(Topic ID: 159919)

Secret Service owners club - all are welcome!

By s1500

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 347 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by monkfe
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1197 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
Eater2 (resized).png
balleater (resized).jpg
A13B6D43-5DC0-42EA-97F7-0263BCEE514D (resized).jpeg
DB7FB381-4EC1-4519-8393-558716195E0D (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20211202_175140 (resized).jpg
DE older (resized).jpg
DE newest (resized).jpg
20211111_160057_resized (resized).jpg
20211111_155558_resized (resized).jpg
WIN_20211028_11_48_25_Pro (resized).jpg
WIN_20211025_19_41_54_Pro (resized).jpg
29B4C6E1-8ECE-4069-9759-798CD7B3FC36 (resized).jpeg
7F40A64F-79AE-4BF9-820A-A8F69A2D4825 (resized).jpeg
There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 7 years ago

So I picked up a SS recently on an impulse buy. We had to take off the backbox to get it through a narrow stairwell.

I took some pictures of the connectors before disconnecting, but not enough. Went through the wiring diagrams and I think I have most of the connectors hooked up. However, I'm uncertain on a few connectors, notably on the upper-left of the backbox. 5 wires that had no easy Molex connector had to be cut, but I think I have those figured out.

I haven't fired it up since I would rather double & triple check before frying it due to a mis-connection.

Can anyone help? I'm going to do some labeling for sure once everything is 100% set.

#2 7 years ago

I don't have one but would like one, but I have a NOS ball lock full mech assembly

#3 7 years ago

Hi there,
Stepping in because I have a SS myself that I'm currently repairing. I'm now to the point that the pin is playable but has an erratic behaviour with the target eater (and sometime freezes requiring a reboot, usually just when the first game is initialized). All this is in a separate topic.

Could you tell me how the instant 3 ball should work on this pin, by checking on yours ?
My understanding is that one should open the eater compartment (shooting either all 3 center target 3 times or shooting the correct one at first, when the lamps are cycling through all 3 columns). Then, locking a ball in the eater *should* start the instant 3 ball mode... ? i'm not sure if the game should put the remaining two balls in the shooting lane at once, or how it should work (considering mine has a problem with the eater compartment, I'm trying to understand what it SHOULD do...)

Thanks !

edit: that's assuming you manage to start yours. If I can be of any help... Do you have the manual for the game ? Inside you'll find the correct wiring and notably the colors of each wire (to know to which pin it should go: see p. 31http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2090/Data_East_1988_Secret_Service_Manual.pdf).

#4 7 years ago

I got it together last night & it's working great now. Double & triple checking the wiring diagrams for colors did it for me.

I did get instant 3-ball multiball on sheer luck. I know for sure it doesn't involve drop targets since one is missing on mine.
What triggered the multiball mode, if I'm remembering right, was that difficult scoopy shot on the right & all hell broke loose.
When it happened, it just launched 1 ball into the shooter lane, and once that was in play, it released the other 2 balls.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Could you double check when you get time and let me know if I'm correct ?
- Instant 2-ball should be achieved by locking a first ball in the left compartment (white house) through the ramp, then dropping all 5 drop-targets behind the white house (so if you're missing one it's probably be hard)
- Instant 3-balls should be achieved using 1 ball only (not sure about that and it's what I'd like you to check): below the central pop-bumber (representing the Capitol I believe?) are three fixed targets, and below them are 3*3 flashing lamps (blue, red, white). At the beginning of the game, the 3*3 lamps are flashing in columns: hitting the target that has its colum lit will open instantly the right Eater compartment (that's the difficult scoopy shot you mentioned I guess) and the pin will say "Hideout open". The other way to open this compartment is by shotting the "wrong" target (not having its column flashing) and then shooting all target 3 times (2 for the one you first shot). Each time a new lamp will turn on, and when the 9 lamps below the targets are on, the eater opens. And then, when you lock a ball in the Eater... what happens ? Does the pin give you two balls in the shooting lane ? (I'm talking when you DO NOT have any ball locked in the left White House). That's what I'd like to understand.

Thanks, and great to hear your pin is working correctly

#6 7 years ago

CoinCoin88 I just played mine the other night with my wife and she got the standard two ball which released the ball that was held on the left side behind the white house. (Standard two ball multiball) During my turn I never locked that ball again but got the hideout open and locked the ball and I ended up with just a two ball multiball but the jackpot was lit for the ramp shot which I never got. I think that is the only differance if you get standard multiball and knock down the drop targets you get extra ball if you get multiball via the hideout you get a chance at the jackpot via the ramp.
Joe

#7 7 years ago

Hmmm... That's odd, since the manual and the small 'summary card' on the bottom left (with the instructions)à mention a 3-ball multiball even without having one locked in the white house. However you're right, the jackpot can only be lit by locking a ball in the right eater compartment.

