Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Looking for a difficult, stripped down game good for coop/2+ players ”

• Nightmare castle 0 votes
    • TNA 0 votes
    • MAIDEN(pro) 0 votes

(0 votes)

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

Hi, anyone have any recommendations on what title I should buy next? Looking for my second game, something that is completely different from godzilla. Was thinking TNA, Centaur. Any suggestions? Thanks and happy new year!

#2 1 year ago

I suggest finding a location to visit to play all the games you’re interested in. Buy the one you enjoy most!

You could buy a game from another company for a different experience.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I suggest finding a location to visit to play all the games you’re interested in. Buy the one you enjoy most!
    You could buy a game from another company for a different experience.

I’ve played plenty games. I’m specifically looking to target a game that’s completely different though. No toys, less fancy etc. just looking for game recommendations

#4 1 year ago

Hundreds of games to pick from. Do you want something brand new or an older game?

Do you want something fast and brutal?

Stern Iron Man, stern Black Knight SOR pro, spooky TNA.

#5 1 year ago

I want something totally different than Godzilla.

#6 1 year ago

Humpty Dumpty

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I want something totally different than Godzilla.

Godzillabis different than most everything... So take your pick and it will be different than Godzilla.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Humpty Dumpty

Well, maybe not that different lol

#10 1 year ago

I was thinking that but I played it and I wasn’t feeling it, I just didn’t think much of it. Maybe it’s one of those slow burn/grows on you/ takes time to appreciate games?

#11 1 year ago

Rick and Morty

#12 1 year ago

Rick and Morty
    ANY 80’s Stern or Bally

#13 1 year ago

Ghostbusters!

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from SR230CC:

Rick and Morty

Hmmm, That’s interesting, I haven’t seen that one yet because I’m not acquainted with the theme. Is there a reskin of that similar to Halloween and ultra-man?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:Hmmm, That’s interesting, I haven’t seen that one yet because I’m not acquainted with the theme. Is there a reskin of that similar to Halloween and ultra-man?

One of the greatest themes ever IMO, and also one of the best then integrations in pinball. There’s some greats and R&M is up there with them

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Rick and Morty
    ANY 80’s Stern or Bally

Was thinking that too but wanted to have specific games that are ubiquitous so there’s plenty mods, kits available

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

One of the greatest themes ever IMO, and also one of the best then integrations in pinball. There’s some greats and R&M is up there with them

It does look sweet but a little too expensive for a theme that doesn’t do it for me (:

#18 1 year ago

Led Zeppelin. It’ll grow on you slowly and surely….

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kalipin:

Led Zeppelin. It’ll grow on you slowly and surely….

Probably can be had for cheap too I’m thinking. Premium or pro?

#20 1 year ago

TNA, LZ, Beatles or CENTAUR?

#21 1 year ago

Go for a classic then. Addams Family, attack from mars, medieval madness, Twilight zone. Any Williams bally game really as you have stern covered.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Beatles easy

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Beatles is my favorite of those but it’s polarizing as some people don’t care for it at all. I liked LZ for a few weeks but then got kinda bored of it, guests did not care for it one bit. TNA is great of you have people to play with. Ha I also have a very nice TNA to sell if interested

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Beatles is my favorite of those but it’s polarizing as some people don’t care for it at all. I liked LZ for a few weeks but then got kinda bored of it, guests did not care for it one bit. TNA is great of you have people to play with. Ha I also have a very nice TNA to sell if interested

I’ll definitely check it out if it’s listed

#25 1 year ago

Is maiden a game that grows on you? I was so excited to play it since I love the band and it was a big wet fart

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Is maiden a game that grows on you? I was so excited to play it since I love the band and it was a big wet fart

Just move on.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I was so excited to play it since I love the band and it was a big wet fart

That good eh?

#28 1 year ago

I’m hoping the rumors about pulp fiction are true. That it’s a very simple, vintage, old school inspired machine

#29 1 year ago

Maiden is excellent once you get a feel for it, I didn't like it much at first either. However, ultimately it's similar enough to Godzilla that it's probably not what you're after. You were on the right track off the bat. Centaur and TNA are great; a good classic, straightforward pin is a great palate cleanser from a long player like GZ, and both of those are awesome. Others to consider:

Seawitch, Meteor, Stars, Ali
    Black Knight, firepower
    Black Hole, Haunted House

Alice Cooper is great too, if you want something more modern but very different from GZ.

#30 1 year ago

Doctor Who

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Maiden is excellent once you get a feel for it, I didn't like it much at first either. However, ultimately it's similar enough to Godzilla that it's probably not what you're after. You were on the right track off the bat. Centaur and TNA are great; a good classic, straightforward pin is a great palate cleanser from a long player like GZ, and both of those are awesome. Others to consider:
    Black Knight, firepower
    Alice Cooper is great too, if you want something more modern but very different from GZ.

You totally get where I was coming from! Thank you Ollulanus! Yes, totally looking for a stripped down experience. I’m totally trying to balance and vary the collection.

Which black knight were you referring to?

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

You totally get where I was coming from! Thank you Ollulanus! Yes, totally looking for a stripped down experience. I’m totally trying to balance and vary the collection.

I would go one of a few ways:

1) get an early SS game
    Centaur is great, so is EBD, Flash Gordon, fathom, and paragon

2) get a Bally/Williams
    TZ, TAF, MM, MB, or AFM tend to have worldwide appeal. 3 of those have TERRIFIC remakes that I would highly recommend.

3) get an EM
    They are simplistic, yet brutal. I prefer ones with drop targets.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would go one of a few ways:
    1) get an early SS game
    Centaur is great, so is EBD, Flash Gordon, fathom, and paragon
    2) get a Bally/Williams
    TZ, TAF, MM, MB, or AFM tend to have worldwide appeal. 3 of those have TERRIFIC remakes that I would highly recommend.
    3) get an EM
    They are simplistic, yet brutal. I prefer ones with drop targets.

Thanks !

The new fathom could definitely be awesome.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Black Knight, firepower

I have been looking at Alice for forever now and can’t find it anywhere on location near me. It looks super cool but reviews have been so over the place on it. And if it is anything like R Zombie or Heavy metal it would not be for me

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I’ll definitely check it out if it’s listed

It’s in my market archives. I put it up for a day last week and then took it down temporarily because I have family in town and they are enjoying playing it. Still technically available for sale.

On the Maiden piece, maybe not the best to differentiate from Godzilla but it is an awesome game. Worth playing for a bit to get used to. Ha just spent a chunk of time playing it tonight!

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I have been looking at Alice for forever now and can’t find it anywhere on location near me. It looks super cool but reviews have been so over the place on it. And if it is anything like R Zombie or Heavy metal it would not be for me

ACNC is an incredible game. It is gorgeous with phenomenal lighting, toys, call outs, and music.
    The only real knock on it is that it's hard. Well...guess what? Easy games get super boring in a home environment. Most people need a challenge.

People say they want a tough game for the home environment, then we they get one, they complain. I don't get it...........

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Original or 2K Black Knight. I do like BKSOR, but those are a better contrast to GZ.

Honestly, it's not to hard to move pins nowadays, and with older stuff you're looking at the 2-3k range or less, other than a few desirable ones like centaur/fathom, or rare stuff like Star Gazer. Sounds like you were budgeting around twice that - I'd just pickup the first TWO games under 3k that sound kinda interesting, play till bored and trade or sell for something else until something sticks. Worst case right now in that price range you lose a few hundred bucks to get something to move quicker, and I figure a couple hundred to "rent" something at home and see if I like it is a good deal.

Glancing at the marketplace this morning, I see an FP and FP2 up in your area. My in-laws have firepower 2 and I quite enjoy it, though I think I prefer the original on the whole.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Ah yes, the $10,000 question- what pin to buy.

I own all the mainstream spike 2 Sterns, 3 Spooky, 2 AP, JJP GNR, and one PB (Alien). I’ve had my share of 90s games, but they aren’t for me.

Recently I picked up TNA- it is simple, with simple code and shots. Rinse and repeat and I mean rinse and repeat! “Street level” with no ramps- no amazing mechs. The game table is a bit shorter than most other pins. Reliability is ok. But….it is so FUN. Very fast with great music and sound system-really a wonderful experience. Co-op (you can do this by yourself, but much more fun with others) mode is cool.

That’s my choice. But I am also 63 years old with bad eyesight, arthritis, etc… Screw anyone else’s opinions (including mine) and buy the game you like! Good luck and I hope you will share with us your choice…by the way you might as well think about game #3.

Cheers!

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

It’s in my market archives. I put it up for a day last week and then took it down temporarily because I have family in town and they are enjoying playing it. Still technically available for sale.
    On the Maiden piece, maybe not the best to differentiate from Godzilla but it is an awesome game. Worth playing for a bit to get used to. Ha just spent a chunk of time playing it tonight!

Wow what a collection you have.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from GranpaDave:

Ah yes, the $10,000 question- what pin to buy.
    I own all the mainstream spike 2 Sterns, 3 Spooky, 2 AP, JJP GNR, and one PB (Alien). I’ve had my share of 90s games, but they aren’t for me.
    Recently I picked up TNA- it is simple, with simple code and shots. Rinse and repeat and I mean rinse and repeat! “Street level” with no ramps- no amazing mechs. The game table is a bit shorter than most other pins. Reliability is ok. But….it is so FUN. Very fast with great music and sound system-really a wonderful experience. Co-op (you can do this by yourself, but much more fun with others) mode is cool.
    That’s my choice. But I am also 63 years old with bad eyesight, arthritis, etc… Screw anyone else’s opinions (including mine) and buy the game you like! Good luck and I hope you will share with us your choice…by the way you might as well think about game #3.
    Cheers!

Most definitely I will. Thanks!

#42 1 year ago

I think IM is going back on the line too now at stern if I remember correctly . Did anyone else hear that?

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Hi, anyone have any recommendations on what title I should buy next? Looking for my second game, something that is completely different from godzilla. Was thinking TNA, Centaur. Any suggestions? Thanks and happy new year!

Anything that works. Play strange pinball with weird people.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Probably can be had for cheap too I’m thinking. Premium or pro?

LZ premium

#45 1 year ago

Spinning your wheels thread.

#46 1 year ago

No matter how big your collection gets, it's always hard to decide what to get next. I've got a Godzilla and four old Bally/Williams pins, all of which play pretty differently than Godzilla: Attack From Mars, Twilight Zone, White Water, and World Cup Soccer.

I feel like any good WPC-era pin would be a good contrast but it's up to you what you enjoy.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

No matter how big your collection gets, it's always hard to decide what to get next. I've got a Godzilla and four old Bally/Williams pins, all of which play pretty differently than Godzilla: Attack From Mars, Twilight Zone, White Water, and World Cup Soccer.
    I feel like any good WPC-era pin would be a good contrast but it's up to you what you enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate yours and everyone’s input.

#48 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! Researching what machines to buy are the funniest part of pinball (:

#49 1 year ago

And don’t sweat about getting the wrong second game because there will be a third.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

And don’t sweat about getting the wrong second game because there will be a third.

Lol totally .

It’s going to be tricky enough though getting a second game that doesn’t look awkward but I can imagine how ridiculous things would get in the apartment with 3+ machines. Totally ridiculous. I might have to move (:

Besides safe cracker are there any other games slightly smaller than average size?

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/second-purchase-advice-?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.