5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by InfiniteLives
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180521_204103 (resized).jpg
    20180514_121455 (resized).jpg
    bebop_01_12 (resized).jpg
    eye (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180429_163305 (resized).jpg
    20180423_103157 (resized).jpg
    20180423_110124 (resized).jpg
    20180423_110108 (resized).jpg
    ryobi-forstner-bits-a9fs8r1-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    20180421_165520 (resized).jpg
    20180421_165526 (resized).jpg
    15242748089891306807748 (resized).jpg
    20180418_204923 (resized).jpg
    20180418_081035 (resized).jpg
    20180418_081042 (resized).jpg
    20180418_081025 (resized).jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 months ago

Layout is looking super cool!

#52 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Layout is looking super cool!

thanks! Definitely not as intricate as yours, especially that amazing lower playfield!

it is starting to look more like a pinball machine tho lol which is nice

#53 5 months ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

thanks! Definitely not as intricate as yours, especially that amazing lower playfield!
    it is starting to look more like a pinball machine tho lol which is nice

Sometimes I’m starting to regret some of my planned features lol. I like having a lot of shots and I think you are nailing that aspect with some unique features. Can’t wait to see it with all the ramps on and shooting!

#54 5 months ago

So I decided to swap out that vuk shaft as it was too hard to hit it in it without making major alterations to it. I will use that as it was originally intended, as the vuk out of the subway. Installed this other vuk that will use a wire form to get it up to the other ramp return .

Making some adjustments to the left ramp and inner orbit as well. Still waiting on some key parts from Europe to more or less finalize their placement.

Also installed the back board so I can make the return ramp

152392489668146704300 (resized).jpg

#55 5 months ago

Is that a launch ramp into the backboard return?

#56 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Is that a launch ramp into the backboard return?

Yes sir!

If I can make it work that is. The center ramp is going to be the astral gate shot .

#57 5 months ago

Very cool!! Regretting not doing something like that on mine a little - jump shots are pretty sweet

#58 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Very cool!! Regretting not doing something like that on mine a little - jump shots are pretty sweet

Yeah, these lift ramps are pretty wide which makes its a pretty easy shot, so adding the need to hit it good enough to launch it over adds some difficulty as well! Fabbing a return ramp will be my next challenge. I need to get that habitrail in place so I can properly place the guide for the VUK shot and then I can work on the right ramp and the area behind the vuk. Wired in the vuk coil and its switch and it works well. Going to switch out that crappy fork switch with a #180-5116-01 when I make my next parts order.

#59 5 months ago

took some video at lunch of hitting the backboard trying to find the right spot to place the entrance. going to watch it and see if I can pin point a good spot. put markers of 1,2 and 3 on the wood to give me a visual guide reference point. Will try and make the cuts this evening unless I have other things to do pop up (which they always seem to do)

#60 5 months ago

Alright

Measured where the entrance needs to be, used a mason jar for my circle lol

20180417_181346 (resized).jpg

Drilled a hole for my saw blade

20180417_181523 (resized).jpg

Cut the hole

20180417_182052 (resized).jpg

Installed

20180417_182942 (resized).jpg

Now need to fab the return portion with cardboard

#61 5 months ago

Last night made a cardboard and duct tape return to the astral gate ramp shot.

Will install it on the game and test it at lunch and make some adjustments and maybe cut out the return slot.

if it works out will use abs plastic and mold a more permanent piece.

20180418_081035 (resized).jpg20180418_081042 (resized).jpg20180418_081025 (resized).jpg

#62 5 months ago

If you want to save time it’s super quick to fab with cardboard stock for guides, foamcore for bottom portion, and affixed with hot glue.. save yah some duct tape. Just a thought. I have been pretty amazed how well hot glue works and how sturdy cardboard stock is

#63 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

If you want to save time it’s super quick to fab with cardboard stock for guides, foamcore for bottom portion, and affixed with hot glue.. save yah some duct tape. Just a thought. I have been pretty amazed how well hot glue works and how sturdy cardboard stock is

Thanks, I havent worked with any foamcore yet. What thickness do you recommend from your experience?

#64 5 months ago

Thanks, I havent worked with any foamcore yet. What thickness do you recommend from your experience?

I’d guess it’s 1/4”.