Anyway, it's my understanding. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the 'normal' behaviour should be, to troubleshoot mine.

#8 7 years ago

Well I can comment on my own experience now, since I've been able to fix my pinball over the week-end! (faulty ram chip, although i had changed it already at an earlier stage: guess I fried it during my repair at some point).

Therer are two advertised multi-ball modes, but actually three way of triggerring them:
- "Instant 2-Balls" : lock a ball in the White House (ramp shot) then drop the 5 targets beneath it. The locked ball is released and then you get to play with the 2 balls
- "Instant 3-Balls"... with 2 balls only : open the KGB Hideout (Eater compartment in the upper-right lane) by shooting the 3 hit targets beneath the capitol (either light the 9 lamps by hitting each 3 times, or hit the right one at first when the lights are cycling). Locking a ball there will put a new ball in the shooter lane, and once fired the hideout compartment will release the 1st ball. You then here radio chatter "Roger Air Force 1, ramp cleared for jackpot!". This lights the 'Jackpot' shot that you can score by doing a ramp-shot.
- "Instant 3-Balls"... with 3 balls : first, lock a ball in the White House. Then, exactly the same pattern as above. Both the KGB Hideout and the White House will release the locked balls, and as mentioned above "all hell break loose". Jackpot is available as well, until you lose two balls (which is called 'Back to level 1' by the game).

Funny as hell, I've spent way too much time playing it over the week-end

#9 7 years ago

Mine is working the same as yours CoinCoin88 we played mine during a get together this weekend and I saw all three modes.
Joe

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

OK, dumb question, but I would rather ask instead of breaking a bunch of stuff on it. How the heck do you lift the playfield all the way up? I'm assuming it's pull up a bit, pull back and up(like any other pin), but it's not budging. Saw some scrape marks on how it may have been lifted before, but it looks like the back of the PF would smack the circuit board in the bottom-back of the cab.

Either way, got a bunch of parts on order from marco for it. Great customer service there.

#11 7 years ago

Another question(I got the pf up): can someone take a picture of the 5 drop targets up? I'm wondering what stickers go where.
Yesterday was spent rebuilding the drop target assembly. One target was broken(which I found in the cab), and cleaned up of grease/etc.

#12 7 years ago

It's up an running.

However, all the big light bulbs(mostly on the back box, one in the middle-left) aren't working. Where should I start looking?

2 weeks later
#13 7 years ago

A bit late but maybe that can be of help to you.
For the bulbs in the backbox, the small ones are controlled by (if i recall correctly) 2 fuses that are in the backbox on the right side. The fuse holders are just crappy and should be replaced because depending on where the fuse sits the contact won't happen, or might work intermitently.

Be aware though that only the small bulbs are controled by these fuses. The bigger bulbs are flashers, and are controlled by the solenoid circuits through the CPU board (in the same fashion as the bulbs behind the plastic colored plates on top of the pinball). If none of these light, you should be looking at the solenoid driver transistors (bottom left of the CPU board) or (less likely) the MRB board (inside the cabinet).

11 months later
#14 6 years ago

Got one for. Sale on market now check it out let me know if yall are interested

#15 6 years ago

I ran across the most unbelievably nice Secret Service at a garage sale last year. Had never heard of the title before and thought it looked kinda neat with the vac-formed buildings and sports car, which I though was just a Matchbox or Hot Wheels that someone had stuck under the glass. The machine looked practically new, like it had only been out of the box and played for a couple of months, it was that nice. I wrote down the owner's name & phone, figuring I would call after I watched a few youtube videos to decide whether it was a decent game or not, went home, and promptly lost the paper and forgot where his house was. Cut to today, I'm going thru my home office getting ready to move, and voila, there's his name & number! Gonna call tomorrow to see if he still has the machine.

2 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Curious if anyone knows hoe the topper is controlled. Mine isnt working, bulbs are all good in them. I have the connector underneath connected, what fuse does it go to? Is #89 bulbs correct? 12v or 18v? I dont have a schematic handy, but i tried looking it up and cant find anything on the topper. Thanks for any help

#17 6 years ago

I enjoy Secret Service, fun game.

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

Just joined the club yesterday. Can't wait to dive in!

