(Topic ID: 159919)

Secret Service owners club - all are welcome!

By s1500

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 347 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by monkfe
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1197 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
Eater2 (resized).png
balleater (resized).jpg
A13B6D43-5DC0-42EA-97F7-0263BCEE514D (resized).jpeg
DB7FB381-4EC1-4519-8393-558716195E0D (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20211202_175140 (resized).jpg
DE older (resized).jpg
DE newest (resized).jpg
20211111_160057_resized (resized).jpg
20211111_155558_resized (resized).jpg
WIN_20211028_11_48_25_Pro (resized).jpg
WIN_20211025_19_41_54_Pro (resized).jpg
29B4C6E1-8ECE-4069-9759-798CD7B3FC36 (resized).jpeg
7F40A64F-79AE-4BF9-820A-A8F69A2D4825 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coincoin88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Hi there,
Stepping in because I have a SS myself that I'm currently repairing. I'm now to the point that the pin is playable but has an erratic behaviour with the target eater (and sometime freezes requiring a reboot, usually just when the first game is initialized). All this is in a separate topic.

Could you tell me how the instant 3 ball should work on this pin, by checking on yours ?
My understanding is that one should open the eater compartment (shooting either all 3 center target 3 times or shooting the correct one at first, when the lamps are cycling through all 3 columns). Then, locking a ball in the eater *should* start the instant 3 ball mode... ? i'm not sure if the game should put the remaining two balls in the shooting lane at once, or how it should work (considering mine has a problem with the eater compartment, I'm trying to understand what it SHOULD do...)

Thanks !

edit: that's assuming you manage to start yours. If I can be of any help... Do you have the manual for the game ? Inside you'll find the correct wiring and notably the colors of each wire (to know to which pin it should go: see p. 31http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2090/Data_East_1988_Secret_Service_Manual.pdf).

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Could you double check when you get time and let me know if I'm correct ?
- Instant 2-ball should be achieved by locking a first ball in the left compartment (white house) through the ramp, then dropping all 5 drop-targets behind the white house (so if you're missing one it's probably be hard)
- Instant 3-balls should be achieved using 1 ball only (not sure about that and it's what I'd like you to check): below the central pop-bumber (representing the Capitol I believe?) are three fixed targets, and below them are 3*3 flashing lamps (blue, red, white). At the beginning of the game, the 3*3 lamps are flashing in columns: hitting the target that has its colum lit will open instantly the right Eater compartment (that's the difficult scoopy shot you mentioned I guess) and the pin will say "Hideout open". The other way to open this compartment is by shotting the "wrong" target (not having its column flashing) and then shooting all target 3 times (2 for the one you first shot). Each time a new lamp will turn on, and when the 9 lamps below the targets are on, the eater opens. And then, when you lock a ball in the Eater... what happens ? Does the pin give you two balls in the shooting lane ? (I'm talking when you DO NOT have any ball locked in the left White House). That's what I'd like to understand.

Thanks, and great to hear your pin is working correctly

#7 7 years ago

Hmmm... That's odd, since the manual and the small 'summary card' on the bottom left (with the instructions)à mention a 3-ball multiball even without having one locked in the white house. However you're right, the jackpot can only be lit by locking a ball in the right eater compartment.

Anyway, it's my understanding. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the 'normal' behaviour should be, to troubleshoot mine.

#8 7 years ago

Well I can comment on my own experience now, since I've been able to fix my pinball over the week-end! (faulty ram chip, although i had changed it already at an earlier stage: guess I fried it during my repair at some point).

Therer are two advertised multi-ball modes, but actually three way of triggerring them:
- "Instant 2-Balls" : lock a ball in the White House (ramp shot) then drop the 5 targets beneath it. The locked ball is released and then you get to play with the 2 balls
- "Instant 3-Balls"... with 2 balls only : open the KGB Hideout (Eater compartment in the upper-right lane) by shooting the 3 hit targets beneath the capitol (either light the 9 lamps by hitting each 3 times, or hit the right one at first when the lights are cycling). Locking a ball there will put a new ball in the shooter lane, and once fired the hideout compartment will release the 1st ball. You then here radio chatter "Roger Air Force 1, ramp cleared for jackpot!". This lights the 'Jackpot' shot that you can score by doing a ramp-shot.
- "Instant 3-Balls"... with 3 balls : first, lock a ball in the White House. Then, exactly the same pattern as above. Both the KGB Hideout and the White House will release the locked balls, and as mentioned above "all hell break loose". Jackpot is available as well, until you lose two balls (which is called 'Back to level 1' by the game).

Funny as hell, I've spent way too much time playing it over the week-end

1 month later
#13 7 years ago

A bit late but maybe that can be of help to you.
For the bulbs in the backbox, the small ones are controlled by (if i recall correctly) 2 fuses that are in the backbox on the right side. The fuse holders are just crappy and should be replaced because depending on where the fuse sits the contact won't happen, or might work intermitently.

Be aware though that only the small bulbs are controled by these fuses. The bigger bulbs are flashers, and are controlled by the solenoid circuits through the CPU board (in the same fashion as the bulbs behind the plastic colored plates on top of the pinball). If none of these light, you should be looking at the solenoid driver transistors (bottom left of the CPU board) or (less likely) the MRB board (inside the cabinet).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coincoin88.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/secret-service-owners-club-all-are-welcome?tu=coincoin88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.