wire...which btw is not zero resistance either. In fact, zero resistance is a misnomer as all materials that conduct electricity have some resistance. A to B can be made up of wires, resistant loads, capacitance loads, inductive loads, etc. If I have a battery to a light bulb and back I have continuity...I do not have a short.

#94 8 years ago

Bullshit. I'm a service technician for 30 years and continuity is what you read when you check a wiring harness from one end to the other. THAT is zero ohms, not a short. Sorry to threadjack. Thread drained before mister wise ass engineer pisses me off anymore!

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Bullshit. I'm a service technician for 30 years and continuity is what you read when you check a wiring harness from one end to the other. THAT is zero ohms, not a short. Sorry to threadjack. Thread drained before mister wise ass engineer pisses me off anymore!

You do realize that your wiring harness is NOT ZERO OHMS. EVERY wire has resistance. I wasn't attacking you or calling you names, just educating...but that's where you went with this, so I'm done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-switch-matrix-experts-weird-things-happening/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.