Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JL under PF (resized).jpg
    JL PCBs (resized).jpg
    JL coin door (resized).jpg
    JL MPU (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got 8 years of EM repair and restoration under my belt, but I've decided it's time to try solid state. But, I'm lost at sea on this technology. I'm looking seriously at a Williams JL ('81) with a system 7 that looks terribly intimidating. I can visually assess the machine mechanics, PF and graphics okay, but I would really appreciate a veteran system 7 guru to give a look-see at the 4 internal pics I've managed to get from the seller. It looks very clean overall, and I don't see corrosion from a cursory look, but I have no base of knowledge and could use any help I can get before I take this plunge. BG looks perfect, all game functions, displays and sound work fine, and owner says no battery damage. So it's not a project machine. I'm trying to learn everything I can before I invest in the road trip.

JL MPU (resized).jpgJL MPU (resized).jpgJL PCBs (resized).jpgJL PCBs (resized).jpgJL coin door (resized).jpgJL coin door (resized).jpgJL under PF (resized).jpgJL under PF (resized).jpg
    #5 4 years ago

I knew I came to the right place. Thanks for the feedback! Curious what a new MPU and power supply caps would run me (parts). And would I probably need to replace sockets and/or connectors, too?

This machine also has two ugly bolts mounted on either side of the coin door, remnants of a past lock bar across it. Wondering if that affects it value? (I know it bothers me.)

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from yendor0:One more potential issue would be the resistors for the lamp column drive in the lower right corner of the driver board. Looks like one has been replaced already. After 40 years of heat-cycling, those are usually in pretty rough shape.

Never saw that one. Good eagle eye!

#10 4 years ago

This will put the old adage "there are no dumb questions" to the test.

I will have to disassemble the JL I'm buying at pickup. I'm guessing -- but don't want to assume -- that it comes apart like earlier Williams EM machines? Back box bolted to cab, cables disconnected from inside, etc. I've moved countless EMs.

Also, if someone could confirm the unassembled machine dimensions, I'll know in advance that it fits into a new CRV. My last Williams EM is long gone, but JL looks like it's roughly the same size as the two 70s Ballys I have: BB is 30x28x10; Cab is 22x52x16 (approx). Thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeking-expert-advice-for-wms-s7-i-want-to-buy?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.