(Topic ID: 318620)

Seeing a lot of action at the top of the market, less at the bottom...

By JakeFAttie

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by arcyallen
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    169mrbubble (resized).jpeg
    3AC4C7BD-6731-4414-BED1-FBA10841AD2B (resized).jpeg
    5D2D4578-5F98-4C35-AB4D-9D0FF58E24FD (resized).png

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I'm fairly new to the sport, but have been following the markets religiously; my observation is that a ton of beautiful, top-dollar machines have been entering of late, much less so bargains. I imagine this has to do with the sinking stock and crypto markets having an effect on "whales."

#2 1 year ago

This post seems like a post that requires a CrazyLevi response

#3 1 year ago

Captain doom n gloom here…yes we’re in for a rough one….cash cash cash!

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

He has deserted his post in our hour of need... and this is the result. Thread after thread of the same thread.

Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I'm fairly new to the sport

Sorry new guy. You missed all the bargains. Oh the stories we all could tell.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Oh the stories we all could tell.

Nf $800
    Ngg $1200
    Tz$3000
    Lotr $2800
    Shaq $600
    Ft $1000

Total $9400 = stranger things pro with a uv kit today

5D2D4578-5F98-4C35-AB4D-9D0FF58E24FD (resized).png5D2D4578-5F98-4C35-AB4D-9D0FF58E24FD (resized).png
    #6 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Another bubble thread? Damn I'm in!

#7 1 year ago

The price for entry for DMD and newer, flashy machines (and classic sterns that all the tournament folks like) is pretty high these days. Everything on the secondary market seems close to double from two years ago.

I haven't bought a new game in a year and a half. (mostly because of prices, but partially because of space and a backlog of projects)

I've pretty much written off a few of the titles on my wish list since the prices climbed so high on them. Oh well.

I was hoping to be able to pick something up last month at a show, but there actually wasn't much available for sale, and even less in the price range I was looking at.

#8 1 year ago

What are the distributors going to do with all those NIB GnR’s?

#9 1 year ago

I'm well aware the bargains are long gone, I'm really talking about what I'm seeing in the last month; tons of $10k+ games entering the used, private market. No idea what's going on with dealers, but brand new $7k stern is looking more and more like a good deal, if you can afford it.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I'm well aware the bargains are long gone, I'm really talking about what I'm seeing in the last month; tons of $10k+ games entering the used, private market. No idea what's going on with dealers, but brand new $7k stern is looking more and more like a good deal, if you can afford it.

I bought a Maverick this weekend for 2200. It's a project, but will clean up nice. I'm happy with it. It seems like most people these days don't care much for older machines.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I still see lots of entry level machines, which I'd consider $2-4K, for sale in FB groups daily. Join those and don't restrict your market watching to just Pinside.

#12 1 year ago

I got a project Black Hole for 2K. Complete but not working. I felt it was a good opportunity. Got another machine I'm slated to pick up for 250, missing legs but complete. So they are out there.

#13 1 year ago

Maybe more genuine conversation about the pinball market and less egging on of CrazyLevi? That would be cool. There are real, interesting conversations to be had...today...about this. If you're not interested, or sick of hearing it, that's OK - just move on.

#14 1 year ago

Two things:

1. Are you looking at games on the pinside marketplace? Fairly priced games tend to go instantly here. Maybe the higher priced games don't have realistic prices?

2. It has been my experience that the midlevel pins, tend to be much more likely to be for sale on Craigslist and on Facebook, at least around here. You are much more likely to get someone buying their first pin off of those sites than here, and most (not all) people cut their teeth in this world on a used pin.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I bought a Maverick this weekend for 2200. It's a project, but will clean up nice. I'm happy with it. It seems like most people these days don't care much for older machines.

Good. I'll buy them all and enjoy them. The AS-2518 and Systems 3, 11, etc. are fun in their own right. Bought a Harlem Globetrotters and an F14 for almost $2000 below a NIB Stern Pro.

#16 1 year ago

Nothing is selling because people still think they can sell a stern for more than msrp

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Maybe more genuine conversation about the pinball market and less egging on of CrazyLevi? That would be cool. There are real, interesting conversations to be had...today...about this. If you're not interested, or sick of hearing it, that's OK - just move on.

