Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0848 (resized).PNG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    kwikweld.jpg (resized).png
    c-clamp.jpg (resized).png
    IMG_0768 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hello,

Seeking the services of a fellow pinsider to rivet the IJ Lite Jackpot plastic. Not sure if there's anyone providing this kind of service but willing to pay to have this plastic riveted. Let me know, Thanks!

IMG_0768 (resized).JPGIMG_0768 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Where are you? Someone local should be able to help.

#3 6 years ago

Texas but nobody close to me. I would have to mail it out. Not a lot of people have the riveting press needed tho. Thanks

#4 6 years ago

No need for a rivet press. Just buy a rivet gun for 10-15$

#5 6 years ago

I'm in Sugar Land

#6 6 years ago

Rivet gun won't do it. Not factory rivets. I could do it if you ship it to me.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Rivet gun won't do it. Not factory rivets. I could do it if you ship it to me.

Thanks! Sending PM!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I'm in Sugar Land

I visit Houston quite often. Got family there

#10 6 years ago

I tried this once and it made me suicidal. It also made me just want to cough up the money to get Pinrestore's riveting press and do my riveting the proper way rather than trying to save a buck.

I'll rivet the guy's plastic. It's the least I can do for a community that has always helped me.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I tried this once and it made me suicidal. It also made me just want to cough up the money to get Pinrestore's riveting press and do my riveting the proper way rather than trying to save a buck.
    I'll rivet the guy's plastic. It's the least I can do for a community that has always helped me.

Good on you B!

#12 6 years ago

You Can make your own tool for under $20 and by some rivets from Hanson Rivets in California. Gonna cost you about $40 in the long run but at least you'll be able to do them on all your games.

You need 4 things
    1) C-clamp (find one that is light weight but with a wide gap. (so you can get to rivets within wide reach places)
    2) kwikweld (to solder the die and clamp together)
    3) Tubular Rivets (http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/tubular-rivets/)
    4) Squeezer Dies (this is what you weld to the C clamp) (http://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/riveting-accessories/riveting-squeezer-dies-2/)

The only thing left to do is squeeze the damn thing into place. Works like a charm.

c-clamp.jpg (resized).pngc-clamp.jpg (resized).png
    kwikweld.jpg (resized).pngkwikweld.jpg (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

You Can make your own tool for under $20 and by some rivets from Hanson Rivets in California. Gonna cost you about $40 in the long run but at least you'll be able to do them on all your games.
    You need 4 things
    1) C-clamp (find one that is light weight but with a wide gap. (so you can get to rivets within wide reach places)
    4) Squeezer Dies (this is what you weld to the C clamp) (http://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/riveting-accessories/riveting-squeezer-dies-2/)
    The only thing left to do is squeeze the damn thing into place. Works like a charm.

Nice idea! I'll look into this or just buying the rivet press in the future. IJ is my first complete restore, so I'm pretty much learning things as I go. IJ Plastic is being sent to Mr. Beelzeboob today. I really appreciate all the advise and help provided by all. This is what makes this community so great

#14 6 years ago

I use my c-clamp press way more than my arbor press from pinrestore.

#15 6 years ago

flashinstinct GREAT post! Are there any "standard" sizes that we should order (in terms of squeezer dies) if we want to make several of these and have them on hand?

The number of sizes on the menu is high, so wondering if your experience indicates that pinball applications only require X number of sizes to cover 90% of our jobs...

Thanks!

#16 6 years ago

If you ship it to me I could do it also. I have the rivets and tool.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

If you ship it to me I could do it also. I have the rivets and tool.

Thanks for the offer! That's very nice of you.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I visit Houston quite often. Got family there

Hi,

I was offering the press and rivets I have to help. Do not know where you are in Texas, guess not close by. As Boob has offered his press all is good.

Note; some of the ideas sound interesting except for the hammer idea and conventional rivets. The press squeezes the rivet so the forces are applied to the rivet and deforming the open end as intended and is as gentle as possible to the plastic. I do use use a rivet tool and tool for for non plastic metal to metal applications but mostly the press is the better alternative.