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Curious if anyone knows hoe the topper is controlled. Mine isnt working, bulbs are all good in them. I have the connector underneath connected, what fuse does it go to? Is #89 bulbs correct? 12v or 18v? I dont have a schematic handy, but i tried looking it up and cant find anything on the topper. Thanks for any help

Yes #89 bulbs. These are connected in pairs to flash lamps on the playfield. Pg 22 in the manual gives a handy diagram. There's nothing really unique about topper control. All the flash lamps are run through ballast resistors on the mega resistor board on the last page of the manual. In fact, I'll be working on my topper as well, because that's one of the items not working on my new project.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

My first cosmetic repair while waiting for a parts order. My speaker grills were punctured and damaged. I found Darice plastic canvas mesh at a local craft store for less than a buck a sheet.

IMG_20170628_153935646 (resized).jpgIMG_20170628_153935646 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Just joined the club yesterday. Can't wait to dive in!

Yes #89 bulbs. These are connected in pairs to flash lamps on the playfield. Pg 22 in the manual gives a handy diagram. There's nothing really unique about topper control. All the flash lamps are run through ballast resistors on the mega resistor board on the last page of the manual. In fact, I'll be working on my topper as well, because that's one of the items not working on my new project.

I fixed the topper - found a couple of cracked connector pins on the underside of the mega resistor board. I don't know exactly which one because there were about 3 cracked pin solder joints and they were on different connectors. I also had 9 of 10 bad bulbs!

#21 6 years ago

Have parts on order to rebuild the drain post, just looking for a pic of spring placement on a working unit to make sure I get it right.

#22 6 years ago

All 100% now. Just some cosmetics to address in the future. Fast game!

19247861_10211256665390085_2399571616437954560_n (resized).jpg19247861_10211256665390085_2399571616437954560_n (resized).jpg

1 month later
#23 6 years ago

I've sorta joined, I just had three of these in the garage all at the same time and I'm just down to one that I may keep for myself. I'm trying to locate someone that sells the round silhouette stickers that are yellow for the three center round targets. So far I'm not having much luck other then Ebay....ugh. I'd like to find someone that can sell me those and the drop target stickers as well. Anyone got a source ?

John

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Gonna call tomorrow to see if he still has the machine.

We'll don't keep us waiting.....what happened ?

John

3 months later
#25 6 years ago

I am looking for a black plastic ramp in good shape (if there is such a thing). Mine could really use to be replaced. Thanks.

3 weeks later
#26 6 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone,
Just picked up a SS and excited to start my restore I'm in need of a topper anyone know of one that is available ?
Or can someone send some details pics and measurements and ill try to re-create one.
Also looking for the Black Plastic Ramp 515-5068-00 and its cover. I can probably remake the cover if someone could send a tracing of it.

Thanks
Bruce

1 month later
#27 6 years ago

Bought a replacement Capital and need the stickers for it. Anyone set these up to print out or know where I could get a set?

#secret-service

7 months later
#28 5 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the capital and the White House models? This game plays ultra fast! The ball goes airborne. I can see how the plastics get broken.

#29 5 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the white house or capital models for

#secret-service

#30 5 years ago

I am fixing mine with fiber glass via Vid1900 post. Would love some new ones to save time and I am in need of decals. Anyone have the coin door decal? Also the firing targets? Course I will take whatever I can get.
Mike

1 week later
#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Surf_Champ:

Does anyone have a source for the white house or capital models for
Secret Service

I just got unpainted white house building from bay area amusements in august

#32 5 years ago

so i'm in .got my secret service a month ago .all the way from the stella brewery in germany. resto under way ,boards and cabinet mainly , and I need a plastic ramp like most . thinking of morphing a STTNG delta ramp in there until I find one. it will fit , just need to chop it and dress it up like secret service ramp. don't panic i'm not chopping up a good ramp , as its cracked at the entrance and exit. both get chopped off. i'll take photos if anyone is interested

3 weeks later
#33 5 years ago

Having to part with my secret service. Interested in what fair value is. Brand new alpha numeric display. Ramp plays fine but not in great shape. Have replacement plastic for capital. Any suggestions for fair price. I have like 1500 into it but had it a while and had a blast with it.

00892D25-CBD0-4271-89FA-2232C33CFFAB (resized).jpeg00892D25-CBD0-4271-89FA-2232C33CFFAB (resized).jpeg32CC7C24-F0FB-4A91-8440-1FF9D6FA49BF (resized).jpeg32CC7C24-F0FB-4A91-8440-1FF9D6FA49BF (resized).jpeg3B9BB43A-222F-4153-8B92-74C5A68E8C11 (resized).jpeg3B9BB43A-222F-4153-8B92-74C5A68E8C11 (resized).jpegB947D8C3-73CB-41F6-BD93-A4A8E9ED5FD8 (resized).jpegB947D8C3-73CB-41F6-BD93-A4A8E9ED5FD8 (resized).jpegC0E44177-A78C-4AA5-B870-9FBB1B669D7C (resized).jpegC0E44177-A78C-4AA5-B870-9FBB1B669D7C (resized).jpeg
#34 5 years ago
Quoted from stlmo:

Having to part with my secret service. Interested in what fair value is. Brand new alpha numeric display. Ramp plays fine but not in great shape. Have replacement plastic for capital. Any suggestions for fair price. I have like 1500 into it but had it a while and had a blast with it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Without seeing in person based on pictures and this small bit of description, i would say it's probably valued around $1200.