There are not really interesting conversations to be had on this which is why this thread has 13 posts.

These conversations have all been had - conservatively estimated - 14.3 billion times.

What’s interesting about them? They are all exactly the same.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

That ship sailed long ago, unfortunately. I've seen mods summoning him, ffs.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The price for entry for DMD and newer, flashy machines (and classic sterns that all the tournament folks like) is pretty high these days. Everything on the secondary market seems close to double from two years ago.
    I haven't bought a new game in a year and a half. (mostly because of prices, but partially because of space and a backlog of projects)
    I've pretty much written off a few of the titles on my wish list since the prices climbed so high on them. Oh well.
    I was hoping to be able to pick something up last month at a show, but there actually wasn't much available for sale, and even less in the price range I was looking at.

It's all relative. I am guessing you didn't spend 100K on the 40 games you currently have in your collection. Now that is whale money right there!

#20 1 year ago

i think there is more trading going on between owners with no room.One out one in.imo

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nothing is selling because people still think they can sell a stern for more than msrp

Says the man selling a TWD at almost twice the price they went for new? And it's sale pending? That screams that things are still selling.

#22 1 year ago

well, hey hey, I'm not trying to start something controversial or rehash a bunch of tired discussions that have already been had. I was just pointing out a personal observation about what I've been seeing (on here, west coast craigslist, and facebook market/sell groups). Maybe it's just observational bias, but the bitcoin/stock market correction started around 2 months ago and that's the period of time I'm trying to discuss; not what the market has done in the last few years. And again, I'm not talking about NIB going for over MSRP; I'm talking about used premium/LE and really nicely restored classics entering the market "en masse;" high end collections being sold. Maybe I'm just seeing a bunch of stuff beyond my price range and thinking it's a trend.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Says the man selling a TWD at almost twice the price they went for new? And it's sale pending? That screams that things are still selling.

Current msrp for a stern pro is 7k, and it’s also a highly modded discontinued game. Nice try though

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There are not really interesting conversations to be had on this which is why this thread has 13 posts.
    These conversations have all been had - conservatively estimated - 14.3 billion times.
    What’s interesting about them? They are all exactly the same.

I understand you believe there's nothing left to talk about, the topic is static, and that's it's uninteresting. You've been loud and clear about that. Got it.

In the meantime, there are those of us that believe, despite how much we know about any topic (including pinball), there's still more to understand. That things can and do change. We're open to the idea that, despite perhaps thousands of hours of experience and study there's still more to go. In the topics I'm most knowledgeable and have worked professionally in, I am still looking and listening for things that perhaps I misunderstood. Things I missed. Things that, despite my strong confidence, I'm outright wrong about. If you're not doing that, that's ok. Do what works for you. But if people have something intelligent or interesting to say (especially in a non-snarky manner) I acknowledge I may not have heard it before and would like to hear it.

Perhaps others would too.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

But if people have something intelligent or interesting to say (especially in a non-snarky manner) I acknowledge I may not have heard it before and would like to hear it.
    Perhaps others would too.

No people have anything intelligent nor interesting to say on this matter, certainly not anything you've never heard before, snarky or otherwise.

#26 1 year ago

With all these doomsday threads ,I’m beginning to wonder what percentage of pinsiders are in this for profit as opposed to fun ? Play More Pinball

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

With all these doomsday threads ,I’m beginning to wonder what percentage of pinsiders are in this for profit as opposed to fun ? Play More Pinball

Everybody gets in it for fun, but it's impossible not to get caught up in the market aspects of it. It's always been this way, even Doctor Whos were going for $900. Everybody in pinball is absolutely obsessed with what things cost and that's always been the case.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody gets in it for fun, but it's impossible not to get caught up in the market aspects of it. It's always been this way, even Doctor Whos were going for $900. Everybody in pinball is absolutely obsessed with what things cost and that's always been the case.

