(Topic ID: 213437)

Second pin advice

By iloveplywood

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Sorry for the lame what should I buy post, but if anyone is bored enough to care I'd love the opinions! Anyway, I've had my first pin, a TAF, for 2.5 years now and I'm itching to try something new. My options include replacing the TAF, adding a second pin, or replacing the TAF with two new pins. The pins I'm thinking of are:

1. TWD. I love the theme and of course there's a lot of hype around this pin being one of the best. I don't "think" I'd mind a difficult game, but I'm a little worried about it as my only pin, especially because I'm sure my wife will hate the violent DMD.

2. Star Wars. Lots of negativity around this pin, but theme wise it would be a hit with my son (and I like the theme as well).

3. AFM /MM remake. Love these pins digitally and enjoy the humore.

4. BM66. Kind of a dark horse with the cost. But I really enjoy the theme (my son and have spent a lot of time laughing at the show in the past) and I've heard the code is coming around. Still, not sure it's worth the extra money.

My current thinking is to just get a TWD and put it by my TAF for now and see how it goes. Any thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Add one to the collection. I don't know how you held on 2.5 years before coming to the conclusion that you are addicted. It took me only 8 months from the time I bought my first game before I decided to add a 2nd. The 3rd one followed within 3 month of that one. Next thing I knew, I had 5.

So even if you try to stick to one, you will always want something different. It is time to add to that collection, not subtract. Play ball !!

#3 6 years ago

If you get TWD get a premium. Love mine. It has become my favorite stern.

#4 6 years ago

These decisions within decisions are going to drive me crazy. I keep hearing such conflicting advice on which TWD is the best. Good to hear you love it though.

#5 6 years ago

Prices on used TWD Premiums are super reasonable now. Pro is great too. That, and a SW pro will keep you happy for a LONG time.

#6 6 years ago

Dialed In. Amazing pin, Only negative is the price. In the same price range I’d also consider MMr and AFMr

#7 6 years ago

I have to admit, the TWD and SW combo seems really appealing.

I just played Dialed In and loved the way it shot, I'm just not sure about the theme and then with the cost I've sort of put it out of contention for the time being. I can see why people rave about it though, after playing it.

#8 6 years ago

If you are planning to build your collection quickly beyond 3 pins, I see no good reason to go beyond a pro for starters. It's not like the pinball collection judges show up and ding you for style points for getting a pro. Now, if you are only going to add another pin every 2-3 yrs, then it makes sense to step up to the premium level (If the game warrants it...)

OK, now that I have said that, I would recommend going for 1 of either TWD prem - OR - MET pro or Prem AND Then 1 of either AFM or MM.

#9 6 years ago

I'm sticking with a max two pins in the collection unfortunately (space and money). I'm thinking TAF is going to go sometime to make room for a different pin and I think I learned from the last two years that a second pin would be really nice to keep things from getting stale. I'm a little worried about getting rid of the TAF as I still enjoy it and it's a great wife theme, but I think it's time.

#10 6 years ago

SO, a 2 game collection, huh.... Any of the suggestions would work. You know, for long term play-ability it is hard to beat AFM or MM. Then throw in TWD, Met, SW or any of the recent Sterns and you can't go wrong. People love TWD for the rule set, but I am not in love with the theme, as I am not into Zombie culture. The other thing you can do is just get whatever 2 are easily accessible and plan to swap out wholesale every 2 yrs... TWD & SW would be awesome.

#11 6 years ago

I'm enjoying the hell out of BM66 and would recommend it. If the price and availability are scaring you off, see if you can hold off until the code hits 1.0; nobody wants to let go of them until they've played it with the completed code. I assume once that happens, a bunch of BM66 Premiums will come up for around the same price as a TWD Premium.

#12 6 years ago

Go on pinballmap.com
    Lots of games on location in Madison.

I found Addams Family’s layout constricting and would hesitate putting TWD next to it. There both great but I find both frustrating and two frustrating games as the only games yeah no.
    Your other choices might fit better.

#13 6 years ago

Keep TAF and add a second. There are many affordable choices. It’s called pinball “collecting”, not “swapping”

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

If you get TWD get a premium. Love mine. It has become my favorite stern.

+1, I like the premium better

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I'll update this thing when I make my final decision (exciting, I know).

#16 6 years ago

I would go with MMr or AFMr. Both games are home runs and family friendly. The humor sets them apart from all the rest.

#17 6 years ago

^ what he said

#18 6 years ago

Go hard or go home. TNA or BSD

#19 6 years ago

TWD Prem gets my vote.

Don't hesitate to get a SW if you like the theme, as it doesn't have any more negativity than others early in their life cycle. It is a really good machine. Heck, TWD was panned for months, but is now considered a great machine by most.

I own both and had a TAF. Either would compliment TAF's play well in a 2 game collection.

#20 6 years ago

I really enjoy my B66LE !! The play is simple and hard as hell!:)So,I would go for a B66!! If you do ,make sure it has all the current code! Lots of great mods now available as well! Yelobirds new atomic pile is a must!!Have fun,play ball!!!

#21 6 years ago

I love my bm66 too...and you can mod the heck out of it! The clips from the show just make you want to watch it all over again...it’s extremely well integrated. I’d highly recommend it...and as you said, the code has come a long way. Great game!

#22 6 years ago

Keep the TAF. Add a Williams IJ, if you want to go cheaper (but still a blast) — The Shadow, or if you want to go cheaper still (but still a blast) — a T2. My first pin was my TAF about 3 years ago. I’ll never get rid of it. T2 was my second pin because I didn’t have $5K+ for an IJ... TS will likely be next.

#23 6 years ago

Get the Data East Star Wars.

Node Board issues seem to be a common issue with the Star Wars I've seen.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/second-pin-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.