#35 5 years ago

Looks like the one I rebuilt a long while ago... I remember selling it for less than 1000 but since the pinball market has gone crazy, I'd say 1200 sounds about right.

1 month later
#36 5 years ago

Hello Secret Service owners:
Looking for the decal that is on the back of the cabinet on the outside near the head latch assy. If someone could post a pic of it, would love to make a repo.
Mike

#37 5 years ago

I'll take a look at mine and see if its there
I do have this image if anyone needs it.

SS Backdrop with lights.pdfSS Backdrop with lights.pdf
#38 5 years ago

I could use a 1to1 scan of the plastic ramp cover if anyone has it. Mine is missing.

Thanks
Bruce

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

I could use a 1to1 scan of the plastic ramp cover if anyone has it. Mine is missing.
Thanks
Bruce

Are you referring to the plastic with the jet near the Jefferson memorial? IF yes, then I can make that for you. Let me know.
Mike

#40 5 years ago

That would be awesome . Yes it covers the black ramp. see pic

Thanks
Bruce

ramp cover (resized).pngramp cover (resized).png
#41 5 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

That would be awesome . Yes it covers the black ramp. see pic
Thanks
Bruce
[quoted image]

no problem. I am under the weather, but get it made soon.
Mike

#42 5 years ago

Is there any interest in reproduction Ball Eater bracket. I have designed it based from a great condition never used NOS assembly. It would be solid laser sintered 3D printed solid nylon.

Shapeways would make them as one offs in Black and Blue for Mousin Around and Secret Service games.

Due to the size the price works out roughly at $70USD from Shapeways.

Would people pay for this?

Ball Eater (resized).pngBall Eater (resized).png
#43 5 years ago

I have a ss game that the up post in-between the 2 front flippers won't stay down. It tries to pop down but doesn't seem to catch. Every great once in a while it will catch and stay down, but mostly just pops back up again. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

IMG_0337 (resized).jpegIMG_0337 (resized).jpeg
#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Jen1015:

I have a ss game that the up post in-between the 2 front flippers won't stay down. It tries to pop down but doesn't seem to catch. Every great once in a while it will catch and stay down, but mostly just pops back up again. Does anyone know what might be the problem?
[quoted image]

Try adjusting the spring tension on the cam. The alternator plastic cams wear though, mine needed to be replaced. Finding them can be difficult. I bought the last one that Action Pinball had in stock.

#45 5 years ago

@jen1015 I think I have the complete assembly for the pop up post if you need or if anyone else would like a spare PM me for price with shipping.
Joe

#46 5 years ago

Evening everyone,
Can someone please give me the dimensions and thickness of the translite glass i need to have a new piece made.
also anyone know the part number or where to get the standoffs for the score display .

Thanks
Bruce

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Evening everyone,
Can someone please give me the dimensions and thickness of the translite glass i need to have a new piece made.
also anyone know the part number or where to get the standoffs for the score display .
Thanks
Bruce

don't have glass but have translate-28 3/8" x 20 7/8" .i'm going to up it 1/8 , have measured box and will be nice fit . 1/8" thick . marco have got the standoffs . Search-PS-BHDL801 . ENJOY

#48 5 years ago

Thanks for the info ..Now i have a LED question. I am working on updating all the lights to led but ran into an issue with the *89"flasher " bulbs
I had an issue with the 6 pin connectors being burnt so i replaced then and the changed all the 89's to led and now they are all on all the time and at certain times some of them do flash. Is there something i need to change in the wiring or do i have another issue ?

thanks
Bruce

2 weeks later
#49 5 years ago

evening everyone,
Just wanted to update : everything seems to be working correctly now : )
Now just have to finish a few minor decal updates and if someone can send me some detailed pics of the bar or wood piece that is just above the blue and white strobes at the back of the pin i would greatly appreciate it . Currently with the glass in place i have about a 5/8 inch gap where i can see behind the strobes so I'm guessing I'm missing the filler piece.

Thanks
Bruce

#50 5 years ago

Oh and thanks trumpy for the dimensions of the glass got mine ordered the other day.

Bruce

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/secret-service-owners-club-all-are-welcome?hl=trumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.