I hear ya.I don’t have money to burn at all and work hard to buy these things .I’ve came out ahead and have sold for under ,but all in all it evens out as time goes on I’d think .Right now there are a few newer Stern premiums up for 7-7500 .If I had the scratch Id be all over these .No matter the market there’s always deals to be had and pricing to stay away from .In other words don’t chase the GZ prem @11k buy the Mando for 7.2k and all will be ok Does this make sense ?

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hear ya.I don’t have money to burn at all and work hard to buy these things .I’ve came out ahead and have sold for under ,but all in all it evens out as time goes on I’d think .Right now there are a few newer Stern premiums up for 7-7500 .If I had the scratch Id be all over these .No matter the market there’s always deals to be had and pricing to stay away from .In other words don’t chase the GZ prem @11k buy the Mando for 7.2k and all will be ok Does this make sense ?

Yeah. Buy the good deals. This is how I've always approached it and it's how I've managed to keep my marbles while so many others have entered a tailspin of insanity.

In 2006, that meant buying that $1100 Demo Man. In 2022, it means buying that $3500 Demo Man. Either way, it ain't rocket science - buy what you think is a good deal, and don't buy what you think costs too much.

I don't think anybody needs a weekly pricing thread to figure that out, but then, I've miscalculated what folks in this hobby need before.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah. Buy the good deals. This is how I've always approached it and it's how I've managed to keep my marbles while so many others have entered a tailspin of insanity.
    In 2006, that meant buying that $1100 Demo Man. In 2022, it means buying that $3500 Demo Man. Either way, it ain't rocket science - buy what you think is a good deal, and don't buy what you think costs too much.
    I don't think anybody needs a weekly pricing thread to figure that out, but then, I've miscalculated what folks in this hobby need before.

We’ll put .Last thing I have to get back to work haha .I’d like to see opinions on why the big dogs have put out only 2 pins in 2022 so far where as I think it was 8 last year altogether .Is it all parts supply or something else in the mix ? Tty soon bud enjoy the day

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

We’ll put .Last thing I have to get back to work haha .I’d like to see opinions on why the big dogs have put out only 2 pins in 2022 so far where as I think it was 8 last year altogether .Is it all parts supply or something else in the mix ? Tty soon bud enjoy the day

Parts/labor hampering production and they've for a lot of really popular pins out right now that they can't seem to make enough of.. why put out a new game if you can make all you can sell already. Keep the new games in the chamber for when things slow down.

#32 1 year ago

Most interesting is what is selling and not selling. There are still people willing to pay bloated amounts, but only for very specific things - either their personal grail or the TZs, IJs, and LE/CEs you can expect are more likely to hold value and not murder you if you sell them down the line. Then there's the middle of the road DMD stuff selling in the 2.5-4k range, where you kinda figure there's a good chance the market cools and you'd lose 500 next year if you sold it, but you can live with that possibility, vs. the 2-3k you might eat on some of other things. What interests me are the in-production sterns like Mando that are going well below MSRP, and still not selling super fast. That tells me more about where things are and where they are headed than all the guys trying to cash in with a crazy ask right as the market cools because they waited too long.

Things are getting more reasonable, but man there are some funny pipe dreams floating by too

#33 1 year ago

$7200 low play HUO Mando Premium with Stern Accessories and shooter knob. Free delivery within 400 miles. There are still deals to be had on in production games.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-mandalorian-premium-31#post-7026166

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

$7200 low play HUO Mando Premium with Stern Accessories and shooter knob. Free delivery within 400 miles. There are still deals to be had on in production games.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-mandalorian-premium-31#post-7026166

Wow.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yes, but my gawd you gotta be quick to scoop em! Sold already...

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Current msrp for a stern pro is 7k, and it’s also a highly modded discontinued game. Nice try though

I know you will downvote this, but this is exactly the problem. An older, DMD Stern (regardless of mods) should not come close to a NIB game. It’s used. There were many made and most are in great or good condition. Only the exceptions (the top of the list games) or those experiencing the flavor of the month boost should go for this value. Older games that are restored to like new condition earn their value. But TWD, c’mon, it’s just a Stern DMD game of a dead franchise. People used to expect games to lose value over time. Now everyone wants to gouge each other.

#37 1 year ago

If you're in CA go pick up some sub-7k new Stern Pros that are being sold at the end of Comic Con in SD next weekend!