#65 5 months ago

Got the return kinda working but it rejects too many shots . Told my girlfriend it works but needs some tweaking cause it rejects too many shots and she say, "yup, don't want to make another Houdini" lol

20180418_204923 (resized).jpg

#66 5 months ago

How are they rejecting? Hitting the edge, or falling back out?

#67 5 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

How are they rejecting? Hitting the edge, or falling back out?

Hits the back of the guide and rejects out the entrance more often than not.

Edit: I need to make it a bit deeper to absorb more of the shot

#68 5 months ago

Also, pretty sure I am going to put a diverter back there and have another path for the ball, seeing how this is the astral gate shot. Might lead to a subway or I might have it drop back out to the main orbit

#69 5 months ago

If it goes in the hole then pops back out, put a 45 degr e Wall in there to guide the ball to the side. And I believe the foam core is 3/16”

#70 5 months ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

If it goes in the hole then pops back out, put a 45 degr e Wall in there to guide the ball to the side. And I believe the foam core is 3/16”

Thanks for the tip

#71 5 months ago

Put the right ramp in

15242748089891306807748 (resized).jpg

#72 5 months ago

Does that right orbit shoot okay? Angle seems a bit weird from that pic

#73 5 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Does that right orbit shoot okay? Angle seems a bit weird from that pic

Yeah orbit shoots really good actually from either way. I do need to cut that wood guide on the far right edge and extend the metal orbit guide for the return coming from the left orbit to exit more smoothly, right now it bounces off the shooter lane gate when it come around once it gets to that wood. Figured for now don't need to bother with it tho.

not sure if ill leave that rubber infront of the right side of the right ramp, clearance to the orbit seems okay, just put that post there for now to protect the guide behind it that I havent hammered in all the way

#74 5 months ago

Right now I am kind of at an impasse waiting for parts so I am going to be pulling the playfield out of the cab and start making insert holes, gi holes, other assembly holes and switch slots then wiring stuff back together. I probably wont put it back in the cab until I have all the major holes cut so once it is back in I can fit everything and have it more operational to code.

Many parts are still somewhere over the Atlantic I guess as the tracking has not hit the USPS.

#75 5 months ago

When did u order parts? Are these used parts coming from Dragon in Bulgaria?

#76 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

When did u order parts? Are these used parts coming from Dragon in Bulgaria?

Got em from arakissun (not sure if thats Dragon?), paid for them 18 days ago, shipped 7 days ago. Left Bulgaria 6 days ago.

some key pieces I need to fit in before I can more or less finalize certain shots. Mainly some diverters and a scoop as well as some drop targets but a bunch of other stuff as well. Great prices from him, too bad it takes so long to get them haha.

#77 5 months ago

Practiced cutting an insert on a scrap piece of wood. Worked pretty good. Going to the Colorado Symphony tonight and going to the Cubs Rockies game tomorrow so might not get to make any more progress til later

20180421_165520 (resized).jpg
    20180421_165526 (resized).jpg

#78 5 months ago

You cut that by hand with a router? Looks good! I’ve got that task coming pretty soon - I need to figure out how to make templates.

Yes - that’s the bulgaria guy. Unfortunately you can expect about a month shipment time from when it starts heading your way.

#79 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

You cut that by hand with a router? Looks good! I’ve got that task coming pretty soon - I need to figure out how to make templates.
    Yes - that’s the bulgaria guy. Unfortunately you can expect about a month shipment time from when it starts heading your way.

Dude, you are gonna want to get a set of frostner bits for your drill to make the circle inserts. Make it a breeze. I have a router I will try to use for other shapes.

I have this set and a few larger ones i bought individually. Make a pilot hole with a drill bit at the center of the circle. Use the size you want the insert to go in down to the correct depth then go 2 sizes down to drill out the center of the hole.

ryobi-forstner-bits-a9fs8r1-64_1000 (resized).jpg

#80 5 months ago

Cut a few inserts

20180423_103157 (resized).jpg
    20180423_110108 (resized).jpg
    20180423_110124 (resized).jpg

#81 5 months ago

Ah forstner bits - right! Forgot about those and actually wasn’t sure quite what they were for. Gonna grab that pack this week

#82 5 months ago

Dude, you are gonna want to get a set of frostner bits for your drill to make the circle inserts. Make it a breeze. I have a router I will try to use for other shapes.
    I have this set and a few larger ones i bought individually. Make a pilot hole with a drill bit at the center of the circle. Use the size you want the insert to go in down to the correct depth then go 2 sizes down to drill out the center of the hole.

