Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7C17C97C-10BE-4295-91F5-2D2FAC51EF50 (resized).jpeg
    51AE2D94-9AE8-445B-BA12-A46863AF2E77 (resized).jpeg
    0B772996-39CF-41B1-8866-5FB4F480A5F0 (resized).jpeg
    BE21B84C-E9D2-41CB-99EA-C949B7BEC204 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I’m looking at some of my restored games and realize they aren’t as vibrant as the newer games I have - and I believe it’s because I didn’t really know what I was doing when installing the playfield and insert lights.

I’m asking for recommendations for LEDs that are bright and clear like a new game, so I can install some and see how they compare.

For example - I have a lot of frosted bulbs, but are these better than the 1 SMD ones I see, or the 4-SMD ones which don’t actually seem to be any brighter. And I’m not clear on the lenses in some of them - concave lenses appear to throw light more around than direct, but they are kinda weak overall in terms of light output.

I’ve read the Comet descriptions of a lot of bulbs and types, but they don’t really give me a great sense of how they actually perform in a game. Thanks!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I go frosted every time, 2smd cheapness, warm, buy in bulk.
    I feel like they have the widest usage. When i stand in front of the machine, if there are any bulbs peeling out and visible to the eye i throw an Incandescent in there.

Cool, that’s exactly the type of feedback I’m looking for. And they are bright enough under colored inserts I take it -

#14 5 years ago

There’s lot of great suggestions here - Comet’s website is overwhelming; they have so much stuff! I hadn’t heard of the slow fade leds either.

Sounds like I’m going to start with the sunlight or warm white 2SMDs first...

#15 5 years ago

Are there any good solutions for flasher brightness? I would like to get a couple of those tower bulbs to make the flash more evenly distributed (vs the common 906 flasher I have where everything comes out the top), but I’m afraid it’s just going to be way too bright!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

IF....IF you must get flashers get the cheapest ones. Once you start getting into the flasher towers and all that shit it's super obnoxious.
    Some people don;t like the "coming out of the top look" as much as they do "Hey I'm fucking blinded this is great."
    https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8smdflash.htm

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-2led.htm

Yeah, that’s what I’m learning - it’s great to install a big flasher that looks like Robby the robot but when you can’t see for 3 days after playing the game, it starts to lose its luster.

I’m going to try the bulb Comet specifically points out as producing less light and see if it throws an even distribution. Otherwise maybe I’ll try some masking tape! Haha

#19 5 years ago

I forgot to mention, mostly this is going in a soon-to-be-restore-completed Twilight Zone and an existing restored original MB, then DW when I get around to it..

#33 5 years ago

All right, to start I ordered a bunch of the sunlight frosted 2smd ones- I'll start with those. If I'm going to do color matching, I'll try some of the existing color bulbs I have, and do an order later on if I want. One of the
    Issues I have with MB in particular is how dark all the inserts (and the GI) are, and I'm starting there first. I also ordered a handful of different flasher types to try and see how those work. I want to replace the Frankenstein globe flashers in particular - I don't like how they look like a horizontal line when they start flashing.

Thanks for all the input, that was super helpful!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All right, to start I ordered a bunch of the sunlight frosted 2smd ones- I'll start with those. If I'm going to do color matching, I'll try some of the existing color bulbs I have, and do an order later on if I want. One of the
    Issues I have with MB in particular is how dark all the inserts (and the GI) are, and I'm starting there first. I also ordered a handful of different flasher types to try and see how those work. I want to replace the Frankenstein globe flashers in particular - I don't like how they look like a horizontal line when they start flashing.
    Thanks for all the input, that was super helpful!

I wanted to follow up.. got my Comet order the other day. WOW! Huge, HUGE difference. First lesson; don't use the concave LEDs for inserts. I dont' remember consciously making that decision, but likely I didn't have any other bulbs, and just went with those. I basically replaced every single bulb in the machine. What a tremendous difference. The only thing remaining is the weird shadow under the slings that the coil arm creates. I've got to figure out how to work around that, but otherwise this was a huge improvement.

Just placed an order for more of the "matrix" connectors from Comet as well. I remember looking at these a year or so ago and just not understanding what they are for. Well, now I get it. Thanks again everybody

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-led-recommendations?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.