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

So anyone asking above msrp of other games on the market? Got it

#39 1 year ago

I can't say the hobby but pinside has taken a big shift in recent years. Pinside is all about pins in production. Its feels like its the vast majority of what everyone here cares about. It was not that long ago that pins in production were a minor thing. Now its all about paying a premium on new and every old pin is close to new price. Does the bottom market even exist here?

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Yes, but my gawd you gotta be quick to scoop em! Sold already...

You should see how fast fairly priced projects go on Pinside!

True story: 2 years ago I listed this complete project Space Shuttle on pinside. Less than 10 minutes later my phone rang, "Hey sataneatscheese, I'll take Space Shuttle, I have your cash, I'm in the truck, on my way, and will be there in 20 minutes". Pin was out of my house less than an hour after I listed it. On top of that, I didn't even get a message through pinside to buy it. The guy who scooped it up had bought a pin from me before and already had my number. Maybe I'm a bad influence...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-project-cash-trades-even-arcades-welcomed

Quoted from Darscot:

I can't say the hobby but pinside has taken a big shift in recent years. Pinside is all about pins in production. Its feels like its the vast majority of what everyone here cares about. It was not that long ago that pins in production were a minor thing. Now its all about paying a premium on new and every old pin is close to new price. Does the bottom market even exist here?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-a-diverse-lineup

#41 1 year ago

I’d had a couple of distributors contact me with offers of NIB Premiums well below MSRP, including several desirable titles.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:I know you will downvote this, but this is exactly the problem. An older, DMD Stern (regardless of mods) should not come close to a NIB game. It’s used. There were many made and most are in great or good condition. Only the exceptions (the top of the list games) or those experiencing the flavor of the month boost should go for this value. Older games that are restored to like new condition earn their value. But TWD, c’mon, it’s just a Stern DMD game of a dead franchise. People used to expect games to lose value over time. Now everyone wants to gouge each other.

They don’t make them anymore. Should Adams family be 2k because it’s a dead franchise and they made 20k of them and that was the msrp?

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

But TWD, c’mon, it’s just a Stern DMD game of a dead franchise. People used to expect games to lose value over time....

One of the best coded games of all time.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Discontinued being a selling point is funny. All games get discontinued.

Also, people don't typically like to pay extra for other people's choices in mods; ColorDMD being the main exception.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

If you're in CA go pick up some sub-7k new Stern Pros that are being sold at the end of Comic Con in SD next weekend!

I'll be there, but I'm not the market for the latest and greatest.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I agree - I don't want to talk about pins later than say, 2005. I feel like the shiny new things are just in their own separate world, at a price point that's just ridiculous. But what do I know.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

But TWD, c’mon, it’s just a Stern DMD game of a

3AC4C7BD-6731-4414-BED1-FBA10841AD2B (resized).jpeg3AC4C7BD-6731-4414-BED1-FBA10841AD2B (resized).jpeg

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I know you will downvote this, but this is exactly the problem. An older, DMD Stern (regardless of mods) should not come close to a NIB game. It’s used. There were many made and most are in great or good condition. Only the exceptions (the top of the list games) or those experiencing the flavor of the month boost should go for this value. Older games that are restored to like new condition earn their value. But TWD, c’mon, it’s just a Stern DMD game of a dead franchise. People used to expect games to lose value over time. Now everyone wants to gouge each other.

Eh, I just sell my pins for whatever the market rate is, or if there's not a lot of recent sales to compare it to, then I sell them for what seems fair to me, with a bit of wiggle room for negotiation.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

It's all relative. I am guessing you didn't spend 100K on the 40 games you currently have in your collection. Now that is whale money right there!

No, probably half that. Most were project games, a few just needed shop jobs and minor repairs, and an even smaller number were actually plug & play ready.

Basically, I go for the dented cans to save a few bucks. But even those have been getting much harder to find with so many eyes searching for them.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Basically, I go for the dented cans to save a few bucks. But even those have been getting much harder to find with so many eyes searching for them.

This is what I've found as well.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seeing-a-lot-of-action-at-the-top-of-the-market-less-at-the-bottom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.