(Topic ID: 318595)

Seeking ideas: tournament structure for non pinheads

By Riefepeters

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AC5B149E-9602-448F-8FF1-EDA32E87A4B5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 1 year ago

The only times I’ve gotten non pinheads to play is by setting up a comp. They literally just look at the games only if I don’t do that.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yeah I guess that's what I mean ha. Like if I go to someone's house and they were like "its time for the dungeons and dragons tournament it will only take two hours!"...if I want to play by now I would have asked ya know? Anyway just my two cents...never had much luck getting people interested in something by forcing them to participate in it.

Who’s forcing anyone? They are always into it. That’s why I do it. They don’t know what to do, but appreciate direction.

Setting up a split flipper tournament that takes a hour is a good way to hang and learn about pinball.

YMMV

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Maybe forcing isn't the best word? You have a bunch of people over to your house you work with and then plan a tournament...maybe it will be advertised as a tournament so people only come if they are interested?
    I've never had luck getting non pinball people into pinball by asking them to come play a bunch of pinball. People that come over are always welcome to play, some do, some don't. Some love it, some play a game and go "meh" and go back upstairs.
    I guess I assume like as OP said if people play a game or two and leave...they're presumably doing that because they don't want to play anymore. If someone comes to my house and doesn't play pinball or plays a game and loses interest...is asking them to play more pinball, for longer, with rules and structure really going to be fun for them? I guess it could happen? It sounds Iike these people have been exposed to pinball already and aren't interested?
    Anyway, not trying to derail this but just thinking about other people. If I went to someone's house before and clearly wasn't interested in X activity/hobby...it's because I wasn't interested. But YMMV also, maybe everyone gets converted, who knows I guess.

I just ask people if the want to play split flipper. They’ve always said yes after they understand what it is.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from curban:

Not sure what it’s called but I played this at CO Bar in Frisco, CO and have now done it twice as beginner tourney for my coworkers. It goes over very well with my coworkers:
    - players play in groups of 3 or 4 each round
    - winner of group gets 0pts, 2nd in group gets 1, 3rd gets 2, 4th gets 3.
    - once you have X pts, you’re out.
    - after each round players are reseated for next game.
    - I’ve played with 7pt cap. Players typically start being eliminated in rounds 4&5. Final is usually completed in round 8 or 9.

This is called progressive strikes.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

It's a good causal and fun format for sure, but my point is unless you are having an event to specifically play pinball...why even ask people to play who clearly aren't interested? Why not just let them go do what they want?
    Totally agree that if someone says "I'm having a pinball party come over and play", I'd assume everyone was down to play pinball. If you just have people over to hang out or whatever and they aren't interested in playing...why keep asking them to play. It's ok for people to not want to play pinball.

I usually do this at family events, sports parties, and used to when my daughter was younger and her friends parents were over.

You won’t know if they aren’t interested until you ask them. Haven’t had someone decline split flipper yet.

I’ve found the reason they aren’t playing is because they think they are gonna break them or something like that.

#30 1 year ago

I like talking to people to see what they are or aren’t into. But everyone’s different.

This is more like suggesting a new board game to the group imo.

Oh and these people are still not into pinball, haha. They just have enjoyed split flipper when I’ve suggested it.

#36 1 year ago

I would consider very easy tasks for each game for pingolf.

Like Metallica, shoot sparky once.

Medieval madness, drop the drawbridge

AFM, drop the visor.

Stuff like that. Getting a certain score may seem too random to them.

#44 1 year ago

Yeah I would make them easier.

Monster bash. Just light Frank MB

TZ - shoot the left or right ramp once

Stuff like that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-ideas-tournament-structure-for-non-pinheads?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.