Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by Calipindave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TheBox (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0830204B-B639-45B2-8B55-B1014F162B3B (resized).jpeg
2DEF4C22-A88E-4915-B26D-DF7060CFD6C7 (resized).jpeg

#1 84 days ago

Hi guys.

I am repinning some connectors. I placed an order with GPE a few weeks ago and bought both regular trifurcon crimp contacts (0.156) and “High Current” which I figured I would use for , well, high current loads.

I used the trifurcons for some and they work great. I have a ratcheting crimp tool and they are easy

Today I tried the high current ones and they crimp well and go in the connector fine, but I find they feel a bit “loose” on the pins. I tried just one to get a feel of this against trifurcon and it doesn’t feel like it grabs as well.

Is this “normal”. Here are a few pics of the pins and a crimp I did. Am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

Dave

2DEF4C22-A88E-4915-B26D-DF7060CFD6C7 (resized).jpeg0830204B-B639-45B2-8B55-B1014F162B3B (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpg
#2 84 days ago

Are you trying them within the housing? Or just trying them loosely on the wire (as shown in bottom photo) to see how they fit?

It is important to know that the 'box' on this contact does not fit over the pin - the box holds the contact in the correct place within the housing. It is actually the two serrated wings that fit over the contact and actually hold them fairly tight. For me - much tighter than the trifurcon style.

#3 84 days ago

Thank you Ed.

First off I want to say thank you for what you do for the community and that this post is not a poke at all at the quality of the product or your service. Both are fantastic.

I tried the pin in the housing and out. Out of the housing it is looser. In the housing you feel it go over the pin but it feels a bit sloppy. I would expect to go over with a bit of resistance and stay locked on. Maybe sloppy is the wrong term. It just feels like it slips over easier then expected. Maybe this is due in part to the fact that I am trying one pin on the end of the connector when I am normally used to pushing on a connector with multiple pins?

I think my crimp looks good?

Dave

#4 84 days ago

Deleted

#5 84 days ago

I just did a side by side between the two. For me - the high current has a bit harder insertion and extraction forces. Not a lot tighter (as I mentioned above) but enough to notice.

As far as I can tell - the crimps look ok (the wire could have been trimmed shorter but that doesn't affect insertion/extraction force as the extending wire sits to the side of the contact area). I was thinking maybe the two wings had been spread out. But if I remember correctly, the connector body would force them back into alignment.

Something else seems to be at play here. Maybe the headers on your machine are slightly smaller than standard Molex/Pancon/AMP headers??
Molex 0.156" headers - the posts are supposed to be 0.045" (1.14mm) square.
Pancon's were often used on Williams boards and these are same as Molex at 0.045".
AMP also had the same size as Molex and Pancon - so that covers the main sources.

Take a look at the attached image (from yours). I circled the pin 'retainer'. When inserted into the plug and the plug is installed on the pins, this retainer holds the top of the pin back towards the body of the pin and keeps the pin within the middle of the serrated edges. Retainer in photo looks intact. Looking at the wings when zoomed in, they do look like they may have fanned out a bit. Maybe squeeze them in? But as mentioned above, the connector body typically forces these back into position.

Beyond that - I don't know what to say on this one.

TheBox (resized).jpg
#6 84 days ago

Thank you Ed. I squeezed the wings in a bit and it seems to help.

These are being tested in my EBD.

I think they are fine. With a little squeeze on the wings now I think the difference I believe I am feeling comes from inserting one pin in the connector for the test. When I take an existing connector and only insert the end on one pin they feel similar.

I appreciate your feedback.

Dave

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
De Queen, AR
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside