(Topic ID: 159919)

Secret Service owners club - all are welcome!

By s1500

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 363 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Karthag
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1197 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
Eater2 (resized).png
balleater (resized).jpg
A13B6D43-5DC0-42EA-97F7-0263BCEE514D (resized).jpeg
DB7FB381-4EC1-4519-8393-558716195E0D (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20211202_175140 (resized).jpg
DE older (resized).jpg
DE newest (resized).jpg
20211111_160057_resized (resized).jpg
20211111_155558_resized (resized).jpg
WIN_20211028_11_48_25_Pro (resized).jpg
WIN_20211025_19_41_54_Pro (resized).jpg
29B4C6E1-8ECE-4069-9759-798CD7B3FC36 (resized).jpeg
7F40A64F-79AE-4BF9-820A-A8F69A2D4825 (resized).jpeg
There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 66 days ago

The big problem is that they seem to have jacked the ramp up rather than re-cast the mold.

I did a restoration of a SS last summer. The owner somehow tracked down an OEM ramp - I tried, you guys. I asked all the ramp makers, but nobody wanted to touch it. It’s a really weird and brittle design, and would be hard to make a new mold for. So, I used it in the restoration, but not before going to bat for the community to try and find someone who would make repros. Alas.

Anyhow…the old ramp in the game I worked on was heavily damaged, and it was clear that the ramp had been raised in such a way that it out a lot of stress on it. The metal bracket where the ramp meets the wireform is clearly much higher than where the ramp would land on its own. I ended up making a custom bracket which would not stress the ramp.

The upside of this is that, with the additional use of Cliffys, the new ramp should last a long time. The down side is, the reason they jacked up the ramp is pretty clearly set up that way because the ball has a tendency to get stuck at that transition to the worefomif the hit isn’t clean enough.

DE was still figuring stuff out when they made SS. Which is a pity, because the game is really super fun when it’s dialed in right. Somebody would have to go to considerable effort to make an improved ramp design, but there would probably have to be a number of buyers lined up before anyone would take this on.

#352 66 days ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

The big problem is that they seem to have jacked the ramp up rather than re-cast the mold.
I did a restoration of a SS last summer. The owner somehow tracked down an OEM ramp - I tried, you guys. I asked all the ramp makers, but nobody wanted to touch it. It’s a really weird and brittle design, and would be hard to make a new mold for. So, I used it in the restoration, but not before going to bat for the community to try and find someone who would make repros. Alas.
Anyhow…the old ramp in the game I worked on was heavily damaged, and it was clear that the ramp had been raised in such a way that it out a lot of stress on it. The metal bracket where the ramp meets the wireform is clearly much higher than where the ramp would land on its own. I ended up making a custom bracket which would not stress the ramp.
The upside of this is that, with the additional use of Cliffys, the new ramp should last a long time. The down side is, the reason they jacked up the ramp is pretty clearly set up that way because the ball has a tendency to get stuck at that transition to the worefomif the hit isn’t clean enough.
DE was still figuring stuff out when they made SS. Which is a pity, because the game is really super fun when it’s dialed in right. Somebody would have to go to considerable effort to make an improved ramp design, but there would probably have to be a number of buyers lined up before anyone would take this on.

I did the same as far as reaching out to the regular ramp makers, no dice. I just 3d printed out a Stargate ramp, it was a lot of measuring and testing. I could have done this for this ramp as well, but I sold the machine recently so I don't have it to reference anymore. I think in the three years I had the machine, I only saw two ramps come up for sale. This doesn't bode well for the future of this machine. The Cliffy does help though.

#353 66 days ago

If Jody is interested in reproducing a ramp, I have the game setup.in shop not doing much at the moment. Far as I know, ramp is in great shape.

#354 65 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If Jody is interested in reproducing a ramp, I have the game setup.in shop not doing much at the moment. Far as I know, ramp is in great shape.

I reached out to him, wasn't interested

2 weeks later
#355 52 days ago

I'm working on a Secret Service that has 3 switches that don't work. #25,#26 and #32. They are all on the same Row. I'm trying to check that all the switches in this row are connected and that are are no breaks in the daisy chain. Switch # 27 is listed as Left 310 Point on the switch diagram and Left 10 point on the row/column chart. But it doesn't show switch 27 on the switch playfield drawing. Can someone tell where this switch is on the playfield ?

Thanks
Billy

#356 52 days ago

Pinsound just came out with a sound board for this machine....fyi

#357 51 days ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Pinsound just came out with a sound board for this machine....fyi

Are you volunteering to do a custom sound file?

#358 51 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Are you volunteering to do a custom sound file?

No, I sold my game, but would have if I kept it...but it was a re-theme so not sure anyone would be interested...

2 weeks later
#359 35 days ago

Do you know the actual size of the back glass? I need to replace mine.

1 week later
#360 25 days ago

Finally got a chance to really play mine tonight other than just a game here or there since getting a couple months ago (a lot of travel)

all I can say is “sooo pair speeen air”

Got the jackpots with light show loving this game..so underrated!

Thought it compared a lot to my old High Speed… does but it blows it away. I’m going to move it into my main room now and park it next to my Bond 007.

My buddy has a mint torpedo alley and hook and he’s coming over Friday to play it along with laser war should be a good de night

1 week later
#361 18 days ago
Quoted from JWilberdog:

Thought it compared a lot to my old High Speed… does but it blows it away.

I agree - it’s a rare instance where the knock off table exceeds the playability of the original game. The spinner action alone is crazy fun. I love a good orbit-centric game.

If the art was better I think the game would have more of a following.

If you ever get to the point of clear coating your playfield, you’re gonna be laughing your ass off at how fast and crazy the game gets.

#362 15 days ago

I have it set to 7.6 and it flies. Tough to make a lot of shots, especially right orbit but it can be done…”soopair speener”.

MI and get smart get peoples attention but its the cheese of Carly Simon and “nobody does it better” that really crack people up….especially the baby baby and alphanumeric at the end

1 week later
#363 8 days ago

Question about isolation transformers:

I have a Secret Service that’s been in Ontario Canada since production. It’s has a transformer in it. What are the pros and cons of removing it? I’ve seen both keep and removed suggested but no explanation for why?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Columbia, MD
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 363 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.