How do you handle the depth?

#83 5 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

How do you handle the depth?

Go slow and check with the insert frequently.

Made a guide with a marker for the correct depth to check but it's not too hard to manage the pressure on the drill to get it right

#84 5 months ago

Go slow and check with the insert frequently.
    Made a guide with a marker for the correct depth to check but it's not too hard to manage the pressure on the drill to get it right

That's how I did my whitewood, but for the final I am looking for something more precise/reproduce-able; a really big drill press would be nice, or a radial drill press, or a cnc router or like mentioned I'll probably do a router and some jigs, forstner bits make nice jigs too.

#85 5 months ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

That's how I did my whitewood, but for the final I am looking for something more precise/reproduce-able; a really big drill press would be nice, or a radial drill press, or a cnc router or like mentioned I'll probably do a router and some jigs, forstner bits make nice jigs too.

Yeah, will hopefully be able to cnc the final version

#86 5 months ago

Not a huge update, havent done much but my parts from Bulgaria are in Denver so I should have them hopefully tomorrow fingers crossed. If not it would be monday I would bet.

#87 5 months ago

great thread. Can't believe I just found it!

#88 4 months ago

So got home from work at 2, attempted delivery at 1:35. Post office closed until Monday so I don't get to work with those parts over the weekend. Bah humbug

#89 4 months ago

Cut some inserts. Picking up parts tomorrow am.

Don't really want to cut any more until I finalize some more geometry up top
    IMG_20180429_163305 (resized).jpg

#90 4 months ago

Post office can't find my package so I'm just waiting here... Fun stuff

#91 4 months ago

Well after 30 minutes of searching they found it. Hooray

1 week later
    #92 4 months ago

been pretty busy, havent got a lot of things done but did get a scoop and diverter installed for the inner left orbit shot.

also, ordered some of these targets for my "Bloody Eye" shot/feature/mode etc. Think this will be incorporated as some sort of "fast scoring" mode as the bloody eye vials enhance ones abilities. if you have seen the show you get the idea.

eye (resized).jpg
    bebop_01_12 (resized).jpg

Taking a habitrail to my buddy who is 3d printing me the cathedral so he can fit it. The habitrail will feed thru the stained glass window of the cathedral on its way back to the inlane.

Also, I have gotten an artist friend from Boulder to work on my art, so that is a relief to have some profession help on that end. She enjoys pinball and when I asked her she said she has always wanted to do a pinball playfield since she got into pinball so yay! I introduced her to pinball a few years ago with one of my "beginners league" locally when she lived in Fort Collins.

#93 4 months ago

Got my shots lined up on my right side

A shot that horseshoes around the scoop. Scoop is raised, it's only an exit shot. Orbit shot has a 1 way gate and feeds to the right flipper 90% of the time, sometimes if it's hit super hard it will go to the left flipper but usually the gate and post slow it down

20180514_121455 (resized).jpg

#94 4 months ago

There going to be a target or something in front of the scoop?

#95 4 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

There going to be a target or something in front of the scoop?

Yeah, I need to see how I can fit them... I wanted to put the two bloody eye targets there but the scoop is lower than anticipated. I may route out the bottom of the playfield to raise up the scoop to make the targets work or go in another direction.

#96 4 months ago

"Bloody Eye" shot/feature/mode etc. Think this will be incorporated as some sort of "fast scoring"

Don't you mean "Fast Goring"?
    Ha, ha ha ha ha (cackle like crypt keeper!)

#97 4 months ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Don't you mean "Fast Goring"?
    Ha, ha ha ha ha (cackle like crypt keeper!)

haha, yeah, could have used some "fast goring" last night at league, you crushed us still in group 1 tho lol

put a video up of the right side shot on instagram if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi2StyUBwtq/?taken-by=dizz_co

#98 4 months ago

Put in this drop target that blocks the spinner shot/inner orbit

20180521_204103 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 16.95
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside