Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Looking for a difficult, stripped down game good for coop/2+ players ”

• Nightmare castle 0 votes
    • TNA 0 votes
    • MAIDEN(pro) 0 votes

(0 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ollulanus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 1 year ago

Maiden is excellent once you get a feel for it, I didn't like it much at first either. However, ultimately it's similar enough to Godzilla that it's probably not what you're after. You were on the right track off the bat. Centaur and TNA are great; a good classic, straightforward pin is a great palate cleanser from a long player like GZ, and both of those are awesome. Others to consider:

Seawitch, Meteor, Stars, Ali
    Black Knight, firepower
    Black Hole, Haunted House

Alice Cooper is great too, if you want something more modern but very different from GZ.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

You totally get where I was coming from! Thank you Ollulanus! Yes, totally looking for a stripped down experience. I’m totally trying to balance and vary the collection.
    Which black knight were you referring to?

Original or 2K Black Knight. I do like BKSOR, but those are a better contrast to GZ.

Honestly, it's not to hard to move pins nowadays, and with older stuff you're looking at the 2-3k range or less, other than a few desirable ones like centaur/fathom, or rare stuff like Star Gazer. Sounds like you were budgeting around twice that - I'd just pickup the first TWO games under 3k that sound kinda interesting, play till bored and trade or sell for something else until something sticks. Worst case right now in that price range you lose a few hundred bucks to get something to move quicker, and I figure a couple hundred to "rent" something at home and see if I like it is a good deal.

Glancing at the marketplace this morning, I see an FP and FP2 up in your area. My in-laws have firepower 2 and I quite enjoy it, though I think I prefer the original on the whole.

#64 1 year ago

If space is at a premium, some other things to consider:

1. This won't be a permanent add, and shouldn't be. With that in mind, I'd worry less about exactly what I got and just make sure I picked something up that wasn't too hard to get rid of at a reasonable price. TNA, for example, is a great game but may be difficult to move unless you're willing to take a fair loss. I'd love to have one, but I could pick up a centaur and a firepower for that - think a lot of folks feel that way unfortunately.

2. On that note, you might do well to think more in terms of what you'd be okay with spending to "rent" a game for 2-4 months. As in, if you're OK with losing $500, $1000, whatever in order to sell/trade for whatever you want next. That makes it a lot easier to figure out what you'd be okay with bringing home to try out for a while. You can probably pickup a TNA for 7-8 right now; at 6-7 you could sell one pretty fast.

3. Everyone beats up on virtual pins, but maybe consider picking up a really nice one for a while? It's "not pinball," but it is a GREAT way to try out tables and see what you might really want to bring home from the older stuff. The custom build ones can be pretty cool, but even the smaller at games Legends gives you a way to checkout rulesets and play feel for things, and they are practically giving those away right now.

My 2 cents - talk that guy selling the centaur in Jersey down a few hundred bucks (playfield looks beat up). It's a GREAT game, you know you like it, and it's popular enough it won't be too hard to move if you get board. Or, if you love it, you can learn to do a playfield swap and order one from CPR

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Centaur is generally considered more desirable than TNA? Hmm.
    I’m new to the pinball hobby so I really don’t understand buying something and thinking that it’ll retain or sustain its value. I always considered it more like a car in that once you drive it off the lot that the value slowly depreciates. I don’t get buying something and thinking it’ll be worth more. I considered selling for a moment godzilla before I opened it to see if there was anyone desperate enough to buy it for like $12k but then thought that there was nothing else I’d rather own than that since my wife and I unanimously enjoyed it more then anything else we played. I couldn’t be happier.
    What I’m saying is, I’m fine with taking a loss if need be. I don’t consider pinball an investment but something that will give me enjoyment. I’d rather buy a kick ass game that I love and will cherish than buy something I kinda like that I can offload at a small gain or come out even on.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying - don't plan on making money or breaking even, just figure out what you're willing to lose moving on to the next pin if space is tight. Trust me, very few games are gonna be so amazing you want to keep them forever if you can only have two. Just too many good games out there. I kinda think in terms of "renting" - what am I cool with spending to have this game around 3-6m (i.e., losing when I sell it)? If I only ever brought home the one I wanted most, I'd either never get a new one or bring home 5 at a time

That said, if you're smart and patient on a decent deal, most pins retain their value pretty well nowadays.

And I don't know if Centaur or TNA is "more desirable;" both are well appreciated but I think at 4-6k it's easier to move a centaur if you get bored with it than a TNA at 7-9k. Also, I love me some centaur

#77 1 year ago

Also, FYI: if you look up any game on pinside and scroll down, you can see all the archived ads for it - if they sold, how fast, and how much (some folks don't disclose that though). Pretty easy to figure out how easy it'll be to sell or trade something if you decide you don't like it. If you get sick of GZ it could be gone tomorrow for the same or more than you have in it; buy a Mando NIB and you better learn to love it or plan to spend a month trying to sell it for a lot less than you paid

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:Centaur 2 is essentially the same game as the original except the DMD front panel?

It's not a DMD; it's a different style of cab entirely. Leftovers from a game called rapid fire, they did a run of centaur and eight ball deluxe in it. As far as I know, the games are identical except for the head style. They're a bit more of a bother to move, but they go for about half the cost of a regular centaur and play the same I believe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ollulanus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/second-purchase-advice-?tu=Ollulanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.