(Topic ID: 93443)

Security screwdriver for backbox lock

By VolunteerPin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Sooooo.....

I've had numerous pins which have either been missing the entire lock mechanism or missing the key (current situation). Where can I buy a security screwdriver so I can remove/replace these locksets? (The type with the star-head screw a small central post in the screw).

Thanks,

Darin

#2 9 years ago

usually you can buy a little set of bits with all the different security heads included, and they normally will fit into a 1/4" drive driver. Not sure if you can purchase at ACE or Lowes as mine came from Betson. Just do an ebay search for security bit set and I am certain you will find one.

#3 9 years ago

Sears has them, or Harbor Freight if you have one nearby.

#4 9 years ago

Do a search for Torx Security and you will get a crap ton of hits for Amazon, Sears etc... Make sure they have the hollowed out center.

#5 9 years ago

Home Depot has them in the bits section. I think you want a size T20 security.

#6 9 years ago

I'd recommend you get a small set if you're likely to work on pins much.

Other things on pins use security bits besides the backbox lock (shooter handles on games like T2, ST:TNG, IJ, DH, power cord covers on later WPCs etc) and the sizes can and do vary.

The harbor freight set is cheap if you have one in your neighborhood, and I've been literally using a set of them for more than 5 years.

#7 9 years ago

I got this set off amazon for this very reason. $5.25 shipped if you have prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009U6AB4

3 weeks later
    #9 9 years ago

I bought my set from Pep Boys

#10 9 years ago

Home Depot, aubochons, lowes. Usually best to buy a full set. I've had tons of arcade machines that have them.
    Blake

3 weeks later
    #11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CptAwesomest:

I got this set off amazon for this very reason. $5.25 shipped if you have prime.
    amazon.com link »

I bought one of these. Worked perfectly.

Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/security-screwdriver-for-backbox-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.