Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am mainly an EM person. I own one SS, Data East Secret Service. I was working on the pop bumper switches last night trying to get them to be more responsive. Being an EM guy I was working with the machine powered on. You guessed it. I shorted the switch against one of the coil lugs for the blue pop bumper. Fuse blew, etc. Now when I power the game on everything works except the blue pop bumper. It no longer fires, and it overheats with the switch open causing the 5 amp slow blow fuse to blow mounted in the head on the right side. I'm looking for advice before buying a new coil. Is it the coil, one of the diodes or something on the CPU board?

I also have a second question concerning the F5 and F6 fuses on the Power Supply Board. In the head next to the board there's a fuse block diagram that shows these should be 2 1/2 and 7 amp slow blow fuses. The game schematic shows them as something else (I think 5 and 7 amp slow blow), and another diagram I got off the internet shows them as 3 and 8 amp slow blow fuses. Does anyone know what they really should be?

#2 5 years ago

TO your first question
don't know a lot about data east but it sounds like you may have blown a driver transistor for that coil and its getting hot and blowing fuse.
I'm assuming you mean the coil gets hot.

#3 5 years ago

Yes, the coil is getting extremely hot.

#4 5 years ago

Do you have a manul? Need to figure out what q transister runs that coil
On bally/Williams games it would be a tip102

#5 5 years ago

Should be Q10 blue pop, looks like a tip 122 a tip 102 works as well its a little more robust

#6 5 years ago

Wish I knew how to read SS schematics like I do EM schematics, but I agree. It looks like a tip 122 at Q10. So I just replace that on the CPU board? Is there a way to test to confirm this is the issue in advance?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from fraffin:

Is there a way to test to confirm this is the issue in advance?

Put a meter on it and see if it shorted.

Or put in a new one. Turn game on, if coil goes on turn off immediately and figure what next.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/secret-service-pop-bumber-issue?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.