#19 6 years ago

Why not just eliminate the rivets and use #8 screws and nylock nuts, never have to worry again.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

flashinstinct GREAT post! Are there any "standard" sizes that we should order (in terms of squeezer dies) if we want to make several of these and have them on hand?
    The number of sizes on the menu is high, so wondering if your experience indicates that pinball applications only require X number of sizes to cover 90% of our jobs...
    Thanks!

There are standard sizes for the rivet heads but found it useful to get different lengths. The body of the rivet is 1/8" the head If the rivet is in a prominent place I used a more polished aluminium rivet. I'm not holding the bags in front of me right now but if you call them they can tell you the lengths and shape of the heads for these.

My last order from Hansen was this

C1-7-ST 5056 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS20450-C8-AD8 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS16535-156
    MS20450-C8-AD10 ALUMINUM RIVET
    MS16535-158
    MS20450-C8-16 STEEL RIVET
    MS16535-124
    ABUP-4 ALUMINUM BACK-UP WASHER

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

Why not just eliminate the rivets and use #8 screws and nylock nuts, never have to worry again.

Most places just don't have the space and the shaped hole in the plastic prevents the screw from being flush to the surface.

#22 6 years ago

Hi,
    I was offering the press and rivets I have to help. Do not know where you are in Texas, guess not close by. As Boob has offered his press all is good.
    Note; some of the ideas sound interesting except for the hammer idea and conventional rivets. The press squeezes the rivet so the forces are applied to the rivet and deforming the open end as intended and is as gentle as possible to the plastic. I do use use a rivet tool and tool for for non plastic metal to metal applications but mostly the press is the better alternative.

Hi!

Thanks for the offer! I will try what flash suggested and other methods with the old IJ plastic to see what works best.

Flash: Thanks for all the info on rivet sizes!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hi!
    Thanks for the offer! I will try what flash suggested and other methods with the old IJ plastic to see what works best.
    Flash: Thanks for all the info on rivet sizes!

All good but Hanson I believe need a min order of 100 rivets per size. PBR has all the rivet sizes we need and sells by the unit. For the length measure the thickness of the plastic and the metal frame add a 1/16" max and you got the length. For the diameter it is either 1/8" or 3/32". Drill out the old rivets and see which diameter it is. Lastly use the copper color rivets the same as what your picture indicates.

Anyway as Boob is going to do it this message is really for him if he is drinking.

#24 6 years ago

All good but Hanson I believe need a min order of 100 rivets per size. PBR has all the rivet sizes we need and sells by the unit. For the length measure the thickness of the plastic and the metal frame add a 1/16" max and you got the length. For the diameter it is either 1/8" or 3/32". Drill out the old rivets and see which diameter it is. Lastly use the copper color rivets the same as what your picture indicates.
    Anyway as Boob is going to do it this message is really for him if he is drinking.

I don't drink; I'm naturally stupid enough.

I have the whole assortment pack of rivet sizes from Pinrestore. All is good...

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

I think I have used #4 screws and locknuts in place of rivets and they look great and hold fine.
    I doubt I would do it on a ramp flap, but a general plastic mount should be no problem.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

I rather go for the factory look. This plastic is very visible.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I think I have used #4 screws and locknuts in place of rivets and they look great and hold fine.

same here and if you have need to access or replace the part it's attached to it's easy.

This is what I use for ramp flaps:

http://tubularrivetclincher.yolasite.com/

#28 6 years ago

You need 4 things

It looks like a Hanson CA2004-03 would work for Oval/Truss head 1/8. Do you order two of these to put on the C clamp? One end for the head and the other for the tail?

#29 6 years ago

They are two different pieces. One is hallow to accepted the dome shape of the rivet and the other has a hallow end with a point in the middle to the the shaft of the rivet on itself

#30 6 years ago

Im in Houston Texas. If you want to get it to me Ill do it for you. I have a press and rivets. I wont even charge you to do it.

