Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Coyote
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hotregister.PNG
    ceilingfrontdoor.PNG
    missinginsulation.PNG
    recessed light.PNG
    ghosts.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

I have been looking for a cheap, decent thermal imager and just learned about this unit today. It happens to be on Lightning Deal at Amazon right now. Requires an Android or IOS phone. Regular price is $250.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NYWABAA

#2 8 years ago

Looks like a descent alternative and reviews seem good. Although, I'd still be a little wary of a product that needs a cell phone to work. Guess it depends what you're using it for and your price range. For work, I've sat through a number of thermography presentations from Flir and Fluke. Both are constantly talking about resolution and accuracy...referring to the 'color blob' of competitor's cameras. You might be able to tell if an area is overly hot, but not exactly where it's coming from. If you stand at the street curb and point it at your house, cheaper cameras won't show hot spots...or aim at an electrical board might show a 'red' region, but not which chip is overheating. If you haven't bought it already, I've got a few older models that might interest you...sending you a PM.

#3 8 years ago

It's a nice toy but has uneven coverage across the sensor; at least mine does. The sensor itself has hot/cold spots.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

It's a nice toy but has uneven coverage across the sensor; at least mine does. The sensor itself has hot/cold spots.

I had read there were some early hardware issues and also a December update that resolved a number of issues. Might be worth checking into. I've already ordered one. I hope it isn't a dud.

#5 8 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but what is your intended use of such a device?

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is your intended use of such a device?

I'm mostly interested in it to diagnose home energy inefficiencies, but it will also be useful for electrical work. If you are a DIYer, this can be handy for all sorts of stuff.

http://www.thermal.com/common-uses/

#7 8 years ago

He's lying. You use it to find ghosts.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

He's lying. You use it to find ghosts.

maybe.......maybe...

ghosts.jpegghosts.jpeg
    #10 8 years ago

Just got it today. Snapping some pics of my ceiling, I can see I've got all kinds of insulation issues. I'm going to have to get a macro lens to use it for board work, but those are roughly $18. Here are a few pics I took today for anyone interested.....

Hot spots in the ceiling at my front door.

ceilingfrontdoor.PNGceilingfrontdoor.PNG

Missing insulation.

missinginsulation.PNGmissinginsulation.PNG

Hot spot at a recessed light.

recessed light.PNGrecessed light.PNG

Hot register (closest to air handler and ~10 degrees hotter than the others).

hotregister.PNGhotregister.PNG

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Just got it today. Snapping some pics of my ceiling, I can see I've got all kinds of insulation issues. I'm going to have to get a macro lens to use it for board work, but those are roughly $18. Here are a few pics I took today for anyone interested.....Hot register (closest to air handler and ~10 degrees hotter than the others).
    hotregister.PNG

Where the heck are you that you need heat in June?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Where the heck are you that you need heat in June?

The register is blowing 63 degrees AC. All others measure mid 50s.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The register is blowing 63 degrees AC. All others measure mid 50s.

Hah! Sorry - I saw the 73 degree one there, and when you said 'heat register', had me worried.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seek-thermal-imager-20499-lightning-deal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.