• Latest reply 1 year ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SnapShot (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I hope this helps the pinball community, anyone that wants to convert CCFL light fixtures to work LED tubes. see here

#startrek #ac-dc-(le)

SnapShot (resized).jpgSnapShot (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Very helpful post! Thanks.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Very helpful post! Thanks.

thanks. I saw a few posts about this topic but no video how to convert CCFL to LED, so I decided to share this.

#4 1 year ago

Just did this to my Metallica. Perfect timing, thanks much!!

#5 1 year ago

I've done this conversion for my house, my brother's house, and my mom's house on any florescent tubes they had, in the kitchen, the garage, etc. So nice not to have that ballast buzzing away soaking up all that electricity! When I get my Mustang Premium, this will be the first mod I do to it. It's a no brainer.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Just did this to my Metallica. Perfect timing, thanks much!!

Good idea, keeps the boards cooler and less watts is less stress on the circuits and LED lasts longer.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I've done this conversion for my house, my brother's house, and my mom's house on any florescent tubes they had, in the kitchen, the garage, etc. So nice not to have that ballast buzzing away soaking up all that electricity! When I get my Mustang Premium, this will be the first mod I do to it. It's a no brainer.

That must have taken long ass time, you're a generous guy helping them out. Hope they remember that sht on your birthday.

#8 1 year ago

Oh, it was actually quite easy, and kinda fun. It's just like you show in the schematic in your video; cut out the ballast(and throw it away!) and wire the hot to one side and the neutral to the other side and done! Especially simple in standard 48" fixtures since there's usually plenty of excess wire up there and wire nuts already in use. I think each conversion took less than about 15 minutes.

I was able to find a bunch of 10ct boxes of brand new GE ballast-bypass 48" 4000k 1750lumen bulbs at my local ReStore for $13 each! That particular location is literally right behind a Lowes and gets a lot of their clearance stuff that doesn't sell for whatever reason or returns that the vendors don't want. I even sold a couple of the boxes to a nearby Pinsider, too, passing on the savings! At $1.30/bulb, the savings can't be beat, on multiple levels.

#9 1 year ago

Pretty much same procedure in gottlieb 80B too. wire colors might be a little different though. Make sure you get the LED tubes that put mains on each end of the bulb for this wiring guide. Some LED tubes wire up by having mains going to only one side of the tube.

Try pointing the LEDs at the circuit boards. I think it looks better that way (less glare).

#10 1 year ago

First thing I would do if I ever owned a pin with a fluorescent bulb. If you never thought about how dangerous fluorescent bulbs can be, just take a look at the EPA's information on them: https://www.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl

I've done this swap with all the fluorescent fixtures in my house. So much better as the LED tubes generate little to no heat, the light doesn't change color/dim over time, and LEDs have none of the annoying noise that fluorescent transformers can make.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

First thing I would do if I ever owned a pin with a fluorescent bulb. If you never thought about how dangerous fluorescent bulbs can be, just take a look at the EPA's information on them: https://www.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl
I've done this swap with all the fluorescent fixtures in my house. So much better as the LED tubes generate little to no heat, the light doesn't change color/dim over time, and LEDs have none of the annoying noise that fluorescent transformers can make.

CFL bulbs where such a scam and we all mostly fell for it. There was an army of people crusading to use them. Any efficiency gain from CFL was lost to cost of building them and disposal. It's crazy to think CFL is gone but you can still buy incandescent. Ten - fifteen years ago everyone said the opposite. The light spectrum from a warm CFL sucks too. We should have switched to LED sooner and kept on using incandescent in the stop gap time. If anything CFL delayed LED tech.

Thankfully LEDs lights can be really good looking, cheaper than cfl to build/disposal, efficient, last a long time. I have one overhead basement fixture with flourescent bulbs left that rarely gets used. As soons the bulb or ballast goes out in it, will be all LED.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

CFL bulbs where such a scam and we all mostly fell for it. There was an army of people crusading to use them. Any efficiency gain from CFL was lost to cost of building them and disposal. It's crazy to think CFL is gone but you can still buy incandescent. Ten - fifteen years ago everyone said the opposite. The light spectrum from a warm CFL sucks too. We should have switched to LED sooner and kept on using incandescent in the stop gap time. If anything CFL delayed LED tech.
Thankfully LEDs lights can be really good looking, cheaper than cfl to build/disposal, efficient, last a long time. I have one overhead basement fixture with flourescent bulbs left that rarely gets used. As soons the bulb or ballast goes out in it, will be all LED.

The CFL push by the environmentalists was hilarious to me and still is to this day. It was a major push to save electricity and lessen the load on the grid as we were getting to be overpopulated, according to them, and have more efficient bulbs and therefore save the environment, somehow. But the bulbs themselves used the equivalent of a tiny drop mercury that would pollute the ground water in a serious manner if not recycled properly. I can't imagine how many people who bought them blindly because they were "told to" by media campaigns and what not, then threw them out in the regular trash when they died because they were never told that they had to recycle them properly due to their toxic chemicals. The massive ad campaigns never told anyone about not throwing them in the regular trash.

Nowadays, these same folks are telling us that we have to make the full switch over to electric cars only and there are even some cities and counties(in California) who are now outlawing natural gas for ALL new construction and building permits as a heating or cooking source. It's a perfect way to stifle growth, run up the electricity rates, and overpower the grid at the same time. Well done! The power grid here in California is already maxed out and can't take most hot days during the summer without multiple failures in multiple cities. What makes them think the grid is gonna be able to withstand all the new added load they're mandating?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/see-how-to-convert-stern-ccfl-light-to-work-led-tubes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.