Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0848 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    kwikweld.jpg (resized).png
    c-clamp.jpg (resized).png
    IMG_0768 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

You Can make your own tool for under $20 and by some rivets from Hanson Rivets in California. Gonna cost you about $40 in the long run but at least you'll be able to do them on all your games.

You need 4 things
    1) C-clamp (find one that is light weight but with a wide gap. (so you can get to rivets within wide reach places)
    2) kwikweld (to solder the die and clamp together)
    3) Tubular Rivets (http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/tubular-rivets/)
    4) Squeezer Dies (this is what you weld to the C clamp) (http://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/riveting-accessories/riveting-squeezer-dies-2/)

The only thing left to do is squeeze the damn thing into place. Works like a charm.

c-clamp.jpg (resized).pngc-clamp.jpg (resized).png
    kwikweld.jpg (resized).pngkwikweld.jpg (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

flashinstinct GREAT post! Are there any "standard" sizes that we should order (in terms of squeezer dies) if we want to make several of these and have them on hand?
    The number of sizes on the menu is high, so wondering if your experience indicates that pinball applications only require X number of sizes to cover 90% of our jobs...
    Thanks!

There are standard sizes for the rivet heads but found it useful to get different lengths. The body of the rivet is 1/8" the head If the rivet is in a prominent place I used a more polished aluminium rivet. I'm not holding the bags in front of me right now but if you call them they can tell you the lengths and shape of the heads for these.

My last order from Hansen was this

C1-7-ST 5056 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS20450-C8-AD8 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS16535-156
    MS20450-C8-AD10 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS16535-158
    MS20450-C8-16 STEEL RIVET
    MS16535-124
    ABUP-4 ALUMINUM BACK-UP WASHER

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Why not just eliminate the rivets and use #8 screws and nylock nuts, never have to worry again.

Most places just don't have the space and the shaped hole in the plastic prevents the screw from being flush to the surface.

#29 6 years ago

They are two different pieces. One is hallow to accepted the dome shape of the rivet and the other has a hallow end with a point in the middle to the the shaft of the rivet on itself

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

It looks like the CA2004-03 is the piece needed for the tail then? What part number do I need to order for the head?

I ordered a long time ago canr remember but the folks at hanson can help you out

2 weeks later
    #48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

flashinstinct I think your C clamp idea looks awesome, but I don't understand how you mounted the dies. Every one of the squeezer dies I've seen has little nub on the end that seems to fit into some kind of rivet tool (no idea what that is). In your picture, it actually looks like you flush mounted the one on the bottom? Did you drill a hole in the clamp?

Metal saw, a vice and a bench grinder are your friend. After i cut the pieces flush i put a rivet between the dies and squeeze the clamp slightly to make sure both pieces were aligned. Then i added the kwikweld to the base and the top. Let them dry for a full day....no problems since then. Someone sells these things online somewhere but i just made my own.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-riveting-service?tu=flashinstinct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.