#31 6 years ago

They are two different pieces. One is hallow to accepted the dome shape of the rivet and the other has a hallow end with a point in the middle to the the shaft of the rivet on itself

It looks like the CA2004-03 is the piece needed for the tail then? What part number do I need to order for the head?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Same here

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

It looks like the CA2004-03 is the piece needed for the tail then? What part number do I need to order for the head?

I ordered a long time ago canr remember but the folks at hanson can help you out

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Im in Houston Texas. If you want to get it to me Ill do it for you. I have a press and rivets. I wont even charge you to do it.

Thanks man! I really appreciate that!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks man! I really appreciate that!

If you need an addy to send it let me know.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

If you need an addy to send it let me know.

Thank you sir! Mr. B was nice enough to offer his help and he is taking care of it for me. The plastic shipped today but now I know you are in Houston. I visit Houston several times a year. Thanks!

#37 6 years ago

Everyone likes the Boob more than me. Glad you got it done.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Lol. Thanks! Btw, how was your Vegas trip? My Vegas trip is fast approaching.

#39 6 years ago

It was fun. I don't really gamble that much because I always lose and I'm a cheapskate. The shows are awesome and there are so many. Lots of comedians and bands. Hell The Who was there last night or tonight. The Circus du Solei O was just amazing. There are some great places to eat but they are not cheap. Well some are but most will cost you a Benjamin each especially if you drink. You will enjoy it. Watch out for the TSA

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

It was fun. I don't really gamble that much because I always lose and I'm a cheapskate. The shows are awesome and there are so many. Lots of comedians and bands. Hell The Who was there last night or tonight. The Circus du Solei O was just amazing. There are some great places to eat but they are not cheap. Well some are but most will cost you a Benjamin each especially if you drink. You will enjoy it. Watch out for the TSA

Lol! I will keep that in mind! Thanks!

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Not my wife.

1 week later
    #42 6 years ago

Just got the plastic back from Mr. B today. The Plastic and rivets look great! Thanks!!!!!

IMG_0848 (resized).PNGIMG_0848 (resized).PNG

#43 6 years ago

I will say...This thread has motivated me to buy a rivit press.

#44 6 years ago

OP, I'm glad you're taken care of.

Folks wondering about rivet tools:

If you know a gunsmith locally, borrow (or ask them to do it) their AR swivel staking tool.

I bought one years ago for about $20 and it works great for these.

#45 6 years ago

Quoted from Majdi:OP, I'm glad you're taken care of.
    Folks wondering about rivet tools:
    If you know a gunsmith locally, borrow (or ask them to do it) their AR swivel staking tool.
    I bought one years ago for about $20 and it works great for these.

Thanks!

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yeah, but to be fair, who doesn't like boobs?

1 week later
    #47 6 years ago

flashinstinct I think your C clamp idea looks awesome, but I don't understand how you mounted the dies. Every one of the squeezer dies I've seen has little nub on the end that seems to fit into some kind of rivet tool (no idea what that is). In your picture, it actually looks like you flush mounted the one on the bottom? Did you drill a hole in the clamp?

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

flashinstinct I think your C clamp idea looks awesome, but I don't understand how you mounted the dies. Every one of the squeezer dies I've seen has little nub on the end that seems to fit into some kind of rivet tool (no idea what that is). In your picture, it actually looks like you flush mounted the one on the bottom? Did you drill a hole in the clamp?

Metal saw, a vice and a bench grinder are your friend. After i cut the pieces flush i put a rivet between the dies and squeeze the clamp slightly to make sure both pieces were aligned. Then i added the kwikweld to the base and the top. Let them dry for a full day....no problems since then. Someone sells these things online somewhere but i just made my own.

#49 6 years ago

Metal saw, a vice and a bench grinder are your friend. After i cut the pieces flush i put a rivet between the dies and squeeze the clamp slightly to make sure both pieces were aligned. Then i added the kwikweld to the base and the top. Let them dry for a full day....no problems since then. Someone sells these things online somewhere but i just made my own.

The thing I don't understand is why someone doesn't sell a friggen tool that is exactly this, but allows you to change the die. This is insanely stupid!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-riveting-service and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.