Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So as part of my ongoing project to disassemble all the classic stern games, I recall that when I owned a Split Second, there was a certain combination of Dips concerning the extra ball code that would just keep giving extra balls. I no longer own the game, but I am willing to take a stab at fixing the bug for others, however, I don't recall what sequence of dips were set to have the bug happen.

Any Split Seconds owners that have experienced the bug can you post what the dip settings were? I'm reasonably sure it has something to do with the add a ball function but not 100% sure. I have the code disassembled and am working on getting it 100% compilable (meaning that you assemble it and the resulting binary matches the game's original software) - but I'm not doing the full comment procedure like I did for Galaxy and other games.

7 months later
#2 3 years ago

I have a splt second that does this! Found your post while searching how to fix

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Calvintaylor:

I have a splt second that does this! Found your post while searching how to fix

If you can post the dip switch setting combination(s) that cause it I can look to see if it can be fixed in the software.

1 month later
#4 3 years ago

I've just encountered the same problem. These were the settings of all DIPs when I first got the Infinite Extra Ball:

1 - off Coin Chute 2
2 - off Coin Chute 2
3 - off Coin Chute 2
4 - off Coin Chute 2
5 - on Bonus Ball
6 - on High Score
7 - off Balls Per Game
8 - off Not Used

9 - off Coin Chute 3
10 - off Coin Chute 3
11 - off Coin Chute 3
12 - off Coin Chute 3
13 - off Add-A-Ball
14 - off Add-A-Ball (Memory)
15 - on High Score Feature
16 - on High Score Feature

17 - on Talking Sound
18 - off Maximum Credit
19 - off Maximum Credit
20 - on Display Credits
21 - on Match
22 - on Extra Ball
23 - on Extra Ball (1 Per ball / 1 Per Game)
24 - on 5 Bank Lites Carry Over

25 - off Coin Chute 1
26 - off Coin Chute 1
27 - off Coin Chute 1
28 - off Coin Chute 1
29 - on Special 2/1 Lit
30 - on Special Feature
31 - on Red Special
32 - on Red Special

I think you were only asking about the Add-A-Ball DIPs, but I'm not the one looking at the code and more information is always better. Here are my results for all combinations of DIPs 13 and 14:

13 Off, 14 Off - Infinite Extra Ball
13 On, 14 Off - Normal
13 Off, 14 On - Infinite Extra Ball
13 On, 14 On - Normal

The results are the same whether DIP 23 is On (1 EB per ball) or Off (1 EB per game), though when the extra ball behaves normally the 1 Per Game setting is respected. I tested switching DIP 31 Off and 32 On to award an extra ball for Special, and you do get the infinite extra ball if DIP 13 is off. Also, code does correctly respect the setting of DIP 22 turning the extra ball off.

Can you tell me what the Add-A-Ball feature is meant to do? I understand the concept in the traditional sense (award additional balls instead of replays, sometimes many per ball in play) and the intent here seems to be to be able to award a maximum of 3 or 5 additional balls, but the manual does not describe these settings beyond that you can turn them on or off.

#5 3 years ago

AFAIK the add a ball is supposed to be 3 or 5 max added balls (at a time) - for replay levels, specials, extra balls, etc.

I think what happens is that the code that removes waiting balls just adds one back in with the messed up settings - I no longer have a SS so I couldn't really easily duplicate the issue as I have to do it in a pinmame debug setup (there's no graphics.... makes it harder to test different scenarios).

Next time I'm back into stern code (i.e. stymied in another project) I'll take a look with the specific settings you posted and see if I can find the error.

Can you test patches? (i.e. can you burn eproms)?

#6 3 years ago

Makes sense about the Add-A-Ball, it's just not explained in the manual at all. And since this game is being setup for standard Replays I wouldn't have though to look at it at all if it didn't cause the infinite extra ball bug.

I can burn EPROMs, but this Split Second is a client's game in for repair, so it'll be leaving sometime soonish. If you're fixing bugs, though, I *think* I've heard the game make the speech callout for "Mystery Ball" when it would be qualified but the Bonus Ball DIP switch is turned off.

#7 3 years ago

Yeah, probably not going to look at anything that quickly - but thanks for the dip settings, at least I have a starting point with go/no go info.

Ha, Bonus Ball - never noticed that feature. You sure the dip is good?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-info-on-split-second-endless-extra-ball-bug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.