Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Looking for a difficult, stripped down game good for coop/2+ players ”

• Nightmare castle 0 votes
    • TNA 0 votes
    • MAIDEN(pro) 0 votes

(0 votes)

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

If you are used to having a WORKING pinball, and are considering a different machine, well I'd tell anybody this:
    Make sure you've got a path to getting your pinball repaired.
    Pinballs break. They break a lot. Usually they break in simple ways that are easy to fix. Often they fail in ways that require specialty parts. Rarely, but often enough that you should take notice, they break in ways that require a skilled pinball technician to fix.
    Your pinball isn't going to be much fun if it isn't working.
    You've got a newly manufactured pinball. People here are suggesting Black Hole/Haunted House, which were considered at the time to be the hardest to reliably repair pinballs in history. Nowadays, with all the ground loops added, and a couple of replacement boards... well, 1981 is when they were made. They are forty-two years old. You may have a considerably different repair profile than your brand new Godzilla.
    As far as 'something that plays different than Godzilla', I agree...
    Nothing plays like Godzilla. It's a truly different game.
    My advice to you is this:
    Godzilla, I believe, is a legendary great game. I think that ten years from now it'll still be hovering in the top ten, top twenty of pinside's top 100 list. It's that good.
    I tell my customers all the time that when they already have one of the absolute top tier pinballs, and they want something else...
    You need to be VERY choosy!
    Consider ONLY the absolute top tier pinballs, because you are already starting with a play experience that is about as good as pinball gets.
    If you have played a lot of pinball, and no particular machine has made you fall in love, there is wisdom in the crowds. The top 100 pinball list will show you what a crowd of people think is great, particularly if the machine in the top 20 of that list has been around for a number of years.
    You won't go wrong with the top tier, and if you find that Medieval Madness isn't much fun for you, it is overwhelmingly likely that you'll be able to rapidly sell that machine for a bit or a lot more than you paid for it, making it a no-risk experiment.
    New Pinballs cost $10,000.
    (Premium Stern, with sales tax in North Carolina, where I'm at.)
    Once you get that number digested, it isn't too hard to think seriously about the machines that the Pinside top 100 list considers top tier.
    Lesser pinballs will cost less... but you are now accustomed to playing top tier. Trying to convince yourself that you'll have just as much fun with a lesser experience might not be the best decision.
    Now, if you fall in love with a machine... DO THAT!!!
    I happen to like a Gottlieb game called Rock. Nobody is likely to put that machine in the top 100 (maybe not in the top 200) pinballs of all time lists. But I like it. For me, it's got clean, compelling gameplay that just makes me happy.
    So, play some pinballs, find what makes you happy. And if you don't find a specific game that you fall in love with, trust the wisdom of crowds, and buy something top-tier.
    Enjoy!

Thank you sir! I definitely am relying on the top 100 list. Some of the newer games I’ve played already . So I know about them. Some of these older games in the top 100 I’m really intrigued by right now because they passed the time test and are highly regarded. Newer games definitely have big appeal because you know the technology end of the hood is new . And I have to admit, stern insider with the insider connect and Wi-Fi is next level awesome. Decisions, decisions..

#102 1 year ago

Flash Gordon or a TNA would get my endorsement as Keeper #2s.

I would not sleep on a game like Fish Tales if I was in your shoes and had the facility to find a local one for a good deal. It's a game that you will just mash the Start button on. And if you got tired of it, always an easy game to move along and replace.

I am one of the rare guys who think Iron Maiden is a better Elwin game than Godzilla, though.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

At my level of skill, Bram Stoker's Dracula is absolutely a top tier pinball.
    It's a bit of a one-trick pony. You get to multiball, while in multiball you enable a second multiball, while those multiballs are running you enable a third multiball.
    For my level of skill, I can make the shots, and I appreciate the value of a tough-as-nails left ramp shot (thank you Barry Oursler!).
    But I still am challenged by multiballs. So the game still has a lot to show me.
    Also, I was really amused by someone else who said this:
    (Plays, Bram Stoker's Dracula)
    F this game
    F this game
    F this game
    F this game
    F this game
    'THIIIIIRRRRRRTTTY MMMMIIIILLLIIIOOONNN!'
    (Weeps with joy, I love this game!)
    Hehe. Highly recommended.

The music, mood,voice over and lighting really look amazing on it.

Centaur and TNA too just set an awesome mood with the music it’s really appealing. Such opposition to godzilla.

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Thanks for the advice (:
    I’m considering everything you mentioned. Right now cantaur, bs Dracula, TNA, Flash Gordon are at the top of my queue amount some others everyone mentioned.
    Any thoughts on nightmare castle? Some people been recommending it.

Let me remind you, THEME, THEME, THEME goes a long way to driving your long-term interest. If Alice Cooper wasn't your cup of tea in the 80's, then Nightmare Castle may not hold your attention.

