Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Smitty13
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys I just bought a Secret Service and I'm in the middle of shopping it out and fixing things. A couple of issues I'm trying to figure out. One there is a pretty loud hum all the time. Not sure if this is infamous "Data East" hum or not. If it is, how do I fix it? Second issue is during the "Secret Agent Man" theme during game play the song seems to change tempo and pitch mid song. Is this normal or something malfunctioning? Seems weird to program it that way. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from renoman22:

Hey guys I just bought a Secret Service and I'm in the middle of shopping it out and fixing things. A couple of issues I'm trying to figure out. One there is a pretty loud hum all the time. Not sure if this is infamous "Data East" hum or not. If it is, how do I fix it? Second issue is during the "Secret Agent Man" theme during game play the song seems to change tempo and pitch mid song. Is this normal or something malfunctioning? Seems weird to program it that way. Thanks!

I’ve been having sound issues too with sounds getting faster or slower and I’m pretty sure it’s the caps on the soundboard that need to be replaced

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’ve been having sound issues too with sounds getting faster or slower and I’m pretty sure it’s the caps on the soundboard that need to be replaced

Mine only does it on the "secret agent man" theme. Really weird. I wonder if a new rottendog sound board would fix the hum and the sound problem?

#4 4 years ago

Mine changes tempo too. I believe it's when I'm knocking targets though. Haven't really had enough play time yet to verify.

I've got hum too. I gound a few loose bolts on the boards, etc, helped out a lot. Probably half as bad now.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Mine changes tempo too. I believe it's when I'm knocking targets though. Haven't really had enough play time yet to verify.
I've got hum too. I gound a few loose bolts on the boards, etc, helped out a lot. Probably half as bad now.

"Right! I noticed that too! Mine usually does it when I am hitting stuff. Weird. I did the same tonight. I tightened all the screws on the sound board. None made a difference until the last one (upper left). I tightened it crazy tight and it cut the hum in half. But it is still there. I wonder if you could take some braided ground wire and add it under that screw and ground it to the back?

#6 4 years ago

Here's what the sound is doing. Notice how the tempo and pitch changes.

#7 4 years ago

After watching several videos on YouTube it looks like maybe it's supposed to do that on "Secret Agent Man". Only when it hits targets. If you take the balls out and just let it play it doesn't change pitch or tempo. Very strange that they would design it that way. But maybe they did.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from renoman22:

After watching several videos on YouTube it looks like maybe it's supposed to do that on "Secret Agent Man". Only when it hits targets. If you take the balls out and just let it play it doesn't change pitch or tempo. Very strange that they would design it that way. But maybe they did.Yeah, I think it was DE's way of enhancing stress, like those early SS games (Flash maybe?) where the tone would just keep getting faster.

1 year later
#9 3 years ago

Has anyone had trouble with the kick save not working when the call outs are happening? The light is lit but nothing happens. It seems to work fine every other time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/secret-service-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.