#105 1 year ago

I'm of two minds about Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's a cool game and a fairly unique layout that has managed to transcend the movie it was based on. I've heard it's tough, which is neither a plus nor minus for me. But the other thing I've heard is that it relies heavily on stacking multiple multi balls as the only route to really high scores. I've played it before on location which hasn't given me enough experience on it to tell if that's true or not but it would be a potential concern for home use if you're the sort of guy that wants to go for high scores - you either "do the thing" or you don't get as many points. If you just want the experience of playing then you're fine of course

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

I'm of two minds about Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's a cool game and a fairly unique layout that has managed to transcend the movie it was based on. I've heard it's tough, which is neither a plus nor minus for me. But the other thing I've heard is that it relies heavily on stacking multiple multi balls as the only route to really high scores. I've played it before on location which hasn't given me enough experience on it to tell if that's true or not but it would be a potential concern for home use if you're the sort of guy that wants to go for high scores - you either "do the thing" or you don't get as many points. If you just want the experience of playing then you're fine of course

I’m of the mindset with pinball maybe because I’m a casual is , is it simply fun to shoot on first and one hundredth play? does it stand out in the row? Does it hook me? Pass the eye test etc. I don’t look too deep until it’s proven the gut test. Lol

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I’m of the mindset with pinball maybe because I’m a casual is , is it simply fun to shoot on first and one hundredth play? does it stand out in the row? Does it hook me? Pass the eye test etc. I don’t look too deep until it’s proven the gut test. Lol

Another vote for Beatles. Very accessible, beautiful artwork, pretty popular band, fast nonstop action. I've had one since they came out and it holds up real well. Some purists don't like the one-level playfield or lack of 'toys' but the 2 spinners and 11 drop targets provide plenty of challenge.

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Another vote for Beatles. Very accessible, beautiful artwork, pretty popular band, fast nonstop action. I've had one since they came out and it holds up real well. Some purists don't like the one-level playfield or lack of 'toys' but the 2 spinners and 11 drop targets provide plenty of challenge.

I played it and lost three balls In like 30 seconds so I didn’t get into it. Maybe I’m judging it wrongly because of the difficulty and simplicity. I do want simplicity but I wasn’t particularly enamored with it because it was early boy band Beatles and just seemed too simple, basic. I need to give some of these games another chance. AC/DC, MAIDEN, IRON MAN, JURASSIC PARK, METALLICA, GNR, GHOSTBUSTERS just didn’t do anything for me but maybe I should consider giving them another look based on top 100. I’m sure like certain bands, foods some pins are an acquired taste

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I played it and lost three balls In like 30 seconds so I didn’t get into it. Maybe I’m judging it wrongly because of the difficulty and simplicity. I do want simplicity but I wasn’t particularly enamored with it because it was early boy band Beatles and just seemed too simple, basic. I need to give some of these games another chance. AC/DC, MAIDEN, IRON MAN, JURASSIC PARK, METALLICA, GNR, GHOSTBUSTERS just didn’t do anything for me but maybe I should consider giving them another look based on top 100. I’m sure like certain bands, foods some pins are an acquired taste

Over analyzing bro, who cares about the top 100. It’s pinball.

#110 1 year ago

Being in the top 100 means a lot of people like it, but ultimately only one person has to like it - you.

In my experience, the ranking isn't that important. Games in the 40's through 60's are still very good games and for most people indistinguishable from a game in the top 10. Theme is a big deciding factor, and understanding the basic rule of any game makes it much more enjoyable too.

On the other hand, if a game isn't in the top 100 it might be worth reading a few reviews to find out what people don't like about it. Sometimes it's just a victim of theme, or politics (a couple bad reviews from big YouTube or podcast personalities can kill a game unjustly, or outdated impressions on a game that had major code improvements later on. Many ratings are not quite fair, it's just something you have to live with.

#111 1 year ago

Tough question and cant be answered without more information like, how much are you willing to spend?

I have an IJ that I've owned for 25 years. I am getting a second machine too, so that I can have a "collection." I have been on the hunt for #2 for some time and finally committed to GZ (Premium). Expecting to get it in March/April. Based on my research, you should consider:

1. If money is no object, POC JJP (if you like the movies) or TBL (if you like bowling) or MM.
    2. If you can go in the $10K-$15K range, TZ, CV, TOTAN, TOM, IJ, FH, MB, DI, WW, WOZ, Hobbit, Tron, would all fit nicely as a #2 to GZ.
    3. If your price is more in $5K-$10K range, well, probably the best add would be LOTR, Shadow, SM, STNG.
    4. The older EMs may be cool, but you will probably get bored and/or frustrated with one of the them. If you go that route, try to score one that is generally recognized as beautiful and/or has a theme that connects with you....

#112 1 year ago

With my budget set around $6k I think my favorites are in that range are:

Flash Gordon
    Centaur
    Sorcerer
    BS Dracula
    8 ball deluxe
    TNA
    Nightmare Castle
    BKSOR PRO

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/second-purchase-advice-/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.